What excursions do you recommend?

My husband-to-be (next month!) and I are honeymooning on Explorer of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) on Nov. 26. We're visiting Nassau, San Juan, Charlotte Amalie, and St. Maarten. What shore excursions do you recommend?

(we've already booked a dolphin encounter during our stop-over in Nassau, but we don't know what to see/do on the other islands).

In St Maarten do the "America's cup Regatta" you get to race against another boat and be the crew. It is still one of my favorite tours. San Juan, you could go on your own to El Morro and San Cristobel the two forts, there are free green trolley to take you there or you can walk though it is all uphill. The rainforest is also wonderful.

Sue

In San Juan I suggest that you take a taxi up to El Morro and then wander your way back down through Old San Juan, maybe stopping at the other fort.

In St. Maarten, the best excursion is the America's Cup Regatta is fabulous! You get to crew one of the yachts that was in the real regatta and race against other cruisers on another yacht. There is a job for eveyone from grinder to timekeeper. (Check out my signature for photos of that excursion.)

St. Thomas has great snorkeling and beaches. You could even go over to St. John for a wonderful day. We love the beaches and snorkeling over there.

What a wonderful honeymoon you will have!

In our experience, most of the shore excursions are not worth the $$. Many pack you on busses with many others and drive you around the island.:( Have never experienced the America's cup as at our stage in life we are not into being part of a "crew" but it may be good for a young couple.:)

On Sint Maarten we have found a nice way to explore the island both Dutch and French sides is to rent a jeep at the port and exlore on our own. Sint Maarten has some fabulous beaches particularly on the french side:D They will give you a map with the jeep and if you can follow a simple map, you should have no trouble. The islaners are very friendly and welcoming. We have done this many times. If you do take this advise, be sure not to miss Frier's Bay on the French side, beautiful local beach that is un-crowded, a nice place to spend a few hours or the entire day. On the road to Frier's Bay there is a little place called the "Gut Side Bar & Grill. Stop & see Richard. Great out of the way place to get some "local flavor", he makes his own Guavaberry, yum! Good luck, enjoy Sint Maarten!

How is the America's Cup for kids (9 yo girl)?

Have a great time at your wedding & honeymoon!! 11/26 is my anniversary, we got married on Hawaiian cruise.

Your daughter will love it, I was 40 and worked as a winch wench, it was so much fun and if your daughter is petite they will make her something that doesn't require alot of strength. We had a 92 year couple on board who were celebrating their 50 th anniversary. The woman cheered us on and the husband timed us. They had a blast and were the first in line to buy the picture that they take of you while the boat is in full sail and racing along. So age or strength is not a factor.

Archived