pleading to past passengers on POA

stingraynz

I hope you guys can help me! I 'm a little confused about the itinerary & map regarding the sail past Kilauea on NCL's website for Pride of Aloha sailing on March 25 2007. We are booked - I am just not sure about the balcony location we chose.

Looking at the itinerary map on NCL’s website it is very misleading and I think incorrect. I have been to Hawaii many times so very familiar with the geography, but this is my first sail around the Islands and looking forward to seeing that volcano.

On day 3 the itinerary shows leaving Kauai at 1pm and it states there is an evening sail past Kilauea. The next morning (day 4 we are in Hilo) and the next port day 5 we are in Kona, and so on. OK so far so good everything is excellent!

According to the itinerary and MAP we will be sailing from Kauai heading down south, and then going in between Maui and The Big Island (the north side of the Big Island) and over to Hilo. Where is the evening sail past Kilauea? The volcano is on the southeast quad of Hawaii. Does the ship perhaps continue past Hilo and around the east side to see Kilauea and back up to Hilo OR does the ship just sail from Kauai and go straight down the west side of the Island chain around the volcano and over to Hilo? Either way, the map seems incorrect.

OR the next day (sail away on day 4) when we sail from Hilo to Kona does the ship sail past Kilauea at that point? If this is the case, the map is wrong as it shows the ship sails back around the north end once again passing Maui and not Kilauea. Plus, the itinerary is wrong as it clearly states the sail past Kilauea is on day 3.

We are deciding on our room location. I want to know what side of the ship sails past the volcano so we can choose our room according to this. I know we can watch from the upper decks and yes, I know the captain swings the ship around. But there is the option of seeing it approach and sail away from our balcony (with a little planning on our part) so we can enjoy our balcony and some room service etc.

I have done the deck thing when we sailed past Monserrat and we were in an inside room so we had no choice. ;) It is just nice to have your own chair on your own spot. :)

So I am pleading to the past passengers to tell me what NCL can’t. What day is the sail by Kileaua. Is it before Hilo or on the way from Hilo to Kona? What is the route that you took? You guys are the only ones that clean up NCL’s misleading inconsistencies. :)

I should mention we are on the starboard side currently. How long does the sail past Kilauea take?

Thanks so much!

Cruise Itinerary

All itineraries are subject to change without notice.

DayPort of CallArrivalDeparture

SunHonolulu, Oahu --8:00 pm

MonNawiliwili, Kauai 7:00 am --

TueNawiliwili, Kauai --1:00 pm

WedHilo, Big Island 9:00 am 6:00 pm

WedCruise Kilauea Volcano ----

ThuKailua-Kona, Big Island 7:00 am 6:00 pm

FriKahului, Maui 8:00 am --

SatKahului, Maui --9:30 pm

SunHonolulu, Oahu 7:00 am --

This is your intinery from "Travelocity", you will leave Hilo at 6:00 P.M.

and will cruise by Kilauea around 10:00 P.M. etc, we cruised this route with the Pride Of America. :cool:

Kilauea will be visible first on the Starboard Side (Right) but the captain will do a 360 so all get a view of it. You will need will time lapse photography to get decent photos.

Thanks RSWbadger for taking the time to look at travelocity. I too have been checking other sources of info and that seems to make the most sense comapred to what NCL had. From the other posts on this board regarding this subject almost all replys have been from POAm or POH cruisers. I guess I can conclude that the POA itineraries would be similar and just on rotating schedules.

So now it is a toss up NaPali viewing or Kilauea? I think we will keep our starboard balcony and enjoy.

Thanks again.

stingraynz: We're doing port side for the Na Pali coast viewing and also because the captain turns the ship around at the volcano/lava viewing (so port side does get some viewing), plus we've heard that the best volcano viewing is actually on deck.

I don't know where on earth they came up with that wrong itinerary. For pity's sake, it's more than 300 miles from Kauai to the southern tip of the BI. Not even physically possible at top speed to leave at 1 pm and do lava viewing the same night. Someone messed up big time, IMO.

beachchick

Does anyone know if the 4/30/07 POH cruise will sail past the volcano? It has a non-standard itinerary, with Kona and Hilo reversed. The person I spoke to at NCL said that it will not sail by the volcano, but some of the other info that I was given was of questionable accuracy.

Mitsguy2001, I would check again with NCL. This is what I pulled off of their website, and it doesn't list the April 30 cruise. It actually only lists 2 sailings in April. Good-Luck!!

