Empress JS vs OS

Blondn6ft

Planning on booking the 11 day cruise on the Empress departing

December 3,2007. My boyfriend and I are both over 6' tall. I am 6' and he is 6'4". I understand that the ship is small ... we are after the itinerary ... dive dive dive opportunities ...

:D

What I would like to know, especially from those that have travelled on her before ... should we book a Junior Suite or spend a tad more on an Owners Suite?

Input would be great since we need to book soon!

We are going on the nov 9th sailing. We have the bow owner's suite, we booked it because of the pictures we saw on webshots, that another cruise critic posted. Go to Webshot.com and look at the Empress of the Seas - April '05 pictures by altajoe

Somthing to remember on this ship

is that none of the JS I have ever sailed

in had a bathtub! Even if you have no

plans on taking a bath if you are over

6' tall you will appreciate the extra room

that a tub in one of the full sized suites

gives you.

As a diver if you are bringing your own

gear you may appreciate the space for

cleaning up your gear and removing the

salt.

Good Luck

Brian

Indeed, the Empress of the Seas is a fine little ship, but she is very different from the Serenade of the Seas, so do the research before you book. The regular Junior Suites on Deck 9 are actually the size of a Category D on other ships, without the amenities. The bathroom, shower, closet, and general storage space is small. The Junior Suites on the aft of the ship are even smaller.

The two owner's suites on the aft are odd staterooms; as the deck plan shows, the balcony is actually two adjoining balconies--very strange. The owner's suites on the front of the ship are more normal, but the balcony will be windy and perhaps unusable while at sea. These are the only forward-facing balconies in the entire fleet.

Between all of your diving adventures, may I suggest you take a turn at a game of shuffleboard while on the Empress of the Seas----she has a beautiful, full-wrap, entirely-teak! promenade deck.

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie (also 6 feet tall)

By all means spend the extra money. We had a JS, the room was small. The shower curtain became my best friend. It was places no one has gone before. Visited 2 OS, they were better than the JS. That's the only way we would ever do the Empress again.

Looks like it will be the owner's suite for us.

Thanks for the warning about the "morning soot" Nyco !

Guess I won't have coffee out their too early ... we will be off

diving early mornings anyhow ... but it will be nice to retire to

the deck after we return.

Brian ... never thought about the tub for cleaning the gear or letting it dry between ports ... great thought! :)

Foxtrot ... sounds like you had the BONUS experience with the shower curtain! :D :eek:

Thank you all for the excellent input!

I promise to check of the shuffleboard too ... sounds beautiful Leslie ! ;)

If the Royal opens up on this cruise and you can afford it--it is worth the money. Less spacious-and less expensive than other RCCL Royal suites--it has a seperate bedroom, a bar w/ 3 barstools, a dining table with 6-8 chairs, book cases, windows, a round couch with big chairs (think Pee-Wee's Playhouse) a huge bath with both a shower and a whirlpool tub-marble floors. The biggest balcony ever. We got this once and it was a real treat!!!

Archived