NCL Sun Upsell Opportunity 11/19/06 sailing

Marlissa

We have the opportunity to upsell from JJ to BA/BB for $300 per room (we have two rooms). The price we paid for JJ compared to BA is a difference of $500 per room.

From what I can tell, the rooms are similiar in size. BA/BB would be one or two decks higher and probably more forward than we currently have. Does the BA/BB have any other benefits besides the balcony?

We're not sure the price difference is worth it to us. Is it possible to negotiate with the upsell department for a better price?

We had a BA on the Sun a couple years ago and a JJ a few weeks ago.

Our JJ was on deck 4 in a location that required a lot of walking! It was at the end of a hall way and only accessable from the other end. Our BA (also an upsell) was in a much more convenient location. We enjoyed the balcony as it was a nice place to sit and have coffee & danish in the morning, especially with the great weather we experienced. The BA/BB cabins do not come with any additional ammenities over the JJ.

To us, although we loved the balcony it wasn't that big a deal. You'll probably notice some postings that "if you do a balcony, you'll never be able to go back", well at least in our case we could, but then we cruise on a budget. Actually, I guess almost everyone does, but our budget is probably more limited ;)

There were 4 of us in both cabins, and the balcony did come in handy as people get up in the morning! Now I'm gonna contradict myself-If it's not a problem financially, I'd do it (at least this one time). That's the only way you'll know if it's for you! If you're doing 2 upsells maybe NCL will be more willing to negotiate than normal. BTW-If you do the upsell, are the two cabins near each other, or does that matter to you? Is there a chance you could upsell one cabin and get an interior nearby-and then share the balcony between everyone (if that works for you)? That's what the wife & I would do if we were doing it again & traveling with our kids. But I'm sure it's not always possible.

good luck, you'll hopefully have a good cruise either way. I know I sure would

-Monte

BTW-In my NCL Sun folder in my sig there are photos of the BA cabin. Sorry, I didn't take any picts of the JJ

We have the opportunity to upsell from JJ to BA/BB for $300 per room (we have two rooms). The price we paid for JJ compared to BA is a difference of $500 per room.

From what I can tell, the rooms are similiar in size. BA/BB would be one or two decks higher and probably more forward than we currently have. Does the BA/BB have any other benefits besides the balcony?

We're not sure the price difference is worth it to us. Is it possible to negotiate with the upsell department for a better price?

We would go for it but we love balconies! Having coffee in the morning, wine at night while watching the ocean go by is wonderful. Plus, we're from MN so we want as much fresh, warm air as possible. I say, "TAKE IT" and enjoy. Hurry up though, these offers don't last forever.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I left a message with the lady that sent the offer. I left my name, phone number, etc and said I said that yes we would the balcany rooms BUT we could not pay the $300 per room. She called me back and offered the rooms for $250 each. I again said too much. She then said $200 each. At this point, I asked for the available room numbers and said I'd call her right back.

The available cabins were on deck 9 (we already had deck 8, mid ship booked) and a similiar location (mid ship) to our existing cabins. After discussing with DH, we decided the balcony wasn't worth the $400 extra when we looked at the big picture. If we could have, we would of utilized mbisson's idea of one balcony and one inside. But, we are taking our DD's boyfriend with us (he's 18, she's 17). Because of this, we have a boy's room (DH and DDBF) and a girl's room (Me and DD). I tried Monte's idea with DH and suggested the girls would suffer :D with the balcony and the boys could have the inside. Didn't go over too well. Humm, wonder why?

The other big factor in the decision was that my mother and step father are also on this cruise and they are booked in a mini-suite. We figure that most time spent (besides sleeping) in the cabin will be in their room. For us, typically, the cabin is used for sleeping and storing things. We prefer to be out and about or visiting the port.

Basically, we couldn't see spending $400 for the balconies so we ended up declining the offer. I now know that NCL is willing to negotiate (at least on our sailing).

I'm happy to hear that you did what you felt was best for you and your family. We got the upsell call yesterday to go from an AB to an AA for $380pp and we were all ready to go for it, but then we decided that since it would be my mother and I travelling together that the second bedroom and bathroom in the AB was more important to us than upgrading to the AA and either having to share a bed or one of us (me) sleeping on a rollaway. I'm sure "suffering" in the AA wouldn't have been too bad but I think we made the right decision for our needs.

Oh, and thanks for letting us know that NCL is willing to negotiate on the upsell offers. I'll keep that in mind the next time they call!

Archived