Good seafood in Galveston that doesn't break you?

cjdd2006

I ate at Joe's Crab shack right by the cruise dock when I was down for my Oct. cruise.

I know it is a chain but it was good and you can watch any other cruise ships deport if you get there at the right time.

Galveston has 2 Joe's, one on Seawall and the other by the dock.

I thought it was good and plan on going back in Feb the night before my next cruise. I cruise out on monday and will get there on sunday afternoon and eat and watch the crusiers leave.

Seawall has lots of places but I don't know any specifics.

Caseys is pretty good, but sometime the service is lacking. For the absolutly best fried shrimp on the island go to Shrimp n Stuff

3901 ave O. Not a fancy sit down restaurant, but the food is great and very reasonable. Lots of locals eat there.

We went to Benno's on the Beach (Seawall and 12th) after we got off the Ecstasy last Thursday for lunch. The menu had seafood and cajun seafood on the menu. We both ordered the seafood platter for $10.95. The platter had a large piece of fried fish, 3 shrimp, 3 oysters, 3 crab balls, cole slaw and french fries. It was great!

Kathy

Ditto on Shrimp 'N Stuff. It's my absolute favorite!! (Can't wait to go in December!! It is inexpensive and really good. The owner is there most days making sure everyone is happy. You can check out their menu and others on the Galveston.com web site. Go to "what to do" then "cuisine" then check "seafood"

Landry's Restaurants Inc. owns most of the large ones now. Fish Tales, Fisherman's Wharf, Willie Gs, Landry's of course, and they recently sold the Crab Shacks. To really get you in a cruise mood try Fishermans Wharf 22nd and Harborside, they are right between the terminals and the Texas Sea Port Museum with the tall ship Elissa docked right where you are eating. You get fair seafood, and a fantastic view of the Harbor with all the Oil rigs brought in for repair.

Casy's has better food, and is next door to Gaido's as the family complex takes up that block between 38th and 39th and Seawall.

I've enjoyed Gaido's for decades it's not as great as it once was, but it's still some of the best seafood on the Texas Coast

If you have the time, park at the ferry landing and ride over to Bolivar and back, best free entertainment on the island.

http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_bolivar_ferry.html

Landry's Restaurants Inc. owns most of the large ones now. Fish Tales, Fisherman's Wharf, Willie Gs, Landry's of course, and they recently sold the Crab Shacks. To really get you in a cruise mood try Fishermans Wharf 22nd and Harborside, they are right between the terminals and the Texas Sea Port Museum with the tall ship Elissa docked right where you are eating. You get fair seafood, and a fantastic view of the Harbor with all the Oil rigs brought in for repair.

Casy's has better food, and is next door to Gaido's as the family complex takes up that block between 38th and 39th and Seawall.

I've enjoyed Gaido's for decades it's not as great as it once was, but it's still some of the best seafood on the Texas Coast

If you have the time, park at the ferry landing and ride over to Bolivar and back, best free entertainment on the island.

http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_bolivar_ferry.html

Really hated it when Landry's turned the old Hill's on Harborside into Joe's Crab Shack!!

Really hated it when Landry's turned the old Hill's on Harborside into Joe's Crab Shack!!

And that's certainly true in Galveston. Gaido's is now in the fourth generation of ownership a restaurant with a history of excellent service and matching food. Where your waiter in the Pelican Club took an order for a party of ten, never wrote down a thing and it came perfect to each person. Regrettibly, it's not that way any more, but, it's still better then anything the Landry chain turns out.

Like anywhere you've ever been, the Island keeps changing, cruise ships, new hotels, restaurants shops and attractions.

Enjoy your visit to Galveston.

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago, Landry's came into Little Rock and took over a wonderful restaurant here. We tried it twice after Landry's took it over and we regretted it both times. Lucky for us a few years ago, a local chef took it back over and the restaurant is thriving again. I always see people recommending Landry's and I'd rather eat at McDonald's than eat there.

Was that called Hill's Pier 19 ?

Yes it was Pier 19 a very rustic local place with a great view of the Mosquito Fleet (shrimp boats) docked right by the building. They served semi cafeteria style and the start of the line could get a bit gamy from the fish market next door. You could go to their upstairs outdoor deck and feed fries to the Laughing Gulls, kids loved it, but I saw more then one rodent around the place. They finally decided to sell after they got busted by the tax police for only reporting one cash register when they were operating two; just an oversight I'm sure.

It's still one of the best views in Galveston as the fleet is still there. The other great view is Fisherman's Wharf 22nd and Harborside by the Cruise terminals and the Tall Ship Elissa. If you have kids either place is a good choice.

Tillman Fertitta of Galveston owns Landry's Inc.. Although they just sold most of the Joe's Crab Shacks, they still own Rain Forest Cafes, the Kemah Boardwalk, the Golden Nugget in Vegas and numerous other restaurants as well as half the resorts and restaurants in Galveston.

The Galveston Italian families played a major part in the colorful history of the island from prohibition up to 1957 when the Texas Rangers shut it down for wide open gambling and prostitution. It's where Texans went to party.

Archived