Zip line tour

junobeach

St Maarten has the Loterie Farms Treetop Adventure. I personally think it might be a bit too aggressive for 7 and 9 year olds. I loved it, but it is much more "boot camp" as my DH says, than ziplining. There are many traverses over wooden "step" bridges, rope bridges, single cables to walk, etc. as well as several true "zip line" runs. It's far more than just ziplining...

You'll find much more information if you do a specific search under the Ports of Call section.

Just an FYI, my overweight Mom who's 62 insisted on doing this in Jamaica with the rest of us. None of us expected her to be able to do it, much less enjoy it. She had a blast and the guides loved her!

The restrictions on the zip line tour in St. Martin are a height restriction of 48 inches (and max weight of 250). My six year old is that tall but I probably wouldn't take her because she'd want me to carry her up everything. If you want more information on it you can check out the description on RCCL.com:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000S5GP-XMC1705v5DJP9wUZZn:10ktdmqkf?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=SM43&DestinationCode=CARIB

There is no zip line tour in St. Thomas at this time.

Hope this helps!

KateO

I have heard that this is a fun , different kind of course BUT the guides are not there with you. In Jamaica they are there with you, at each tree top. To the poster who has done this: Pls verify how this is done in St Marteen. How many zip lines are there? Was there not enough? too much of the 'boot camp" stuff???

It was I that posted the "boot camp"...I can't remember for sure, but there may be four zip line portions...I'm certain there are not more than that. Much of the course is the suspended bridges, cables, etc...quite a variety of them!! And yes, the previous poster is correct, this is NOT a guided course. They help you don safety gear, are there for the first couple of transits and then you negotiate the balance of the course yourself. It is a long course, IMHO, compared with the ziplining we did in Costa Rica (which, perhaps goes quickly because it is all zips) and some of the transits take a considerable amount of time...pieces of logs tied together to make "steps" that form a swinging bridge:eek: , true rope bridges that you cross by walking on the knots formed by the ropes, single large diameter cables one above the other where you walk on one and are tethered to the upper one, etc.!!! I had a blast, my DH left mid-course!:confused:

Again, these comments are about Loterie Farm in St Maarten...I personally don't think the RCCL description is a real picture of the course!

My son (20 at the time) and I (51, under 5' tall, and in good shape) did the St. Martin course in January, and had a great time. There are 4 Tyroleans (those are the actual zip line traverses) and a variety of other traverses, as described in one of the posts above. There were a couple of long stretches for me, but nothing that wasn't doable. At one of the mid-course transition points, which involved maneuvering around a very large tree trunk, there was a guide available to help if needed (and I did). I think the 9 year old, 12 year old and 13 year old would be able to navigate the course with no problem. I think the youngest kid in our group was about 7 or 8. The whole tour was about 3 hours, including transportation and orientation. Actual time on the course itself was much less, can't exactly remember how long. I'd do it again, by my husband has no interest.

Jodi

We just got back from doing the Loterie Farms Treetop adventure. I am 55 and my wife is 50 and both in reasonable shape. This is far diferent from the zip lines in Jamaica. There are 9 zip lines with about 30 other kinds of traverses.

It was fun, but the guides were not around after the first 5 events. We had some children who were able to finish. But it is a very hard tour. RCI uses the same physical exertion sumbol for Jamaica and St Maartens, but they are very different. I'd rather do the Jamaica courses, but your mileage may vary.

Archived