Is Randi's Happy Horses good for a 6 yr old?

junglejane

I will be going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in March on the Diamond Princess. I've been reading lots of good things about Randi's. I have two daughters, ages 6 and 10. I'm wondering whether the Randi's excursion will be okay for my 6 year old. She's only been on a horse once before, and that was while being led around inside a corral. Is there a minimum age? Would she be expected to control the horse herself?

Thanks for any feedback. --Junglejane

junglejane - I am in the same situation, my son is 6 and we are booked with Randi in February. I corresponded with Randi before I booked and she said (wrote) that they have had lots of kids on the rides and never any problems. My son loves to ride the ponies at Griffith Park but has never been on a real big horse before. If you don't have any news from other CCer's by February, I'll let you know how it went.

I would say yes that Randi's horses would be good for a six year old. But, only you know your child and how she would do. We rode with Randi a couple of weeks ago and my daughter did great as well as another little girl that was eight. Randi's assistants were awesome with the kids and they were always right there with one of the children. The horse owner has the most gentle horses and his grandson who is three is always on the horses. My three year old son was a little sad about not going on the ride and they actually put him on one of the horses and walked him around a bit which really cheered him up. I have to say that my excursion with Randi is one of my most memorable travel experiences for me and my daughter.

I will be going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in March on the Diamond Princess. I've been reading lots of good things about Randi's. I have two daughters, ages 6 and 10. I'm wondering whether the Randi's excursion will be okay for my 6 year old. She's only been on a horse once before, and that was while being led around inside a corral. Is there a minimum age? Would she be expected to control the horse herself?

Thanks for any feedback. --Junglejane

I can not say for Randi's for we went riding in Sept. with Miguels Gentle Horses with King David and they put my 5 yr old daughter on a special horse which followed right on the tail of my horse no matter how she held the reins. She had lots of fun inspite of a little sunburn (next time I'll get her a hat) and she still talks about it with her friends.

I say go for it and enjoy.

Cruzinpam

We booked with Randi Garrison for October 21. This was the Dawn Princess and we were only scheduled to be in port from 1pm-6:30pm. As we were the only ship in that day she was able to accomandate us for an afternoon ride. She met us as arranged and then took us (only six of us, all adults) by local taxi to the wharf and by local boat to the island and another local taxi to her partners home where we met everyone and left our bags. (keep your cameras to take pictures) Two of her partners children help us get on the horses and adjusted the stirrups (I hate those closed end mexican stirrups) :)

We then had the same length ride along the beach, moving at our own pace. Both guides stayed right with us, and one would go ahead with the one that liked to go faster and the other sheparded us walkers. It was quite beautiful with the ocean, walked the horse some in the surf even. We rode back to Victor's where we left the horses and met Randi for a drink and lunch for those who ordered. A piece of advice, The Combo Meal is enough for AT Least 2 and really for 3 or 4!! The horses were all in good shape and looked very well fed! I would not hesitate to book with her again.!

randi@randishappyhorses.com

We've been with Randi twice. I can't recommend her highly enough. This will be the highlight of your 6 year old's cruise.

Our first time with Randi, I let her know via e-mail that my wife swore she would never ride a horse again - period. The rest of my family wanted to go and Randi assured us that my wife would have a gentle, happy, unspookable horse. She did. We did. And I'd love to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

We went in Oct 2005 and took our 6 year old daughter who is afraid of everything and our three year old daughter. We did not plan to have them ride, but before they had a chance to protest, they had the girls on the horses. They LOVED it!!!!! It was the best thing we did on our 10 day cruise. They had a girl on her own horse who lead them around, a little slower than the rest of our group. The whole family there is great!:)

Archived