Princess Air Add-on

gbfan06

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions regarding the air add-on for the Thanksgiving sailing of the Carribbean Princess. We will be flying out the Washington, DC area for this trip. I normally book my flights separately (non-stop) and have never encountered a problem. This time the flights I've located to FLL are quite expensive, while the flight I can book as an add-on with the cruise is substantially less. My question involves the experiences others have had when booking their flight in conjunction with their cruise. I realize the cruiselines need to get you to the ship in time for embarkation but are multiple stopovers the norm or do they seek to book non-stop flights (when available)? Also, what are the return flights like? Do they typically book the most direct flights home or do they send you on a mutiple stop adventures? I realize the airlines will be busy (end of the holiday weekend) but I'd like to get home with the fewest hassles possible. I greatly appreciate any input offered. Thanks!

Princess air usually books the cheapest routes and flights they can find. You might end up with a rather unusual itinerary. At this late a date, who knows what you will get. The problem is that you won't know your itinerary until you've committed to booking their air, and if it's not to your liking, you might be out of luck trying to get it changed.

there is a good chance you will visit several airports from several different states both coming and going,and may have to run to catch your connecting flights,if this is princess air dont worry,cause they will get you to the ship at some point during the cruise,hope this helps you:)):p

It didn't take me long to figure out that Princess Air Dept. really likes Delta and possibly Northworst. You can pay Princess extra for air deviation specific routing but I've found it to be extremely difficult to talk directly with the Princess deviation department when your T.A. doesn't look out for you on deviation deals. Just because you find the perfect flight times doesn't mean that Princess has it in inventory. Princess Air can be worderful or can be a nightmare. I say never book Princess Air unless it's noticably cheaper or possibly lined up with to a Princess Hotel package. That said, if you buy Princess Air it's covered by your Princess trip cancellation insurance.

With Princess air in the past we have found out two things. They normally (notice that word normally) would get us to the port in a speedy fashion. Never on a straight through flight, but usually not bad.

It was the return that was always the nitemare. Multiple plane changes on the return and usually took twice as long to get home then when flying to the port city.

Only way to use Princess air is to at least pay the deviation fee so you have a bit more say-so in the flights. When paying the deviation fee, we have also been able to know when our flights would be long before those just booking with Princess and taking pot luck on the flights.

Question is, if you do pay extra for the deviation, is that going to be about the same price you would be paying booking your own flights? If the answer is yes, then get the best flights you can and don't book your airfare with Princess unless it is absolutely necessary.

Finding a flight to/from Florida Thanksgiving week or the holidays is a nightmare -- and very expensive. Most flights are full and those with seats have the pricing jacked up to the stratosphere.

You're probably better off at this late date using Princess air. Even if you pay for a deviation, chances are slim that there would be many seats left anywhere. From DC, they're unlikely to send you all over the country. One of the problems with finding a "great rate" to fly in the day before is that the hotels are very expensive at Thanksgiving too so it's really not much of a bargain.

I've used Princess air several times with flights from Boston to Florida (with flights beyond) and they've always been direct flights at times that I would have chosen. Only one time, and that was a holiday time when I'd booked late for a pre-cruise hotel stay, they had us on direct flights that left Boston at about 6:30PM at night and we didn't arrive at our hotel until after 10PM.

We are flying to San Juan the Friday before Thanksgiving to catch the Regal. Princess has us flying United. Greenville, SC north to Dulles changing there to fly south to San Juan. Go figure.

Also, in the past month they have changed our return from Acapulco three times. So it pays to keep checking your flights.

Paul

Archived