New York City

cathyp1216

NYC isn't like any place else. Exactly how much do you want to spend? There are allegedly hotel rooms for $69 on sale (personally I'd be very leary of those) & there are rooms that cost $10,000 per night. Do you want inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap b/c that doesn't exist in NYC)? Do you want historic? Do you want to stay someplace famous like the Plaza or the Waldorf Astoria? Where do you want to stay?

We need more info to help you.

Here are my thoughts...

You have the right idea to go with Priceline but i still think you're going to have to raise your bid amount....

The typical large chain hotel (Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton, etc) in NYC booked conventionally often goes for $200+ per nite. Even the lower star rated hotels (Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, La Quinta, etc) still go well in excess of $100/nite.

Do a quick search on Orbitz or Expedia to get an idea of what hotel prices are going for on your dates.

If the above hasn't depressed you enough :) , the good news is that you're thinking about going with Priceline and NYC is a deeply discounted area thru the opaque services. However, although rates can sometimes be had around your $100 limit, given the prices i'm currently seeing (which can change up or down and my thoughts would change) my early indication is that it will currently take a little more than that.

Any midtown zone should be fine for your needs. Taxis are fairly inexpensive and easy enough to get anytime you need them.

Cathy --

You may want to consider something in NJ. Many hotels in Elizabeth (where Newark AP really is), Newark itself, Jersey City, Weehawken, Secaucus, East Rutherford, etc. are close enough to NYC that you can get a good deal (even w/o priceline) & only pay for public transportation in & out of the city. It's not too much money & even if you had to pay full taxi fare the next day to get all your luggage to the pier, it may save you $$ none the less.

Hi Cathy.

I stayed at a place called the Metro in Manhattan. I'll get the phone, prices etc to you shortly. For now just wanted to tell you that it was really nice and we were there between Christmas and New Years so the price I paid might be a bit higher than what you will have in September.

Like I said I'll see what I can find out for you.

Hi again,

Well I went to their website and saw that they are over the 200.00 mark for standard rooms. I checked my bill from when I stayed there and I got the PHSuite for 190.00 a night. My brother and sister in law paid 160.00 for a standard room. I booked it directly by phone, sometimes it's cheaper then what's advertised online. Also I only booked it two weeks ahead of time and they probably get cheaper as time goes on and room's aren't full.

Sorry to disapoint you. The hotel was wonderfull expecially the room I had but I was pretty shocked to see the current rates listed online.

Like I said I would call each hotel first to see what their rates are to have something to go by while shopping around with Orbitz, hotwire, etc.

Also I always do a standard search for reviews of the hotels I'm staying at to help me make up my mind. Like you I try to stay in the 100.00 - 200.00 range depending on the location etc.

Cathy,

I think that using Priceline would probably be your best bet. That way you'll get a decent hotel for your budget.

I really disagree with the recommendation of staying in New Jersey. Stay in NYC.

Don't worry about it being near the port. Trust me, you don't want a hotel near the port. Stay anyplace in midtown and take a taxi to the port. The difference in cabfares might add up to $5.00 difference. Big deal!

I don't know how Priceline divides up NYC in their request map, but I'd advise asking for midtown.

Hopefully, I can help. I just finished trying to help my mother and her friends find a reasonable, 4-star, near Time Square/Rockefeller Center area (Midtown West). I worked on this for quite awhile with Priceline for the nights of Sept. 24 and 25, which is in the same time period. However, we were looking for Friday and Sat. nights and I am not sure if these might be more expensive. I started out bidding low and over the course of a couple of months, I couldn't get anything. Midtown West in right in the middle of a lot of touristy things and not far from the port (a very short cab ride). Finally we had to up our bid to $155 and was accepted at the New York Hilton at Rockefeller Center. They were thrilled because New York tends to be very expensive and they couldn't come even near this price if they booked with another site. I know it isn't less than $100, but you will do better if you can stoop to a 3-star. Other people have gotten this hotel for quite a bit less on Priceline. I don't know why this particular time of the year is more expensive. Good luck.

Archived