Accessable Cabin

Treven

Got back from my week-long cruise along the Mexican Riviera. For those interested, I took some pix of the accessable cabin I had. I was on the Serenade of the Seas, the cabin is #3541.

I met a gentleman on the ship who told me that his mother, who had always enjoyed cruising, had a stroke about a year ago and felt she couldn't continue cruising because she was now confined to a wheelchair.

I told him about the layout of my cabin and burned these 4 images to a CD and gave it to him as a gift to his mother.

There were two people on scooters, 4 in wheel chairs, and 5 people who had walkers. The oldest was 83 and kept his oxygen thingy on the seat of his walker.

Wow ty for those photos. The photo of the bathroom is great. I plan on showing this to my mom. Her and I are both disabled, her with severe degenerative arthritis and me with neuropathy of all 4 limbs. My husband is able to help me in showering in a regular room but He of course lol nor I would be able to assist her. I had found out that carnival has shower chairs available since but those grab bars and higher commode would be of enormous help to her and really to me. However if just myself, I wouldnt accept the HC room simply because I can walk with a cane but use a wc for long distance and for cruise since my balance is horrid on dry land much less a moving ship. So I can stand and walk holding onto the wall while hubby folds up wc to get through the door of the regular cabin. This way hopefully someone not as fortunate as me can have the HC room and not someone able bodied being greedy.

Wow ty for those photos. The photo of the bathroom is great. I plan on showing this to my mom. Her and I are both disabled, her with severe degenerative arthritis and me with neuropathy of all 4 limbs. My husband is able to help me in showering in a regular room but He of course lol nor I would be able to assist her. I had found out that carnival has shower chairs available since but those grab bars and higher commode would be of enormous help to her and really to me. However if just myself, I wouldnt accept the HC room simply because I can walk with a cane but use a wc for long distance and for cruise since my balance is horrid on dry land much less a moving ship. So I can stand and walk holding onto the wall while hubby folds up wc to get through the door of the regular cabin. This way hopefully someone not as fortunate as me can have the HC room and not someone able bodied being greedy.

Glad you liked the pix of the bathroom. The grab bars in the shower area came in handy on several occasions.

I don't think it shows in the pix of the toilet/shower area, but in addition to the permanent overhead shower, there's also a hand-held shower on a long hose for those who would need to sit on the fold-down shower seat; it's just behind the shower curtain.

Also, the drain in the shower area (which is about an inch lower than the rest of the floor) handled the water so well, that the floor area of the sink, or the toilet, never got wet.

Those pixs are great. They look exactly like Radiance of the Seas also. Love those bathrooms.

Be careful on Carnival as they have to different types of wheelchair accessible rooms. They all have the wide doors, but the one we were in was much smaller and my wheelchair barely fit. It is important to specify which type you need. They both have the wheel in shower, but I could not get my chair in the bathroom.

Sanspike

I guess my one (petty) complaint was there was no way to adjust the length of time it takes for the cabin door to close. I had to stand out in the hall waiting for the door to close; I wasn't about to walk off with the door open, with a brand new Sony laptop sitting on the vanity with my digital camera next to it.

I certainly realize that it's set for someone being pushed in a chair to get clear of the door before it closes, but would think that it be able to be adjusted; but it isn't according to my cabin steward.

Archived