Just did the Stingray tour, hats off to Captain Marvin

Cruiser_Rich

Just attended the Captain Marvin snorkeling and stingray tour and what a wonderful experience we had. We were lucky enough to only have 12 passengers on board so we received very personal attention:D , thank you Captain Marvin. Snorkeling was fantastic, but the stingray experience was just plain phenomenal. For those who have done the rays you know what I’m talking about, for others who have not it can’t be explained it MUST be experienced. If your going to Cayman make feeding the rays your number one prioriety and save everything else for secondary.

I’d love to hear comments from anyone else who has done tour.

Not a comment because I haven't done the tour yet, but will in 2 weeks. Do they have a place to change into swim suites on the Capt. Marvin tour? We have heard nothing but wonderful things about this tour- so glad you enjoyed yours.

• 4 weeks later...
Not a comment because I haven't done the tour yet, but will in 2 weeks. Do they have a place to change into swim suites on the Capt. Marvin tour? We have heard nothing but wonderful things about this tour- so glad you enjoyed yours.

No, they don't have changing facilities, unless you want to squeeze into the head on the boat.

We did the Stingray/Snorkel tour with Capt. Marvin in Aug. '04. We had a great time as well. We had about 12 on our trip and none of us were experienced snorkelers, but Capt. Marvin's crew were very patient with us all and everyone had a good experience. We saw so many fish when they threw out the food. The stingrays were amazing. We were very impressed with the service from Capt. Marvin. We still pull out the DVD of the tour and enjoy watching it. We love that Caribbean background music. Great trip.

Phil

As best as we can remember it was about 45 minutes. One of the crew members "caught" a ray and held it for all of us to touch it, and even "kiss" it. We were told to shuffle our feet to be sure we didn't step on any. They were swimming around us, but there was never a real large number in our area. The cruise ship tour boats were loaded with passengers and there is no way they had the involvement with the rays that we had.

Phil

We also did the snorkeling & rays last week. Great experience. Captain Marvins group is great. The groups are much smaller than everyone else we saw. We had individual attention & plenty of time with the rays. The tour was not rushed at all. A couple of guys caught stingrays for us to kiss & touch. The stingrays were absolutely great. They were very friendly & gentle as a kitten. I would love to do it again.

We also did the snorkeling & rays last week. Great experience. Captain Marvins group is great. The groups are much smaller than everyone else we saw. We had individual attention & plenty of time with the rays. The tour was not rushed at all. A couple of guys caught stingrays for us to kiss & touch. The stingrays were absolutely great. They were very friendly & gentle as a kitten. I would love to do it again.

We really appreciate the posts...we are booked with Capt Marvin in Jan 07 and can't wait!

I too was wondering about changing after because we have the land tour booked right afterwards and didn't want to be all "wet" for that. Do you dry quickly on the ride back? In spite of the "head" being small, I guess we could change there if necessary.

THANKS!

Which excursion did you do? There is a "short excursion" that is 2.5 hours, a half day which is only 30 minutes longer and a full day.

I'm curious how different the first two can be with only 30 minutes difference.

We are on Conquest and will be in port from 7-4.

We took Captain Marvin's tour a couple of years ago...actually, it was in 2002. Geesh, time flies. It was a great trip until the end. On the way back from Stringray city, the boat's engine seized. The boat was dead in the water, surrounded by thick black oil, and smoking like a freight train. The oil and smoke was quite a contrast to the crystal clear water and beautiful weather. When they popped open the engine cover, the smoke billowed out which caught everyones attention for miles around.

This was our first cruise and we didn't have much time to get back to the port. Luckily, another Captain Marvin boat was in the area. It came over and rescued us. They tied a rope to our boat and towed us in....very slowly. We managed to make it on the second to the last tender. Captain Marvin handled everything professionally. They got us back to port as fast as they could. It was an unfortunate incident but made for a great memory. We learned never to cut it so close again.

We did the short tour in 2001 and LOVED it! It was by far one of my most memorable things from my three cruises. Great group, great price and my suggestion would be to do the first tour. It was very quiet when we went and the rays were very hungry and very engaging. When we were heading out the ship excursions were being herded in and it was pretty chaotic.

Have a great time :)

Archived