Jewelery, be VERY careful

Peta

Returned from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. Bought 2 rings from one of the 'Celebrity recommeded' shops as we thought due to the recommendation we would be safe. Within a couple of weeks the gold on one started to come off. The second ring also has a few bare spots. i am not happy. Have sent emails to the customer service people at Genoa with no response.

I have read a few postings where people are reluctant to have appraisals as they don't want to be disappointed. I am the same, but will have to face the fact that i will need to. Am crossing my fingers that the stones are diamonds as the certificate says.

Peta

If you have a certificate which has a description of what you purchased and you get an appraisal, if they are not the same quality, you have reason to dispute your credit card charge.

I had some pieces appraised for insurance reasons and the gemologist told me that is the only grounds. He said he sees many people that have a "change of heart" and that is no reason to dispute a charge.

So if you are having problems like you described, I think an appraisal is the way to go. There was a thread about seeing an independant gemologist not going to the jewelry store. Can't remember where it is.

Don't jewelry shop in Alaska. Stones don't come from there. They sell a lot of Opals, and there are no opal mines in Alaska!

Just curious, did the opal shop tell you they got their opals from Alaska? The one dealer I was talking with mentioned Australia, not Alaska.

Returned from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. Bought 2 rings from one of the 'Celebrity recommeded' shops as we thought due to the recommendation we would be safe. Within a couple of weeks the gold on one started to come off. The second ring also has a few bare spots. i am not happy. Have sent emails to the customer service people at Genoa with no response.

I have read a few postings where people are reluctant to have appraisals as they don't want to be disappointed. I am the same, but will have to face the fact that i will need to. Am crossing my fingers that the stones are diamonds as the certificate says.

You know, I have been sitting here trying to figure out what to say to this post. I am at a loss for words.

PLEASE, everyone, buy jewelry from a reputable local jeweler in your home town and not at a tourist trap in any cruise port.

I don't know what else to say.

Michael J. Hall, Diplomate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America

About the only authentic local jewelry you can get up here is something made or jade (and even that is often imported).

It's a shame the cruise lines put so much emphasis on shopping for "bargains" in Alaska. The real souvenirs should be your memories and photos of the fantastic scenery you will encounter.

You know, I have been sitting here trying to figure out what to say to this post. I am at a loss for words.

PLEASE, everyone, buy jewelry from a reputable local jeweler in your home town and not at a tourist trap in any cruise port.

I don't know what else to say.

Michael J. Hall, Diplomate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America

Excellent advice.......I do not understand why people buy expensive items that they have no way to truly evaluate until they get home

.......and then they have to try to get the problem resolved with a seller and a sale that hapened........a long time ago..in a land far away.......:)

I purchased a 3 ct emerald cut Tanzanite in Aruba many years ago. I paid $2500. The ring has been appriased by my jeweler at well over that price. The store was NOT on the cruiseline's suggested list. The ring was and still is stunning.

Maybe I was lucky, but that's been the only piece of jewelry I've ever purchsed while vacationing... other than junk jewelry and maybe some Murano jewelry in Venice.

I bought some jewelry at auction at Fess Parker in Santa Barbara (near where I live in So. Cal) and they took it back with a full refund when I complained that it was fake! So you even need to watch your locals too.

Did you fill out and turn in the registration form aboard ship? If so, they will 'fight the battle' for you. They will contact the jeweler and take care of the situation. There is a time limit on this. I believe it is 30 days.

I purchased an Opal (Australian - never represented as Alaskan) while in Ketchikan this year. It was at one of the recommended shops and it was a great deal. However, a few days after I got home the stone came out of the ring. I had registered it on ship. So, I contacted the company that offers the ship guarantee at service@ppigroup.com and they are taking care of everything. The ring is currently being repaired and will be returned to me. I realize sometimes there are problems even if you purchase locally. As long as they stand behind their product I am happy.

I did not contact the jeweler directly. I used the shipboard guarantee. Good luck. I hope you get this worked out.

About the only authentic local jewelry you can get up here is something made or jade (and even that is often imported).

I bought an inexpensive amber pendant from a local store in Juneau. After I bought it, I did wonder if the amber was from Alaska. From what you said, it is not?

It doesn't really matter, just curious. Thanks!

Don't jewelry shop in Alaska. Stones don't come from there. They sell a lot of Opals, and there are no opal mines in Alaska!

I hear what you mean, but it almost sounds like we should only buy in the areas that mine the stones, & I'm not planning any cruises to Australia or S. Africa

-Monte

I bought an inexpensive amber pendant from a local store in Juneau. After I bought it, I did wonder if the amber was from Alaska. From what you said, it is not?

No, it isn't. There are many places it could come from, but Alaska isn't one of them.

I've been amazed at the mad rush to the jewelry stores in every port of call in Alaska. There is sooo much more to see! That said, if you really want a piece of jewelry to remember your trip, look in the smaller arts galleries off the main drag. I bought a pair of ceramic drop earrings made by an artist in Juneau on my first trip, and a pair of mammoth ivory earrings from Barrow (I think) from a nice little shop in Sitka on my last trip. Neither was horribly expensive either, and I feel they are nice authentic souvies of the trip.

Archived