Help with our own wheelchair?

catnanny

We usually rent a wheelchair and a scooter for my friend for our cruise. But this time, she bought a lightweight wheelchair and will only rent a scooter on our cruise through the Hawaiian Islands. When we use the airport wheelchairs or the cruiseline wheelchairs, someone from from that airline or cruiseline assists us the whole way through our process of boarding, etc.. Since we will have our own wheelchair, does anyone know if someone can still help us? It will be difficult for me to push the wheelchair, carry her walker, carry the carry-ons, etc.. Thank you and Happy Cruising to All! Catnanny

Hi Catnanny,

I have had airport people help me with my own chair. I had called the airline ahead of time, and let them know that I would need help. I haven't ever asked for help with my own chair at the port, but I'll bet that you could get help. I would have my TA call the cruiseline ahead of time, or call the special services office, and ask..............then find a ship representative at the port, and tell them what you need.

Have a great cruise!

We never had a problem with the airlines helping us with my husband in his own wheelchair, as long as we let them know ahead of time. As far as the cruise goes, once we got there, someone just assisted us from curb all the way to the cabin. The only hitch was, my husband climbed into bed from the chair and when we turned around, the porter had left WITH the chair - he had assumed it was the cruiseline's. Simple mistake, but it was a pain to track it down and get it back, so just make sure you keep your eye on it!

Best,

Mia

We were on the Disney Wonder in June 05 with a wheelchair bound 16y/o. The only (real)trouble we encountered was with the air lines. They couldn't understand why she couldn't just hop on the colf cart. After taking some names and explaining the lack of "understanding" different types of disabilities, they finnaly got the hint. (she can't walk)

Oh yeh. The handi cap rooms (at least on the Wonder) were almost as big as our house. The balcony was large as well. We delt directly with one of the managers (after a small run in with a desk worker) and everthing went smoothly. They even had ocean wheel chairs on there private island.

I'm a big guy so I don't let anyone past me or the wheel chair while boarding any elevator.

Lol you sound like my husband. He was hoping someone would push past me in my wc for the elevator on our cruise but no one did lol. Then again he worked construction in Chicago and developed the "don't **** with me look" lol. He is actually a teddy bear and i have lot more temper than he does lol. He wont even send food back if its not correct..me I get mine corrected as many times as it takes lol.

On our cruise 10/26/06 we had offers of help everywhere. We turned them down since he handled it all very well. I did at times feel like a uhaul lol but didn't mind it at all. I can get up and walk short distances but need my cane or someones arm just for balance issues. They were tickled pink at the metal detectors that i could too and were very gentle when holding my arm thro it. I couldnt have been treated better both onthe cruise and in customs. I didn't fly though but assume airliners very good with disabled passengers too.

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. It's only a week now before we leave for Hawaii. Trying to make sure everything is planned or I'm at least aware of things is important to me when you have just a little more responsibility. However, we always have a great time. I hope all of you have great fun in your travels, too.

Catnanny

Archived