Newbie Snorkeler in Nassau - Recommendations?

superduperdadof2

Hi there - my kids (2 teenagers) and I have a day in Nassau, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of snorkeling expeditions. Any recommendations for a 1/3 to 1/2 day tour for newbies? Ideally, I'd like to do this in the am, leave plenty of time for shopping (daughters request) and Cable Beach crashing/jet skiing (son's request).

Stuart's Cove looks interesting, particularly the shark stop!

Thanks!

Stuarts Cove is by far the best, the water quality is much better on the SW end of Nassau, as is the health of the reef systems. All the other operators go to one area on the NE side of Nassau, Stuart Cove goes to a dive area that only his comapny uses. Only disadvantge to Stuart Cove is the longer bus ride, 30 min each way. The Shark encouter happens in over 30 feet of water, if your a first timer it will be a little overwhelming, its more of a Scuba attraction. If you let them know when your booking that this is your first time,im sure they will put you on a boat that will go to a shallower area, better suited for Novice snorkellers.

If you go with Stuart you wont be dissapointed.

Thank you skimmer - I checked the schedule for Stuarts Cove, the timing may be tight - the ship itinerary says we will dock @ 8am and the AM pickup is @ 8:15. I assume they won't wait!

I guess plan B would be to do the afternoon tour, but I think we'd prefer an AM tour. Given the time, are ther other excusrios you might suggest?

I did notice a tour from the cruise line to Rainbow Reef, are you familiar with that?

Thanks very much for the info!

Thank you skimmer - I checked the schedule for Stuarts Cove, the timing may be tight - the ship itinerary says we will dock @ 8am and the AM pickup is @ 8:15. I assume they won't wait!

I guess plan B would be to do the afternoon tour, but I think we'd prefer an AM tour. Given the time, are ther other excusrios you might suggest?

I did notice a tour from the cruise line to Rainbow Reef, are you familiar with that?

Thanks very much for the info!

Rainbow Reef tour takes you to the Sea Gardens off Anthol Island and sometimes the reef off Rose Island depending on the weather. It's a good novice tour. Fun Staff. Just let them know you're a newbie, and they'll give you extra guidance. You'll have to make an effort to ask for assistance if needed. They will give instructions as a group, but if you need more info.. just ask.

Have fun!

Thanks to all for your advice - I think we will do the Rainbow Reef in the AM, since none of us have EVER snorkeled (where in the world did "they" come up with that name??), and that will give us time in the PM to beach it, and my son can jet-ski!

Speaking of the PM, are there specific beaches any might suggest? I have read that the BCH is recommended, small pool, nice quiet beach, reasonably priced day pass...

Is that on Cable Beach?

We like to walk to Paradise Island (though you can taxi if you prefer). They have all the toys on the beach that the teenagers like, parasailing, jet ski, etc.

(It's not a quiet little beach, but it's fun)

Archived