ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

I'm very curious how they are going to pull of the movies under the stars thing. If I read the deck plan right the movie screen and viewing area is where the parties were all held every night on the last cruise in October. The Caribbean Princess is almost the same as the Diamond Princess but the Diamond didn't have a movie screen. The tables and deck chairs were all put away by the time it got dark in preparation for the night's dance and if there was a t-dance then the decks were cleared long before that. I really don't know how/when they are going to pull off the movie thing, and the parties, unless perhaps the movies are all before the parties during dinner hours. Curious curious...

My guess is that many of the movies will also occur during the day. Reading the comments on the Caribbean Princess threads and the reviews of the ship by CC users, the clarity of the picture even during the sunny daylight hours is quite satisfactory. MUTS I guess can also stand for Movies under the Sun.

Christopher

I think the screen is powerful enough to work during the day also. The only problem with that is that the VJ is supposed to be playing video clips on the big screen as well. Who knows? I'll just be glad to see a couple of the films I haven't had the chance to see yet.

Now I remember why I feel like I need a vacation when I return from an RSVP cruise! There is so much to do, and I want to do it all (OK, don't let your minds go there...oh, too late...you're already there!).

Christopher,

My goodness, what one can find out on the internet! :) I would love to duet with you on Lily's Eyes. That is one of my favorite songs that I've had the privilege to perform, and I got the chance a few years later to reprise it with my co-star at my chorale concert. I'm sure that on a ship full of gay men we will be able to find a pianist! :) As a sidenote: My dad died the morning of opening night of Secret Garden. I was at his death bed in Indiana, then went to the funeral home to finalize the arrangements, when to the florist to order flowers, then drove straight to the theatre in Altoona to get into makeup and costume and do the show. As the saying goes...the show must go on!

I believe the movie screen is located aft to the second pool--the pool that's aft of the main midship pool, and just forward of the funnel. On the Diamond Princess this was the pool area with the retractable glass roof. However, on the CB they eliminated this feature. Still, with music playing in the forward pool area, where the dances were held, and movies in the adjacent aft pool area, I don't know how that's going to work out.

Steven

I believe the movie screen is located aft to the second pool--the pool that's aft of the main midship pool, and just forward of the funnel. On the Diamond Princess this was the pool area with the retractable glass roof. However, on the CB they eliminated this feature. Still, with music playing in the forward pool area, where the dances were held, and movies in the adjacent aft pool area, I don't know how that's going to work out.

Steven

ah... actually I can "see" where you are talking about Steven. I think you are right in the pictures I've seen of the CP it looks much more open on that top deck, I didn't realize they took out that glass roof area. That will actually open the whole area up a heck of a lot more. I'll miss being able to be in the covered pool area out of the sun tho.

this will be interesting... I'm so looking forward to seeing what they do on this one. I still miss the back deck disco/party area on the holland america ships compared to the set up on the princess ships, but maybe with it a little more open without that closed roof area it may be a bit better.

ah... actually I can "see" where you are talking about Steven. I think you are right in the pictures I've seen of the CP it looks much more open on that top deck, I didn't realize they took out that glass roof area. That will actually open the whole area up a heck of a lot more. I'll miss being able to be in the covered pool area out of the sun tho.

this will be interesting... I'm so looking forward to seeing what they do on this one. I still miss the back deck disco/party area on the holland america ships compared to the set up on the princess ships, but maybe with it a little more open without that closed roof area it may be a bit better.

Phil. . .off the topic, I see you're from Saratoga. I grew up in Saratoga, just off Quito Road, and went to St. Mary's Catholic school in Los Gatos. Haven't been back in nine years. It's such a nice area. Now live in Orange County.

I remember the old days when RSVP would have fireworks from the back deck on sailing day.

Steven

Matt (or anyone else who can advise):

Since we have never been to St. Thomas, and the fact that we will be going on the catamaran to St. Johns in the morning and back at 12:45, I'm trying to firm up our plans for the afternoon. I would like to see some sights of St. Thomas.

Originally I thought we would take a cab to Havensight, do some shopping, and ride the skyride to Paradise Point. Cab and tram fairs = $26 each. But then I found a couple of 2 to 2 1/2 hour island tours on this site for $25 each that would take us around to see more views, such as Crown Mountain, Mountain Top, Skyline Drive: http://www.**********/stthomas/SandL/islandtours.php

What's your advice or recommendations? Thanks.

Of course the advantage of the magnodrome roofs over one of the pool areas is that if we run into rain (as we did twice on Westerdam) they can move the partie indoors, or close the roof. Let's hope for constant sunshine. I'm not sure where they'd put us...maybe Club Fusion.

Reports are that the MUTS area is well insulated sound wise from the main pool area. Supposedly, people happily watch movies during the day, while the live band plays in the main pool area. But I imagine they will be doing video clips during the day...or schedule the movies around the parties. I never got to see the Queen or the Departed because of my school/exam schedule..so it would be great to see them. (Thanks Dave!)

