Buying airfare from cruise lines...

JSaunders

OK, so I have never purchased airfare with my cruise, opting to buy my own, or use frequent flyer miles...

However, when I was looking for a Thanksgiving cruise in June, I saw that RCCL was running a special which included RT airfare for $299 p/p. This was lower than I could find especially flying back on the Sunday after Thanksgiving which is blacked out for frequent flyer miles... My airline e-tickets have arrived, not an optimal routing, but OK.

Here is my question:

I notice that RCCL is discounting baloncy cabins for my cruise, so I contact my TA to see if I can pay the difference to upgrade from my inside cabin. My TA says that airfare is now $519 p/p, so the upgrade would be the diffence between the cabin prices $100 p/p plus the difference in airfare $221 p/p, for a total of $321 p/p.

Has anyone had experience with this? Why should I have to pay to upgrade my airfare when I have my tickets in hand? Is my TA screwed up, or is this something that RCCL is doing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

No your TA is correct. When you upgrade you are technically cancelling and rebooking. The airfare was a special that went with your particular category when you booked. It may not have even been available for every category when you booked. Since they aren't offering that special anymore you would need to pay the difference.

And technically you don't have your tickets in hand since they are e-ticketw. You could still cancel the cruise air at this point (paying a cancellation fee of course).

Yuck! What I would really like to do is keep my airfare and cancel my cabin! Oh, well I guess inside it is. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the upgrade without paying the extra for the airfare, please post!

You can always inquire at check-in at the pier if there are any upgrades available. Often cruise lines well sell an upgrade at time of check-in if they are available. Either ask at the check-in desk on the pier or go straight to the pursers desk on board and ask when you arrive.

I'm also going Thanksgiving week. I wanted to upgrade from an OV to a balcony. Balcony gty was actually $10 less than my OV. I also got air for $299 BOS to SJU. I was told the same thing. (airfare is now $599).

Therefore my upgrade would cost me $300 pp. I also have an inside cabin across the hall for my twins (soon to be 18). I can't go for the balcony gty because I wouldn't be across the hall from my children.

I decided to be happy with my original booking.......after all we will definately be cruising on Thanksgiving.:D

Saving $300 pp x 4 on airfare is better than any upgrade cabin rate that I've seen so far.

OP: Are you sailing on the Serenade or Adventure?

We are on the Serenade. I am actually quite happy with my flights (non-stop)

LET THE COUNT DOWN BEGIN!!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

JACKIE

No we are on Adventure of the Seas. We also have 2 cabins, both inside. One for my boys 14 and 16. I saw that the cabin across the hall (balcony) was available and thought it would be fun to upgrade to the balcony cabin. I guess I should have just booked my own airfare. Unlike you, our routing is less than optimal with a connection in Charlotte turning what would have been a 3.5 hour direct flight into a 7.5 hour ordeal, getting into San Juan at 4pm, hopefully we won't have a problem since the boat does not depart until 10pm.

I'll know better next time!

Have a great cruise!

Archived