upcoming mediterranean cruise

travelgirlie

I am departing from rome on 11/10 and returning on 11/20. We will be visiting naples, sicily, florence, santorini, mykonos and nice. We will stay in rome 1 day prior and two days after the cruise. If anyone can give and tips on travel to Europe this time of year I would appreciate it. Also, any tips on any easy translation on euros? Should I take american money and convert there? I wish I could just use my cc for everything!! Please advise!:(

There is a seperate post for this cruise that contains all sorts of information. You might want to go there and start reading. I don't think we've left out any discussion since the post has been going on for so long.

Go to the boards for ships. Access Millennium and look for the day of your cruise and you'll find it. This should help.

Jean

Are you on the Galaxy sailing? I noticed Jean mentioned the Millie, but we're on the Galaxy with the same itinerary.

Jean's right. We've had a roll call post going for a long time with detailed discussions about each port. There's lots of great stuff there.

Regarding currency exchange: it's been about $1.25 per Euro. I use the site http://www.xe.com/ for reference.

tg,

Bring maybe USD $500 in cash to convert if you are spending a day or two before/after the cruise. You will get a better rate there at a bank (not a quick-serve cash conversion booth/kiosk) than if you change money before you leave the US. However, you should have about 100 euros on you before you land in Rome..

I apologize if this sounds confusing, but have 100 euros worth changed before you leave. Then have about USD $375 in cash to change once you are in Italy. However, try and withdraw about 100 euros at a time from an Italian ATM machine because the exchange rate will beat anything else. Then save your USD until you get home if possible.

Many many places will accept credit cards, and of course, credit cards will give you the best exchange rate possible.

I travel a couple times a year to south of Rome, so this is my usual routine. I've given up on change booths, as I've never had my US ATM card refused from an ATM machine and they all will provide instructions in English (among 6 languages). Luckily my bank back here in the US doesn't change a special "International ATM fee" but some do, so double-check.

Italy isn't a cashless society yet, but they're working on it.

Archived