Can you help? These are new ports to me in Chile (and not much on the board)

Brahmama

We will make a 12 hour stop at Laguna San Rafael, Chile and a 6 hour stop at Puerto Chacubuco on our cruise in January. I haven't found out much about these stops and am hoping that someone has done some tours from these ports.

If so, please post and give your ideas, comments and suggestions!

Thanks,

Carol

We will make a 12 hour stop at Laguna San Rafael, Chile and a 6 hour stop at Puerto Chacubuco on our cruise in January. I haven't found out much about these stops and am hoping that someone has done some tours from these ports.

Thanks,

Carol

I just did the usual research on these since we will be there around New Years.

Laguna SR is apparently not a port, but a big laguna. Pretty in itself but one must take the ship's tour at ridiculous prices to get up-close and personnal with the glaciers. It is reportedly a sight not to be missed. The option to the ship's tour, that I found, was a tour out of Chacubuco, at an even more ridiculous price. But that takes 7-8 hours. The cruise lines aren't stupid, so they only stay in Chacubuco for 6-7 hours total...so you can't take that option. C'est la vie.

As for Chacubuco, there are great driving sights close by, no rental cars, the usual ship's tours, and hopefully some taxi's with enterprising drivers.

As you can read I'm not really enthralled with ship tours. Anyone who has done this route is invited to correct my research...please. And thanks for posting Carol, maybe we'll get educated.

Joe

I have been researching the ports for our Jan 28 cruise as well, and as you have stated, there isn't a lot of information available, especially for Chacabuco. My husband and I prefer not to take ship tours, unless there is not much else available, so I have been trying to find out as much as possible so that we can make some intelligent choices, making the most of each portcity.

So, like you, I appreciate any and all information supplied. At this point, we don't think we want to see penguins in every port. I know there is much more to see and do around the Horn.

Thanks,

Dee

Thanks, Joe and Dee, for the replies.

I spent a good portion of last night compiling info about these 2 ports, but some goes back to 2001 :eek: which is certainly dated, as far as price goes! I figure about 4 X whatever dollar amount was given. (maybe more)

I'll be glad to share it with you. We'll be on Oceania and I haven't found ANY other people on our particular cruise on CruiseCritics, so I feel very orphaned as I'm a CruiseCritics addict.

The most interesting thing to me (being a budget traveler) was one couple who took the BUS across the Andes and back and saw beautiful scenery. They said it was like a Greyhound. That was from the port that's right next to the Andes and this morning I can't remember which one it was!

If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to send you my compilation. Warning: I use a MAC so it may be formatted differently if you're on a PC.

Carol

I

So, like you, I appreciate any and all information supplied. At this point, we don't think we want to see penguins in every port. I know there is much more to see and do around the Horn.

Thanks,

Dee

Hi Dee,

I'm with you! I'm interested in seeing penguins maybe once or twice, but it's difficult finding information on other private excursions. We're doing the feb 25th, 2007 from BA to santiago on the infinity.

Maybe we can start a new thread on what to see other than penguins! ;)

Archived