Snorkeling - Shore or Excursion?

Lsimon

We're at Grand Cayman next week, cruise sails this Friday.

We're interested in some good snorkeling. We've been to sting ray city three times, and have no interest in going back to see the sting rays again. But we would like to snorkel.

We're considering either going on an independent Sting Ray City excursion that has two snorkeling stops in addition to sting ray city - like the Buccaneer, or just going to Eden Rock area and snorkeling off shore.

I'd like to hear some opinions based on experience as to which we'd find better overall snorkeling at? Also, does anyone have any other recommendations? I'd love to find a snorkeling excursion that concentrates just on snorkeling and doesn't spend time at sting ray city. Only options I've seen for that is a private charter - which is not what we want this trip.

Shore snorkel for sure. I snorkeled cheeseburger last year from shore and ended up with 20 people when their excusion boat stopped 30 yards from shore to let them off. Eden rock same thing. the boat tour was snorkeling the same place as DS was from shore.

Hi,

We've been to Sting Ray City as well with Nativeway and it was great but this time we just want to beach it and do some snorkeling. Where is Eden Rock and Cheeseburger? Do you need to take a taxi or bus to get there? We have our own snorkel equipment but we don't have life vests.....we usually rent those. Is there anywhere there to rent them? We leave Dec 1st for our Dec 3rd cruise so I appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Beachbuddy

Where is Eden Rock and Cheeseburger? Do you need to take a taxi or bus to get there? We have our own snorkel equipment but we don't have life vests.....we usually rent those. Is there anywhere there to rent them? We leave Dec 1st for our Dec 3rd cruise so I appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Beachbuddy

Eden rock is the closest, when you get off the tender walk down the street to your right, you will see a dive center that rents out equipment, it's about a 3 minute walk.

Cheese Burger reef,

Walk to the left as soon as you get off the tender, past the Wreck of the Cali (you can also snorkel there) just keep on walking. Right past Burger King you will see a small beach cove. (By now you have walked 10 minutes) Get in the water and snorkel to the many buoys found just off the beach.

Last time we were there I booked the Nativeway Tour ahead of time (only $25) and we did Sting Ray City and Coral Gardens. We asked to be dropped off at 7 mile beach afterward so we could grab some lunch and spend time on the beach. I can't remember exactly where they dropped us off at but we had a good lunch (a little espensive, but everything in GC is) - I want to say it was at a Holiday Inn, but I really can't remember. They had a lot of seating outside, but there was a roof over our heads. We met friends from the ship there and they snorkeled.......they saw a hugh turtle in the water.

Well, have to go get ready for work!

Beachbuddy

We went to GC last year. We book a snorkling tour through the cruise line. The ship didn't arrive on time and the tenders were disorginized. We waited an hour at the pier because our excursion late. So our we ended up on another ships snorkling excursion. We took a 10min boat ride (still within eyesight of the dock) then snorkled at the ship wreck (by cheese buger reef). Our 4hr tour ended up lasting 1 1/2hrs.

Had we walked off the tender without any plans we could have snorkled for 2 1/2hrs and saved $40. Go figure.:cool:

Thanks for the thumbs up on Eden Rock.

We snorkeled at Eden Rock last week and had a fantastic time. The snorkeling was incredible. We've been there three times before, and the last time conditions were not great and the currents were strong, and the other times were so long ago we'd forgotten.

This time seas were very smooth, not much (if any) current, and the sun was out. Wow! I'm glad we choose to snorkel there as it was very convenient.

We went to the Eden Rock dive center, rather than stopping at the Paradise restaurant - as Eden Rock seemed to have more space, had lockers available, and had a fresh water shower by the water. We rented fins there as we'd decided not to lug ours around. We have some cheap neoprene socks that help walking on rocky areas into the water a little, but have no sole, and also keep the full foot snorkeling fins from chafing our ankles & feet. The people at Eden Rock were very helpful and pointed out where the Eden Rock reef and the other different reefs were - which was also very helpful. We saw tons of fish, varied kinds, and some common ones (parrot fish and yellow snappers) that were larger than we've seen before. Also saw several large schools of fish.

After snorkeling a couple hours we walked about 10 minuites towards, and past, the tender pier to have lunch at Hammerheads. The food was just what we were looking for - a fresh fish lunch. BUT... we wished we had started earlier and had more time as Hammerheads is right in front of another snorkeling area where there is a shipwreck, (Cala?). We would have liked to try that too - and will plan to do both Eden Rock and the Cala next time we're in GC!

Archived