Phil the small rear pool gets some shade because of Skywalkers hanging over it (on Diamond, Skywalkers is in a different place).

Tom - doesn't the tip depend on the level of service? ;) Within a couple of miles of Pineapple Point, you can walk south over to Las Olas Blvd, which is the quaint fashionable street in FLL, and get to the downtown river front area. Or walk north to Sunrise Blvd, and head east over the bridge to the beach. The Bonnet House is there, which is supposed to be a nice thing to visit (I haven't yet). On the way, before the bridge, is the Galleria Mall, which has a Nieman's, Saks, Macy's, etc. There's also a water taxi stop there.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Steven - any inside word on the Feb 1 schedule? Or the timing of the parties? Thanks!

hi cj, dendren, max, and tim-rick,

with that many movies, it's clear that some will be during the day.

my sister was on this ship and she knows the drill, so i'll ask her and get back to you on how they handle it with music and such going on.

are you guys yeah or nay on tuxes?

we're skipping, even though we both own tuxes. when i clean up, i get pretty enough (for an old guy)......<g>

and cj, if you need help in the cabin with those high notes, i might be able to help.......<g>.........

so is it official where we'll gather for sailing? and the time? i'd like to meet all of you. we have some friends from here going as well, but i always love to make new ones.

lemme know.

david

Max - I wrote a nice response to you, and it got zapped by the problems of this board. Argh. Anyway, in a nutshell, I favor Paradise Point.. the best view of all views (IMHO) because you look out over the Charlotte Amalie harbor, Water Island, all the ships, etc...and you can enjoy a cocktail or snack, and sometimes watch a kitchsy wedding ceremony. I am suggesting this to Ralph (the tram, not the wedding :))

Your link is "bleeped" so I can't check out the tours. You'll get a colorful narrative, island history...the interior tours are relatively away from the crowds, becuase most do shopping/beach..and some great views of Megans Bay and other vistas. In between the stops isn't so interesting (except for the narrative perhaps). Usually this type of tour is done where you sit on benches on the bed of an open air truck, so it can be very hot, if it's hot that day... so if the more quiet scenic drive is your thing, go for it. And you might luck out and get an air conditioned van.

Dave - you go into your profile and want to edit your signature...then you can insert a picture. And I think there is also a setting there to insert a picture next to your user name. I think the link is "UserCP" up at the top left of the page.

ok, guys, here's what i found out about the movies.........

the movie area is by one pool. movies play day and night. some kind of an anti-glare screen makes it very visible even though the sun is out. pretty cool. there is another pool area, bigger, where all the action (at least on the straight cruises) takes place. bands, loud music, dancing pool games etc, but you can still stay in the cinema area pool and hear the movie. they are well separated. that's the story from my sister, who was on the ship 2 months ago.

one of the movies is "sordid lives" and del shores, the writer, director, producer will be on the ship with us. i met him here in fort lauderdale. great guy, and of course a classic movie. (we also saw a production of the play "live", right here, with lesley jordan as brother-boy, which he directed.) what a hoot that was.

that's all for now.

david

hey joseph,

welcome.....us too. we love making new friends. especially on cruises. somehow you become "fast friends" on a cruise. maybe it's because it's only a week and life in so encapsulated. well, we'll look forward to meeting you aboard.

how's that weather in chicago? probably not as nice as the caribbean.....LOL

david

Thanks for the info Dave...should be an interesting juxtaposition... film festival and tea dance side by side :)

Hi Joseph - I lived in Chicago the year after college...back then Side Tracks was just a tiny, tiny place...fond memories of everything but the winter :)

I signed us up for the Rasul couples mud room today... that should be interesting.

Welcome New Posters! I'm glad you will be joining us!

RSVP's really cutting it down to the wire with posting the full schedule on the website. Of course after all the info you all have gathered I don't know how many more surprises I could expect but I'm thirsty for info (I'm also thirsty for a good margarita, but that'll come later.) :D

Can we please leave now? Real life just isn't measuring up to the Caribbean Fantasy!

Thanks, Matt, for your advice. I will stick with my original plan for the afternoon in St. Thomas and take the taxi to shopping and the tram to Paradise Point.

Welcome to new posters David and Joseph! Our group is getting quite large!

Our cruise documents arrived today from our travel agent!! :-)

YEAH!!!

12 luggage tags! How many people did they think were coming! The most I could think we would bring would only be around 8. ;-) haha

And it is now officially February 1st here on the East Coast......... so our cruise is THIS month! :p

Well add two more to the 0815 Champagne Catamaran cruise in St. Thomas/St. John. What a group this will be!

We also opted for the 0830 12 Metre Challenge in St. Martin--anyone else going for another early morning excursion?

And it is after midnight here in the central time zone as well, so yes, MikeC...the cruise is now this month! :)

Mark and Donny

Come on Janet and Maria, the Catamaran will be fun! Just like ziplining!

Archived