Walking to Governor's beach?

shygirl

Has anyone done this and how long does this take? Would like to know if the road is gravel or paved. Could we push a stroller? Are there waves on the beach? How far can you walk out before it starts getting deep? Could we walk from the cruise ship beach along the shoreline?

I would like to hear from someone who has actually walked?

Thanks.

Has anyone done this and how long does this take? Would like to know if the road is gravel or paved. Could we push a stroller? Are there waves on the beach? How far can you walk out before it starts getting deep? Could we walk from the cruise ship beach along the shoreline?

I would like to hear from someone who has actually walked?

Thanks.

We went to Governors beach last week during our 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Noordam.

We walked to the beach from the cruise pier. It's about a 20-30 minute walk. The road is paved, and has a little paved shoulder, then a gravel shoulder. There is little traffic on this road and you can walk on the paved road unless two cars are passing you in different directions at the same time. You can push a stroller with no problem. There is no scenery.

You cannot walk the shoreline from the cruise beach to Gov. Beach as there is industry in between with a fence to the water line.

We took the open air bus back to Margaritaville because it was ready to leave for the pier when we were. I think it was $3 pp.

When you get to Governor's Beach, walk to the far right side. The beach is quiet and the view is like a picture post card. There are no waves and the water is aqua and clear. The water gets deep quickly.

I would definitely recommend this beach.

Hope my info. was helpful. Wish I was going back again.

Thanks-you Inai,

So glad to know we can take our two year old in his stroller. Did you happen to run into any people snorkelling? How far were they from the shoreline? I would like to know because my 8 year would like to see some fishes off the beach and I was not sure if he swims well enough to go very deep.

If you go to the right side and walk along the beach for a while, there is some rocks or coral a few feet from the shore in about 3-4 feet of water. We saw some pretty fish there.

You may want to bring along a childs life vest for snorkelling. I always use my kiddie tube to float on and it works great.

We walked to the beach from the cruise pier. It's about a 20-30 minute walk. The road is paved, and has a little paved shoulder, then a gravel shoulder. There is little traffic on this road and you can walk on the paved road unless two cars are passing you in different directions at the same time. You can push a stroller with no problem. There is no scenery.

You cannot walk the shoreline from the cruise beach to Gov. Beach as there is industry in between with a fence to the water line.

Do you not walk past the Governor's home? I understood you walked past some historical homes, etc.

Wonder why people take the trolley tour if they can get a bus for $3.00????

I wouldn't recommend a tour. There is enough to do at the cruise center or Governor's Beach. I guess the cruise ship is just looking to make money on the shore excursions.

I would also recommend Governor's Beach. We were there last week and it was beautiful! The water is clear and the prettiest colors of blue. We did some snorkeling and saw a number of fish fairly close in, but as mentioned earlier, it does get deep pretty quickly. We also walked to the right of the pier and found lots of huge conch shells. The water at the right of the pier was rougher the day we were here and made it a bit tough for snorkeling, but had no problem at Governor's Beach. It's a wonderful place, enjoy it, I wish I were still there.....:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
where do you catch the open air bus to governor's beach in relation to the cruise ship's dock?

does it run on a schedule?

is it $3 USD pp?

is there anywhere to buy food at the beach?

heading out in 6 days!

Does anyone have any answers to these questions?

You walk through the cruise area, out an exit and there are people waiting with taxi's. They charge by the area of the island that you want to go. (I believe it was $3.00) If you were going to go to Governor's Beach, I would make arrangements with your taxi driver to pick you up at a certain time, that way you know someone will be there for you. There isn't a restaurant there, just a vending machine with soda and water and a changing room with restrooms. When we were there, there were only 13 people on the beach and my family made up 9 of those people! We walked down the beach (to the right as you are looking out at the water) to an area where there are some rocks for some really nice pictures.

Archived