What's the Ocean Like at night? First Timer

melkara

Hey Everyone....

I am a gal from a BIG city..so smog and pollution keep us from seeing stars at night ..every now and then we catch a glimpse...but it is RARE....

I was wondering what it is like at night on the cruise ship....can you just see miles and miles of stars? Is it worth it to be out on deck late at night to experience the ocean at night?

I am just so looking forward to the endless skies...It would be perfect if they were filled with glowing stars....

melkara :o

We have a balcony cabin on the Conquest (Empress Deck). I was wondering if we leave the balcony door open at night, can you actually HEAR the ocean? Obviously, there aren't any crashing waves other than the wake coming from the ship, but I was just curious if it was worth sleeping with the balcony door open.

Obviously it depends on your weather how far your visibility will see but yes, you will definitely be pleased with what you see...love sitting out on the deck at night just laying there relaxing.

As far as hearing the ocean from the balcony - I say yes. I've never been higher then like deck 8 so I don't know about higher than that (on 9 this time) but I love sleeping with the door cracked a bit so I can hear. You might find it's hard to do so as many of the doors are heavy to keep you from doing that and wasting the AC probably but doable.

During the day, the ocean is the most magnificent deep blue color you've ever seen. Around the wake, it's a lighter, more turquoise-y color. Just incredible!

At night, you can't really see the color, because it's too dark. And if you're on a brightly lit deck, the stars aren't quite so visible... but if you can find a place where it's not real bright, you'll be amazed at how many stars you can see! It's as though the longer you look at the sky, the more stars are visible in between all the other stars. There's nothing more romantic!

Another cool thing at night is if there are lightning storms off in the distance. It can be perfectly clear where you are, but the visibility is so amazing that you can see these electrical storms (but not hear them) miles and miles and miles away. It's like it's your own personal fireworks display. :)

If you go to an open deck on deck 3,4 or 5 you can see and hear the ocean. Higher up it gets too bright because of the ships lights.

If you are cruising in the summer it may be too hot to keep your door open. I tried this at the end of August and the COndensation was horrible in the room.

As Shelli said, if you can find a spot away from the bright ship lights, you can see many more stars. Even better, get hold of a pair of binoculars, and the amount you can see multiplies.

The best we've ever seen is on Lake Nasser in Egypt, as the decks tend to have subdued lighting, and most of the time there is nothing out there except lake and desert - you can't believe how many stars you can then see.

Second to sailway, the night sky and the dark waves below may be the most cruise-like experience of your trip.

If you can't stare at the vast emptiness of the water before you or the endless skies above - and forget all your worldly troubles.....you are not doing it right.

Many of the more dedicated stargazers will find the darker areas of the ship to help expose the fainter stars and galaxies. We often take a towel and cover any glaring deck lights on a top deck somewhere. This is done with common sense and courtesy of course.

Explore each of the decks where you can have access to the stern of the ship. At least one of them should offer a wonderful lighted view of the ships wake. Again, it shoud not take much effort to imagaine the daily bussle of your city-gal life, to simply vanish in that wake all the way to the horizon.

Yes, on most all balconies you can hear the rush of the water going past. As mentioned above and many bungee-cord posts, leaving the door open all night is sometimes frowned upon by the cruiselines.

Archived