Light Packers - HELP!

redeemed

I am trying to figure out what I need to get for the children for our vacation and want to take as little as possible (I always overpack). We are doing 5 nights in FL and 5 nights cruising to Bahamas, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay in January.

It is our first cruise and I think that is adding to my difficulty in figuring out how much of what I need (not sure of how cool it will be in the evening, what it will be like during the day at sea, etc).

If you are good at packing lightly, please offer suggestions on MUST HAVES for 6yo boy, 3 yo girl, nearly 2yo boy. How many pairs of pants do the boys really need? How many shorts? Will they need jackets? How many tops?

We are likely to buy them sweaters/shirts and other things while away so I want to be sure I have room for them when all is said and done. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

How many of each type of clothing varies greatly on the child and how messy they get. Some cruiselines have self-serve laundryrooms, so depending on which cruiseline you will be on and whether you are willing to wash clothes mid-week, you may be able to pack pretty light. With my very messy 3 year old daughter and no laundry on the ship, I am planning on 2 play outfits and 2evening outfits per day. Good thing she's small so her clothes don't take up much space.

I have just packed for my 13month old for out transatlantic. I took 9 empty hangers and put an outfit a day on each. I also packed a spare sweater, vest and a full change of clothes. I also packed bodysuits too. For a warm water cruise I would suggest the same sort of idea but pack shorts and maybe a couple of pairs of long trousers, I would also add in a sweater or too just to be sure. Light packing is not easy with kids.

I got a copy of the packing list that was featured on here and it has been a life saver! Do feel free to pm me for a copy, it is great! Everything you have ever thought off and everything you haven't.

A packing list would be great!

With regard to onboard laundry, can I pay to have it done? Is it reasonable? I am not sure I am interested in doing laundry while on vacation :cool: but if it meant I only had to take 1/2 as much, I would consider it. I cannot see taking several outfits per day for 11-12 days x 3 children and 2 adults. I would love to get all of the childrens things into carry ons which the older two can manage on their own. :) It is going to be the extras like diapers and such that take up room (and that Princess dress for lunch with Cinderella at Disney!).

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

Archived