Prinsendam AB verandah suite question

GAJE

We just had AB 195 on the Promenade deck (Prinsendam) put on hold for us. The location and room sq. footage sound great - better than A verandahs on the upper deck. The small print on the schematic of the deck plan says that this room does not have a walk in closet. Is that a big deal? We have sailed on the Amsterdam and the Ryndam, and although those verandah suites are larger, there certainly were no walk in closets. This cruise is the AMAZON EXPLORER in 2008. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this cruise.

Thank you for any help!

Betty

All of the original cabins on Prinsendam have walkin closets. Prinsendam was not built for HAL, it was originally the Royal Viking Sun, so it is different from all other HAL ships in some ways. The cabins numbered 190 to 199 were added later when the "Midnight Sun" lounge was removed, so those cabins are not the same as other cabins on the ship. That's why they make sure that people know about the lack of a walkin closet. The closets are more like what you have seen on the other HAL ships. People that have sailed in those cabins have almost always had good things to report. The favorites are 196 and 197, which are larger and have the largest balconies.

Grumpy: I am so glad you jumped in on this, as I remember you and Slinky cruised on the Prinsendam. Are you sure about 196 and 197? They look bigger on the deck plan, but the AA sq. footage is listed as 228 sq. ft. as opposed to the 264 for the AB. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

Betty

Grumpy: I am so glad you jumped in on this, as I remember you and Slinky cruised on the Prinsendam. Are you sure about 196 and 197? They look bigger on the deck plan, but the AA sq. footage is listed as 228 sq. ft. as opposed to the 264 for the AB. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

Betty[/Q

Cabin 196 & 197 are positively larger with very large verandas. However, 195 is a great choice and also has a slightly deeper veranda than the other AB Cat cabins. Grumpy said it better than I, if you have sailed on other HAL ships the closets are very similar to those. If you want the exact measurements of your cabin and veranda you can call the 800 # for reservations and them for measurements of your cabin on the Prom Deck and then ask them for the same Cat cabin on a different deck. This is awonderful ship and I only wish we were joining you. Have a wonderful time.

We sailed in 196 and it does have a walk in closet. It may have a bit less square footage wise in the room itseld because of it's pie-wedged shape, but it makes up for it in windows and balcony!!

Looking forward to sailing on the Prinsendam in Cabin 196 next August again!!:D

Thanks for your very helpful responses. I talked to HAL last night and detemined that 196 and 197 are larger!! This morning we changed our request to 196 and booked it. YEA!! Now we have more than two years to contemplate this cruise!!!!!

Betty

Betty: you have chosen well! We had #197 last year (on the same cruise with localady) and it became DW's favorite cabin, ever! It is the starboard twin of 196. We really enjoyed the picture window which gives those two cabins a sense of spaciousness and you still have a huge verandah to boot! True walk-in closet, tons of storage space and double vanity make these two Prinsendam cabins wonderful. Also we found being on that deck just unbelievably convenient. I will be glad to share photos as well if you would like some.

Bill: I would love to see your pictures. It is interesting that the HAL fare summary for that AA cabin indicates that it is smaller than the AB. A phone call to HAL clarified that. The young lady indicated that 196 and 197 were over 330 sq. ft. I wonder if that included the verandah, although I know that space is not typically added in.

Thanks! Betty

Betty: email me for the pics. My email address is: buffnbou at cox dot net ( I spelled it out to minimize risk of it becoming a spam magnet). Be sure to ID your email subject as coming from a CCer so I don't inadvertantly dump it! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived