Avoiding I-45 via back roads from South of Fort Worth?

kftw

I know at some point we will have to get on I-45 to cross the bridge into Galveston. In the past when going to Houston we have always taken the back roads to avoid I-45 going to the Richmond area.

We will be coming from just South of Fort Worth. Anyone in the area have any suggestions? Where is a good spot to get onto I-45?

Thanks for your help.

Not sure exactly why you would want to avoid I-45 through Houston and south into Galveston. If you are coming from south of Fort Worth wouldn't it just be easier to go east to I-45 south of Dallas (Corsicana?) and stay on I-45 until you get to the cruise port turn-off at Harborside in Galveston? That's a straight shot and the most direct way to go.

Coming into Houston from the north, you could take either Beltway 8 (tollroad) or 610 Loop in the northern section of Houston and hook up with I-45 again in the southern suburbs. That would let you avoid the downtown area but, honestly, I think it would be more trouble and extra miles/time than it was worth.

I'm out on the roads here a lot as a real estate appraiser and, unfortunately, if you must travel around/through Houston during rush hours, traffic is just something you have to endure. If the state legislators from the Houston area ever can get the control of the highway funds that the Dallas contingent has had, perhaps we'll have a roadway system like our neighbor's to the north enjoy. LOL

There is nly two times during the day you would want to avoid I-45, early AM whie folks are trying to get to work and afternoon when everyone is trying to get home. On weekends, any time is good!.

There is one area that might cause a delay, it is I-45S and Dixie farm road overpass. There are six lanes, I-45, Beltway 8, and feeder road on ramps that funnel together into 3 lanes just before the overpass. Whoever designed this was not too smart!!

There is one area that might cause a delay, it is I-45S and Dixie farm road overpass. There are six lanes, I-45, Beltway 8, and feeder road on ramps that funnel together into 3 lanes just before the overpass. Whoever designed this was not too smart!!

.....yeah......the ole "Dixie Chicken slowdown"......seems to be worse for the weekenders coming down to Galveston sometimes:confused:

Well .... the earlier comment about only having problems during rush hour traffic is right ..... only problem is ... we have SEVEN hours of rush hour every day! :eek:

I'm on I-45 every day and it really depends on when you're going to be on it. Are you driving in on a Saturday morning for a departure? If so, just take 45 all the way and, unless there's a wreck, you probably won't have any issues at all.

If you're coming on a weekday, it would depend on the time of day that you'll be coming through town as to which way I'd recommend you go. On any weekday I would probably *not* take I-45 all the way through -- even if I had to drive farther. Here in Houston we don't tell people "how far" something is ... we tell them "how long" it'll take to get there! :rolleyes: I often will drive 5-10+ miles to save 20-45 minutes!

Lemme know and I'll tell you what *I* would do!

Tris Z

Well .... the earlier comment about only having problems during rush hour traffic is right ..... only problem is ... we have SEVEN hours of rush hour every day! :eek:

I'm on I-45 every day and it really depends on when you're going to be on it. Are you driving in on a Saturday morning for a departure? If so, just take 45 all the way and, unless there's a wreck, you probably won't have any issues at all.

If you're coming on a weekday, it would depend on the time of day that you'll be coming through town as to which way I'd recommend you go. On any weekday I would probably *not* take I-45 all the way through -- even if I had to drive farther. Here in Houston we don't tell people "how far" something is ... we tell them "how long" it'll take to get there! :rolleyes: I often will drive 5-10+ miles to save 20-45 minutes!

Lemme know and I'll tell you what *I* would do!

Tris Z

Thanks Tris Z. We'll be coming in on a Friday probably early afternoon between 1 & 2 if not earlier. Don't mind the extra miles.

Thanks Tris Z. We'll be coming in on a Friday probably early afternoon between 1 & 2 if not earlier. Don't mind the extra miles.

Then just take I-45 the whole way. Not sure what the big deal is...especially at that time of day.

You may be thinking of taking 6....Some people head 35,and hook up to hwy 6...You know,through Waco, then down through College Station to Hempstead....then around 610 to 45...

I used to live in FW (Burleson,and Hillsboro Stephenville as well) I took this way hope quite often...much easier than doing 287 over to 45 at times...

And if construction is still bad around Corsicana...I would do it!!!

You may be thinking of taking 6....Some people head 35,and hook up to hwy 6...You know,through Waco, then down through College Station to Hempstead....then around 610 to 45...

I used to live in FW (Burleson,and Hillsboro Stephenville as well) I took this way hope quite often...much easier than doing 287 over to 45 at times...

And if construction is still bad around Corsicana...I would do it!!!

Thank you. That's just information I was hoping for. We are going to give it a try.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

On a Friday afternoon, I'd take:

I45 south to The Woodlands

Hardy Tollroad south to 610

610 loop east/south and reconnect with I45 on south end of the city.

I45 south to Galveston.

I admit up front that this is probably not much quicker, but 30 miles of Hardy and avoiding downtown Houston is stress free.

On a Friday afternoon, I'd take:

I45 south to The Woodlands

Hardy Tollroad south to 610

610 loop east/south and reconnect with I45 on south end of the city.

I45 south to Galveston.

I admit up front that this is probably not much quicker, but 30 miles of Hardy and avoiding downtown Houston is stress free.

I'm with Shygnome on this one, you catch the Hardy Toll Rd. just past the Woodlands after the Rayford Sawdust exit. There will be two toll stations @ $1.25 each but a relaxed easy drive for that 30 miles.

The forever construction before Corsicana has been cleared, you will still get congestion from Conroe down to the Woodlands, and slow at Dixie FM.

Do not take Beltway 8 East it isn't finished. You can take 35 down to Waco and cut down to 290 and the Sam Houston Toll Rd. West around the City, but you sure add a lot of miles.

Well luckily all the construction on 377 there in Midlothian is cleared up. They constructed a loop around the town so no stopping. Still a little in Corsicana..but thats JUST comin back....so no biggie...but we DID run into houston during "Non peak" traffic times....and found a Major accidentthat had the whole interstate CLOSED....i was MAD!! LOL

ive never done it, but heard it was easy, as the previous poster said, to take 35 to waco...6 to hempstead, and then 290 on over to 610, AROUND to the south side of the city , then catch 45. Hope thatworks for ya! WE may try itsome day just for fun!

This thread has been very helpful.......I think we are driving down to Galveston from OKC to catch the Voyager.......normally we fly if we can.

So what time does the Houston "rush hour(s)" start in the afternoon time period??

Since Burleson is on 35, I'd take it to 6 to 290. But, I would take the Sam Houston Tollway West around the City, as 610 has some of the worst traffic in Houston around the Gallaria area.

The Sam Houston will have 4 toll stops @ $1.25 each, but it's easy driving.

The traffic starts building about 3:30 until after 6.

Since Burleson is on 35, I'd take it to 6 to 290. But, I would take the Sam Houston Tollway West around the City, as 610 has some of the worst traffic in Houston around the Gallaria area.

The Sam Houston will have 4 toll stops @ $1.25 each, but it's easy driving.

The traffic starts building about 3:30 until after 6.

Agree!! If coming from the west or Northwest (290) this is the way to go.

Be clear, if from the north (I45/Hardy), TAKE 610 EAST. 610 west from there is a nightmare (not to mention the wrong way since I45 really moves to a southeasterly direction south of downtown). Check it out on the map at this link:

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-95.296783&lat=29.825157&mag=9

Also, you will want to clear the south side of Houston on 610 no later than 3:30pm. Northside shouldn't be a factor on the Hardy.

Archived