Black Sea Cruise

cruzemaven

Has anyone been on a cruise of the Black Sea ports. We are considering doing this itinerary next summer but haven't heard much on these boards about this cruise. For those of you who have been, did you enjoy the ports? Could you tell us if this is a cruise you would recommend? We have been on all the other summer itineraries and are looking for something we haven't done as yet. Thanks.

Some years ago I took a Princess Cruise from Athens, to Volos (Greece), Varna (Bulgaria), Yalta and Odessa (Ukraine), Istanbul and Kusadasi (Turkey), Santorini, Sorrento, and ended in Rome. I thought it was a wonderful itinerary. I especially enjoyed seeing the Potemkin Steps and the Opera House in Odessa and although I was unable to take the excursion, I heard that the trip to the site of the Yalta Conference and the Swallow's Nest was fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sailboy,

You can expect a wonderful cruise. Have you signed up for the cocktail party on the Yahoo Board?

I have arranged private tours in the Ukraine. If you are interested in joining my sister and myself or would like more information, let me know.

Alice

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I messed the previous post up by hitting the wrong key and submitting prematurely. Forgive, please.

Mary Ann, Mike and I have booked the July 22, 2005 Insignia Black Sea cruise. We were some of the party people on the Star with you downunder earlier this year. It would be nice to see you again. The itinerary on the Insignia's cruise is wunnerful! Holland will also do the Black Sea, but won't stop at Yalta.

Sailboy and Alice 1203, I've monitored CruiseMates, CruiseAddicts, and Cruise Critics, but never Yahoo. Please give a clue as to where on Yahoo one signs up for a party with Insignia.

Thanks,

Charlotte

I am under the impression that some Black Sea countries are not yet members of the European Community. Just for curiosity, do you need visas for those countries, what currencies do they use, are taxis easy to find at those ports, and do the locals speak workable English? Thank you.

Officially, travellers to the Ukraine need a visa - but cruise ship passengers are not considered "travellers," but rather, "day visitors," for whom a visa is not required. According to prior cruisers, there is no passport or visa control station at the Odessa and Sevastapol piers (unlike the tight visitor control access at St. Petersburg), and disembarking passengers were able to proceed straight to the waiting buses and vans.

I couldn't find anything on the internet that spells out the legal distinction between travellers and day-tourists, so you may want to call your local Ukrainian embassy and ask for something in writing to confirm this fact:

http://www.ukremb.com/consular/visas.html

Richard

Hi Charlotte,

My husband Jim and I are signed up for the Black Sea cruise in July of next year also. We heard about it from a friend in California who is a travel agent and is going himself with several other couples. He had been on a travel agent's luncheon on the ship and loved what he heard about the niche Oceania is trying to create and the service they are providing, plus he is a World War II vet and is really looking forward to seeing some of the ports like Yalta that were so significant in the war. I must admit that Jim and I know little about the Black Sea area but are starting to read up on it. We have only sailed on Royal Caribbean so far, so we are going as much for the small ship and new cruise line experience as for the ports. Also, on every cruise we have taken we have made new friends with whom we have continued to stay in contact; this should be no exception. The friend who brought this cruise to our attention we met on a cruise to Alaska ten years ago and have exchanged visits between California and Arizona a number of times since.

We look for opportunities to book private tours whenever we can. I believe someone on this board mentioned some private tours that he/she booked. I would love to hear about those.

Lynn

Archived