7 - Day Hawaii Round-trip Honolulu

Ship: Pride of Hawaii

Embarkation Port: Honolulu

Ports of call: Honolulu; Hilo; Maui (Kahului); Kona; Kauai

2007: Feb 5, Feb 12, Feb 19, Feb 26, Mar 5, Mar 12, Mar 19, Mar 26, Apr 2, Apr 9, May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28,

Mitsguy2001, I would check again with NCL. This is what I pulled off of their website, and it doesn't list the April 30 cruise. It actually only lists 2 sailings in April. Good-Luck!!

7 - Day Hawaii Round-trip Honolulu

Ship: Pride of Hawaii

Embarkation Port: Honolulu

Ports of call: Honolulu; Hilo; Maui (Kahului); Kona; Kauai

2007: Feb 5, Feb 12, Feb 19, Feb 26, Mar 5, Mar 12, Mar 19, Mar 26, Apr 2, Apr 9, May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28,

NCL lists April 16 and April 30 seperately, because they have different itineraries than their usual cruises. So NCL is still listing April 30. I wonder why Travelocity isn't. I hope Travelocity doesn't know something that NCL is being silent about.

NCL lists April 16 and April 30 seperately, because they have different itineraries than their usual cruises. So NCL is still listing April 30. I wonder why Travelocity isn't. I hope Travelocity doesn't know something that NCL is being silent about.

Yes, NCL has April 16, 23, and 30 separate as well as some dates later in the year.

If you do the volcano, it will most likely be when you leave Kona going to Maui. I don't believe there is enough time when you leave Hilo to go by the volcano and still make it to Kauai the next morning. My opinion only.

Expedia CRUISE ITINERARY spaceit.gifspaceit.gifDayPorts of callArrival timeDeparture time

Honolulu, Hawaii --- 8:00 PM

Kona Coast, Hawaii 8:00 AM 7:00 PM

Kahului, Hawaii 8:00 AM

Kahului, Hawaii --- 6:00 PM

Hilo, Hawaii 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Nawiliwili Bay, Hawaii 10:00 AM

Nawiliwili Bay, Hawaii --- 2:00 PM

Honolulu, Hawaii 7:00 AM

Arrival and departure times may vary slightly by sailing date.spaceit.gif

[ATTACH]31200[/ATTACH]

All other intinerary's that cruise the Volcano list the viewing, this one doesn't for some reason. :confused: . I have the new 2007 - 2008 NCL Freestyle cruising booklet in front of me and none of the intinerarys show any:confused:

volcano viewings.

It seems that the itinerary changes slightly starting with the Jan. 1, 2007 cruise. However, even though none of the itineraries specifically mention the volcano, it seems extremely unlikely that all of them are going to skip the volcano. So I would safely assume that all of them with the standard itinerary will view the volcano. I just wonder whether or not the April 30 cruise will view the volcano.

just got off the ship last sunday on POA.(left port 10/22...or shall I say was supposed to leave port 10/22, really left the 23rd because of the earthquake)....after reading your dealings with Norweigan....let that be the first glimps of the service/information that will be maintained during your cruise ,(not to put a damper on your trip).....I was in the sports bar for most of sighting.........and as I recall.....that was the side where you could see the volcano as we were sailing away....the sports bar was on the 11th floor , rear,...forgot the name of it..but its the only sports bar on the ship. We were by the volcano, I would say for about 20 minutes...if you are to take pictures, you will need a very low speed film....everyone taking pictures had a hard time getting a good shot....we were lucky because we were in the middle of a lightening storm, so when the sky lit up, some were able to get a better pictures.

hope this helps......any other questions let me know

We passed the volcano about 9:15pm. And also beachchik is correct, the best views were from the outside decks.....

since the sports bar is right off of the deck, we were able to go from side to side and then walk right back to our bar stools....it was pefect location (so we thought).

Our itinerary was a bit messed up because of the earthquake and the "IronMan contest" that was in Kona, so we missed Kona all together, which was schedelued for day 2.

The other strange thing about the April 30 cruise is that, depending on where you look, it has 3 possible times for arrival in Kauai on May 5; either 7 AM, 8 AM, or 10 AM. Obviously I'm hoping it's 7 AM, but it's not really a big deal since it's an overnight port. Also, I thought it was arriving an hour late in Kona, at 8 AM, but it seems that all the 2007 POH cruises are arriving at 8 AM in Kona. I wonder if the snorkeling excursions will change their times to accomodate the POH, since I would think that the POH is a major market for them.

Archived