Best place to see penguins and other shore excursion questions....

haras

Hello,

I'm helping my parents with their shore excursions for the celebrity infinity cruise from BA to valparaiso. From the reading I've done, it seems like there are a lot of penguins in the ports the ship docks at. Where is the best place to see the penguins? The ship docks at: montevideo, puerto madryn, port stanley, ushuaia, punta arenas, and puerto montt.

What else would you recommend they do in these ports? I think for montevideo, they will go to Punte Del Este. Is it warm enough to swim here? Is there another recommended place to swim before they head south and it becomes cold?

I would love for them to be able to swim in a chile port as well. Is the water clear in south america like it is in the carribean?

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions.

Hello,

I'm helping my parents with their shore excursions for the celebrity infinity cruise from BA to valparaiso. From the reading I've done, it seems like there are a lot of penguins in the ports the ship docks at. Where is the best place to see the penguins? The ship docks at: montevideo, puerto madryn, port stanley, ushuaia, punta arenas, and puerto montt.

What else would you recommend they do in these ports? I think for montevideo, they will go to Punte Del Este. Is it warm enough to swim here? Is there another recommended place to swim before they head south and it becomes cold?

I would love for them to be able to swim in a chile port as well. Is the water clear in south america like it is in the carribean?

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions.

The best places for penguins:

Puerto Madryn: Punta Tombo. 2 hour drive mostly on unpaved road, but an easy walk at the reserve. Penguins walk amongst you.

Punta Arenas: Seno Otway. Easy 1 hour drive mostly on paved roads, but a long walk at the reserve. You see penguins from close jumping into the sea.

Port Stanley: only place where you will se Gentoo and King Penguins, but expensive. Celebrity has a lock on all penguin tours to the 3 private coves. We were lucky to see 1 King penguin at Gypsy Cove from a distance at the only public reserve. rest are all private.

Montevideo is on the River Plata (Rio de la Plata) and the water looked very muddy.

Swimming may be best in Vina del Mar right next to Valparaiso, Chile.

We did not try to swim anywhere nor did we talk to anyone who did!

HI Dileep,

Thanks for your reply. Your advise is always appreciated. I'm confused. with the hot weather that nobody would go swimming? I recall reading that in BA, the weather can get as hot as 90 or 95 degrees!

HI Dileep,

Thanks for your reply. Your advise is always appreciated. I'm confused. with the hot weather that nobody would go swimming? I recall reading that in BA, the weather can get as hot as 90 or 95 degrees!

BA is also on a river with muddy water. My guess is that most people used their limited port time to sightsee. Plenty of people in the pool on the ship on sea days.

We saw people on the beach in Montevideo and Vina del Mar but did not get close enough to see if anyone was swimming.

Archived