Cave tubing Strenuous?

littlek

My 75 year old father is thinking about going cave tubing with us kids (okay we're 30, but still kids at heart). He's worried it will be too strenuous. How was the hiking and swimming, was it hard? Also, what if it rains and river currents? I know they use life jackets but rapids can be a little scary for someone not used to them.

Thanks in advance.

My 75 year old father is thinking about going cave tubing with us kids (okay we're 30, but still kids at heart). He's worried it will be too strenuous. How was the hiking and swimming, was it hard? Also, what if it rains and river currents? I know they use life jackets but rapids can be a little scary for someone not used to them.

Thanks in advance.

The actual cave tubing is no problem, BUT the walk there is about 40 minutes and over rough terrain. And its HOT, HOT and humid! You are carrying your tube during that walk too. If there has been too much rain then they cancel all cave tubing. I would not even call what we went through rapids! But I would be concerned about the walk for him. Of course it depends on his level of fitness. If he does go you may want to take some water with, one of those water bottles that you can wear around you neck and not have to carry.

You mentioned hot. I don't do hot and humid well but did want to try this excursion. How hot and humid does it tend to get in Dec.?

We'll be there in Dec and I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but with it being close to the equator, my thinking may not be accurate.

We had very little in the way of currents and with cave-tubing.com we don't do any paddling anyway...they do it for you. As for claustrophia, it is very dark inside the caves. We all have tiny lights that we wear but still it is pretty dark.

Doug

8/92 Monarch of the Seas

3/93 Mardi Gras

3/03 Victory

8/06 Glory

Is very little currect typical? We're going in Dec. and I had expected something more like river tubing with a current.

I'll rephrase it. The current didn't leave a lasting impression in that I can't remember how much there was 2 months ago. I was enjoying the trip down the river too much.

Doug

You mentioned hot. I don't do hot and humid well but did want to try this excursion. How hot and humid does it tend to get in Dec.?

We'll be there in Dec and I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but with it being close to the equator, my thinking may not be accurate.

I think hot and humid is pretty much the standard for them. I almost melted on the walk there, but I don't do humid very well.......

Pretty much no current except in 2 places that I remember.

We went in early January and there had just been a heavy rain the night before. The ship excursion was cancelled, but we still were able to go. We were with X-stream and they cell phoned the site to see how high the water was. If the water is too high there is not enough head clearance in the caves to sail through.

The weather was warm and humid, but the trail was shady and the guides would stop the group and point out interesting things along the path if he thought the older and out of shape folks (like us) were getting tired. The path was well worn and easy to navigate, but you need to wear old sneakers or sturdy water sandals (not flip-flops). Some poeple wore old sneakers and tossed them after the excursion. (The local folks were glad to get the discarded sneakers) They will show you how to fasten your life vest on your back so you won't get tired carrying it, and they didn't give us our head lamps until we were at the water, so only had to carry our tube. The current carries you slowly down the river all you need to do is paddle with your hands if you get too close to the shore or rocks......other wise just sail along......make sure you bring a waterproof camera with a flash.....ENJOY!

HI all! Will be on NCL in April. Just wondering...hubby has a little issue with claustrophobia. Are the caves very tight inside for the tubing?

The caves are dark but, they are very large. Very high ceilings. I suggest taking a waterproof flashlight with you. The head lamps you wear are not very strong.

The only part of the walk that was really strenuous was keeping up with the guide. Terrain is not very rough. If your Dad is in good shape he should be fine. Just let the guide know ahead of time to walk a bit slower so he can keep up.

It is one of the best excursions we have done on 10 cruises!

we are thinking about booking this in Belize, but my problem is..........are there creepy crawlys in the caves??? I hate, hate, hate spiders!!! I would probably drown myself in 3 inches of water trying to get away from one. And what about snakes in the waters? Hate them too...... Personally, I'd be perfectly content at the WET LIZARD sipping the best Pina Colada I've ever had and eating wonderful coconut fried shrimp.......but if DH wan't to do this tubing thing I may try it. TIA. Taz

We were told that the snakes and gators don't like the refreshing water. I didn't see any spiders either. I saw a blue lizard in the jungle, that was really the only thing. Although it was hot, the jungle is shady. The water is very refreshing and it was a great time. Our guide was Timmy. He was alot of fun! Sampled cashew wine on the bus. I liked it, some people did not. overall, I would do it again!

Some in our group have a bit of claustrophobia. I noticed that someone said the caves are large but someone else mentioned that if the river is high there isn't much clearance. About how much clearance is there above your head? Do you go in and out of caves throughout the trip down the river? How long are you in some of the caves?:eek:

We just came back about 3 weeks ago and they had plenty of rain previously. It takes about 20 minutes to go through the cavern. The wild life on the trail was nasty (ants only). They bite many a people. They are like fire ants and hurt like the ones here in Florida. It was extremely hot but we are talking about October here. I think that parts of the river was fast personally and if you don't have the arm strength to get back with the crowd you got into trouble off and on. Not extreme trouble but for a second kind of like OMG!!! I got shoved into little cubby holes and rocks off and on. It sounds like the water was faster than previous post on here because of the rain that they had earlier on. Take into consideration of the walk and the rest of the trip was really fun.

About how much clearance is there above your head? Do you go in and out of caves throughout the trip down the river? How long are you in some of the caves?:eek:

i just remember the one long cave in the beginning. It was an extremely tall ceiling. Oh and the water was very cold to me. Felt like a spring fed river.

You are never close to the tops (ceilings) of these caves. And, a lot of the time you can see light at either end or at one spot in the middle. It is not a claustrophobic experience. You do not come out of one cave and go into another. They are all connected like one big cave.

We were there in April and saw no bugs of any kind, no bats, no snakes, etc. We didn't even see ants. We did not even use insect repellant.

It was a wonderful trip!

I am with the one poster, I hate snakes too. So you are saying there are no snakes in the water right? I am afraid if I saw one...my goodness who knows what I would do. The other thing is i am terrified of rivers, currents ect! I would like to experience this but, I am now having second thoughts of it. Most of the people that have come back from this excursion all state it was a thrill and an absolute blast. I know I need to relax and just try it but, I am afraid of getting myself into trouble like falling off the tube and such.

I saw a bat when I was there in October, but no snakes and no spiders (i really HATE spiders).

When I picked my tube up to carry it through the rainforest, it has some large, scary-looking ants on it (they store the tubes on the ground). I brushed them off so I wouldn't get bitten.

Keep in mind that you ARE in a rainforest. There are definitely creatures out there, although the chances of you running into one are slim if you listen to your guides and stay on the trail. I did read a few posts about people being bitten while on this excursion (whether it was a snake or a spider or an ant if up for discussion), but I do think those occurrences are extremely rare. I would imagine that the wildlife doesn't particularly care for hundreds of talking, yelling people, so I think it's unusual to encounter a creature while on the excursion.

However, if you really nervous and scared about spiders and snakes--and whether or not you will run into one--you might not end up enjoying this excursion as much. I don't think you would be able to relax and enjoy the beauty if you are filled with anxiety. And it IS beautiful. The rainforest is amazing and the caves are very cool.

So, take everything with a grain of salt and judge how anxiety ridden you would be, then decide. It was a pretty neat excursion.

Archived