How do you get upgraded?

if you have booked a particular room (say oceanview), how do you get upgraded? Do you have to ask someone in particular? When do you ask if you are already at the pier? Does it cost less to do it then?

What are you procedures/experience for getting upgraded at the best price? Thanks

if you have booked a particular room (say oceanview), how do you get upgraded? Do you have to ask someone in particular? When do you ask if you are already at the pier? Does it cost less to do it then?

What are you procedures/experience for getting upgraded at the best price? Thanks

If and this is a big if there are any cabins available upon check in then you can upgrade, not sure of the cost though. If this is your intention you should arrive at the pier early (10:30 or so) to have any hope.

If you are talking about free upgrade before you get your documentation or a couple of weeks before the cruise then my best advice is .....to wish upon a star as no one really knows who the upgrade fairy will visit:p

Unless you KNOW that the ship will not be full, don't book a cheaper cabin, hoping to get an cheap upgrade later! Most of the ships sail full now-a-days, so buying an upgrade at the pier is unlikely! Book what you will be happy in--I mean, if you don't want an inside room, then certainly don't book it, hoping for better later! You will not be a happy camper!

I was told by RCL that it is very difficult to get an upgrade because those people who booked guaranted cabins are given all the available upgrades the day before departure. Now if you have an inside cabin on deck 3 and they have an outside cabin on deck 3 you maybe able to get that but most of the time the ships sail at full capacity. If you have an oceanview on deck 2, they may upgrade you to oceanview on deck 3. You can inquire about that at check in. The only other option I was told was to wait until the ship sail and if there are some no show passengers you can request an upgrade if the no show cabins are a step above your cabin. My suggestion is book what you really want and than call your TA and ask them to call RCL to see if they have any available upgrades a few days before you sail. If they don't have any you still have the type of cabin you want and if they do "give thanks"

You can upgrade anytime to any available cabins. Cost would be the regular published rates, so you would have to pay the difference from what you paid already for your cabin to the cost of the cabin you upgraded to.

You can also upgrade at the pier, but only if anything is available. And this is a big IF as ships sail pretty full most of the times with RCCL having an average occupancy of over 100%. Cost would be lower than brochure rates and depending of where you are coming from category wise and where you are upgrading to.

Free upgrades, can happen yes, but rarely and there´s no way to ask for one. It´s just the luck of the draw. Nobody knows when and why it comes. It happened to me once but I have no idea why.

So I repeat the advise of others. Book what you are happy with.

I was told by RCL that it is very difficult to get an upgrade because those people who booked guaranted cabins are given all the available upgrades the day before departure. Now if you have an inside cabin on deck 3 and they have an outside cabin on deck 3 you maybe able to get that but most of the time the ships sail at full capacity. If you have an oceanview on deck 2, they may upgrade you to oceanview on deck 3. You can inquire about that at check in. The only other option I was told was to wait until the ship sail and if there are some no show passengers you can request an upgrade if the no show cabins are a step above your cabin. My suggestion is book what you really want and than call your TA and ask them to call RCL to see if they have any available upgrades a few days before you sail. If they don't have any you still have the type of cabin you want and if they do "give thanks"
It may happen, but I've never heard of anyone with a guarantee getting an upgrade the day before departure.

...because it happened to us. We have a very alert TA who called us because the cabin we were really wanting had opened up. As she moved us into it, she spotted an upgrade offer from RCI and we eventually took the upgrade offer at what turned out to be no extra charge. I've speculated on another thread (about visits from the Upgrade Ferry) as to the fairly rare set of circumstances that I think fell into place. But, a good TA could be your best shot at an upgrade. I agree with other posters--best for us all to book what we're happy with, and then be glad if the Upgrade Ferry visits. Will probably be a once-in-lifetime-thing for us. But--with this TA it could happen again.

Archived