Driver in Casablanca

bldsld

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private car and driver in Casablanca? We are interested in having a private tour when the Legend docks there on November 7th (we've already voted!!!).

Thanks in advance!

Denyse

Hi Denyse,

I heard only good things about Seabourn's excursions in Casablanca, so you might want to check them out when you are on the ship.

We went to Marrakesh on Seabourn's excursion and I highly recommend it, however it's a very l o n g day, but well worth it. The trip each way to Marrakesh is 2 hours, but the tour uses luxury motorcoaches so it's extremely comfortable, plus the scenery you see on the trip is not to be missed. There is a stop each way for a break to stretch. The experience in Marrakesh is very unique. There were only 12 in our group and we were led on a walking tour through the souks, palaces and other residential areas that other tour groups did not take people. The guide was excellent and very knowledgable and hospitable. Around noon, we had an authentic Morrocan restaurant complete with a belly-dance show. We were also taken to the famous "Square" in Marrakesh that has fortune tellers, snake chamers and other peddlers. It's lined with cafes and shops.

If you or anyone else takes this tour, bring water and get a good night's rest the night before. I also took a small snack from room service breakfast to eat on the way.

I also hate to say this but bringing a supply of toilet tissue in your purse would be a good idea too! :o

If you need any other info - let me know! Enjoy the cruise!!!

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information about the ship's tour (and the TP warning). :o

We would prefer a shorter tour than the one to Marrakesh (I don't think my back could handle such a long drive on a motorcoach), much as we would like to go. We will take your advice about sticking with one of Seabourn's offerings, as Ken is not particularly keen to do independent touring in Casablanca.

Hope all is well in FL.

Denyse

I arranged a private car through the onboard Seabourn office for Casablanca last year. I had a car and driver and an English speaking guide. It worked very well and was not expensive. I think the time was 4 hours, which would have been enough.

The problem was that it was rainy, the day after the end of Ramadan and a national holiday. Nothing was open and that made it a bit difficult. <G> But I found it interesting to ride around and finally, there was one government-sponsored souvenier shop open for the cruising tourists docked in the city. I ended up returning an hour early, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Jane

Please say 'Hello' to Monika for me. I don't think she will be on my LA>FLL Canal cruise. I mean, who said our favorites could take vacation, anyway??

And Denyse, when are we going to sail together?

Hi Jane and Lola,

Jane, I will be sure to say hello to Monika for you. In answer to your question, our next cruise after this crossing is on the Pride, April 24th-May 12th, 18-days from Athens to Lisbon. Care to join us????

Lola, I know you want me to say hello to Luca!!! I don't even need to ask!!!;)

Denyse

Denyse,

I was the one who helped convince Matt to take the Seabourn excurision to Marrakech and his description above echoes the sentiments in the thread I started to elicit discussion on the tour. However, I beg to differ with Matt regarding the driving time from Casablanca to Marrakech. The 160 mile one-way trek in 2002 took 4 hours each way. I think the hours of driving time puts a lot of folks off, but I still say it is worth it.

It really was a great shore excursion and the value received for the cost of the tour was well worth in my opinion. The link below takes you to my "propaganda campaign" to interest Matt going to Marrakech.

[thread]319184[/thread]

See you and Ken in Malaga!

I beg to differ with Matt regarding the driving time from Casablanca to Marrakech. The 160 mile one-way trek in 2002 took 4 hours each way.

Paul, Maybe it was 4 hours each way but it didn't seem like it. A good part of the ride was on a freeway which maybe was not there when you visited in 2002.

Yes, you did convince me and I thank you very much for doing so! :D

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information about the ship's tour (and the TP warning). :o

We would prefer a shorter tour than the one to Marrakesh (I don't think my back could handle such a long drive on a motorcoach), much as we would like to go. We will take your advice about sticking with one of Seabourn's offerings, as Ken is not particularly keen to do independent touring in Casablanca.

I just now saw your post. Taking care of your back is important! Have your camera ready when you drive away from the warf. Right as you drive through the gate to exit / enter the port area, is the low rent district and I saw more satellite dishes than in my hometown - this amused me. It was dark when we left and returned from the tour, so I could not get the picture. :(

Paul, Maybe it was 4 hours each way but it didn't seem like it. A good part of the ride was on a freeway which maybe was not there when you visited in 2002.

Yes, you did convince me and I thank you very much for doing so! :D

Matt,

I do not recall a freeway back in 2002, so that would be a big help. The traffic in Casablanca and Marrakech was the largest factor in the commute time.

The pleasure was all mine, I assure you! :D :D That is the purpose of this foum: the exchange of information, ideas and experiences. :)

>"Care to join us????"

Sure, if you are buying..and I don't mean just the BBC's! I am signed up for the Legend at the end of July, from Monte Carlo and back; going to Venice and the Dalmation coast. I am 'majoring' in the eastern Mediterranean and eastern Pacific next year.

J

Archived