Engine room tours?

travelling heavy

hi Fuzzy Melton,

Yep, if i can get down there i will come back & let you know.

Dont know about you, but personally i would always rather see the working parts of any machine than the control room, & talk to the guys with grease on their hands rather than those in the smart uniforms.

Almost impossible to get down there - but it can be done.

My bro-in-law, a mechanical engineer of sorts, was able to get down for an individual tour after befriending an engineering officer in one of the bars.

Closest I have gotten is the Control Room, but not actually into the engine room.

Aside from the security issues, there is a liability issue, as it is fairly easy to get hurt down there.

Yes, we have taken engine room tours.

Usually there will be a list of ship staff in the "Welcome Aboard" daily newsletter including the Chief Engineer. Write a note requesting a tour(there should be stationery in your stateroom) including your background (list your engineering degree) attention to the Chief Engineer and drop it off at the Pursers Desk.

It's worked for us!

From what I can gather it is tough on any of the cruise lines to get a tour of the engineering spaces and the bridge on the ships since 9/11. This of course makes perfect sense. However, it also appears that "tough" does not mean impossible.:D Others have given the best ideas on how to accomplish a tour...give it a shot...they can only say "no"! (The other route I read about was through the room steward. Apparently, one should not underestimate the 'stroke' of a room steward; many of them can seem to get action when no one else on board can!!)

On our Carnival cruise I asked for a tour of the galley and was told that Carnival had stopped those tours for security purposes and also for health reasons...disappointing, but, made perfect sense to me. :( Princess, it appears continues to have galley tours and cooking seminars presented by the ship's Chef and/or Sous Chefs. I hope that is the case because it is one thing I would really look forward to on our April cruise on the Coral.

Tom:)

My husband is an electronic engineer. One of the things I like about cruising is that they won't let him near the engine room or the bridge. He HAS to relax! However, they usually have a televised tour of the engine room for all the techies on board. Ask about it after the first day, and check the Patter. It isn't well advertised. Since 9/11, he has always been told NO, though he has highest government security clearance.

Archived