Are Skinny Jeans Dying Out Already?

DebbieCruiser

Just my opinion, of course, but I really don't think skinny jeans stand a chance. The thing about flare leg/hipster jeans is that they are flattering to most figures because they "balance out" the hips/butt. I think a tapering, tight leg emphasizes big thighs/bums. With 70% of us poor Americans struggling with our weight, I just don't think an unflattering cut of jeans will work. I personally feel my best when I have on my hipster (not too low, after all, I'm not Brittany Spears) flare leg jeans that have the stretch in them! They are somewhat tight, but still comfy!:p

BUT the "trendy" boutique in town assures us that boot cut is here to stay!! WOO HOO! Once I found how flattering they are (and those that are also mid-rise--not about to show too much, not looking like "mom" jeans), I was hooked!!!!

C'mon...only half of the teen population is thin enough to pull off skinny jeans, and maybe 10% of the adult population! Don't want to look like a human corn dog on a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now old enough to look at every fad w/ a discerning eye, and at my age, flattery is EVERYTHING!

What is impressive, is that it doesn't look like all of the young girls (even those that COULD pull it off!) are buying into the skinny jean look. Even they realize the flattery of a well-fitting boot cut!

Avoid fads...stick w/ trends. And FIT is EVERYTHING!

Kris

My MIL taught me this- "if you wear a style once around, you will be too old to wear it when it comes back." We'd go shopping and I'd see a cute tunic when they were in, and she'd say, "Nope- too 70s. I've already done it. You can get it, though."

Well, this skinny jean thing, and the whole 80s revival, reminds me of being in middle school all over again. I wore leggings, and skinny jeans, and long sweaters. Now I see what she meant! I only see teenagers in the leggings/skinny jeans!

I decided that if I refuse to buy skinny jeans, other people are probably doing the same, and they will go away and die. They are NOT flattering! I am hooked on boot cut forever!

(Oh, and mom jeans are the WORST. Ugh- I went to a craft show this weekend and it was like the capital of mom jeans.)

The skinny jeans look just like leggings!:eek: Unless you are tall and not over weight you cannot pull it off! However I have seen all body types in them! Myself, I am 5'7 and only weigh 135 (I really watch what I eat) I still do not look good in them! They show every line, bulge and etc! :p

I am a bit of a fashion addict and being a fluffier woman I thought there's no way I could ever pull it off. HOWEVER, one trip to Old Navy later (like I'm going to spend real money on a fad) and I had found the flyest pair of jeans.

Honey, you pull those suckers on with some spanx, and some peep toe platforms, a trendy billowy top and you are good to go!

MWA!

Although I must add, these aren't the spray on variety of skinny jeans, they're in between very tapered leg type.

I think it all depends on your age bracket.

While I'd not wear them, my teenage daughter and her friends, that's the only type of jeans they'll wear. And they look great in them.

I don't know how long the trend will remain, it's always changing. But, since she's been wearing them for a year now, it could be soon.

Skinny Jeans are not dying, they'll be around for awhile. For some, that's good news and for others it's bad news.

If the OP went to a club and saw only one girl wearing them, perhaps that's the best news of all...... that women are making CHOICES!

That is, women are waking up and wearing what looks best. I like the skinny jeans on the right figure, but personally, I'm too hippy to wear them, so I don't.

My new neighbor is the head of production for a major jeans company and I'm going to ask her if they'll still be around for Fall '07. Market indications say "yes" so far. But I'll ask her what % of her production will be in skinny jeans vs. this year.

This week, I'm going to see a Spring/Summer '07 Fashion Forecast which will highlight the trends from the big designers from Milan, Paris, London and NY. When I have the time, I'll write up a trend report if you'd all like to see it.

Let's hope they're dying out. I am fighting this 80s revival tooth and nail. Leggings? Blech. :eek:

I hate those stupid leggings that end right above the ankle and are worn under a dress or skirt. That looks so, so tacky. And if your skirt is so short that you need to wear leggings under it to preserve any little bit of modesty you still have, well, baby, it ain't cutting it. You still look like a hootchy mama. But that's just my opinion.

As for skinny jeans, sure hope they are on the way out. The ones who thin enough to wear them look like they suffer from toothpick legs.

BTW, what the heck are Mom Jeans?

*snip*

Well, this skinny jean thing, and the whole 80s revival, reminds me of being in middle school all over again. I wore leggings, and skinny jeans, and long sweaters. Now I see what she meant! I only see teenagers in the leggings/skinny jeans!

*snip*

That's how I'm feeling too! I'm just not 13 anymore :rolleyes:

I hate those stupid leggings that end right above the ankle and are worn under a dress or skirt. That looks so' date=' so tacky. And if your skirt is so short that you need to wear leggings under it to preserve any little bit of modesty you still have, well, baby, it ain't cutting it. You still look like a hootchy mama. [/color']But that's just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more!

I work with lots of young girls as a youth pastor/counsellor and I can't tell you how stoked we are with the leggings craze. Instead of the girls wearing above the knee skirts and bare legs they are wearing leggings with them. Is really great look to keep with the fashion but have some modesty. Is so comfortable (I wear them too).

Instead of the girls wearing above the knee skirts and bare legs they are wearing leggings with them. Is really great look to keep with the fashion but have some modesty.

I don't understand what is going on.

Are you saying mini skirts shouldn't be worn with legging. Leggings shouldn't be worn with mini skirts. Bare legs with mini skirts with leggings are bad.

I hate those stupid leggings that end right above the ankle and are worn under a dress or skirt. That looks so' date=' so tacky. And if your skirt is so short that you need to wear leggings under it to preserve any little bit of modesty you still have, well, baby, it ain't cutting it. You still look like a hootchy mama. [/color']But that's just my opinion.

As for skinny jeans, sure hope they are on the way out. The ones who thin enough to wear them look like they suffer from toothpick legs.

BTW, what the heck are Mom Jeans?

As with any fashion trend, there are those who know how to wear it right and then there are those with no taste and/or not the right figure for the look. As far as the leggings under mini-skirts, I personally like the look when it's done right. And unlike many fashion trends, I think that this one is not age restrictive. If a woman has good legs and wears the right shoes and skirt, she can pull off the look even if she's 60.

But I find it odd that you feel the look is "Hootchy Mama" and lacks modesty. You think miniskirts on bare legs are less so?

I'm headed back to Paris the first week of Dec and I'll be curious to see if it's a popular look there.

Mom Jeans are the matronly jeans worn by women who generally have no regard for style. They have high waists, long zippers or elasticized waistbands and have plenty of room in the rear. Of all jeans, they never fall into the catagory of sexy or stylish and are popular with the suburban soccer-mom set and cookie-baker types. This past weekend an author friend of mine was at a teachers convention in Austin, Tx.selling her book and I spoke to her when she got back yesterday. I asked her what the "Fashion Forecast" was for the visiting school teachers as well as local population and she said to me, "Two Words: Mom Jeans". That about sums it all up.

The Sat Niight Live skit video that Derf has provided a link to says it all. Complete w/ mathing patchwork vest! :)

My MIL taught me this- "if you wear a style once around, you will be too old to wear it when it comes back." We'd go shopping and I'd see a cute tunic when they were in, and she'd say, "Nope- too 70s. I've already done it. You can get it, though."

I decided that if I refuse to buy skinny jeans, other people are probably doing the same, and they will go away and die. They are NOT flattering! I am hooked on boot cut forever!

(Oh, and mom jeans are the WORST. Ugh- I went to a craft show this weekend and it was like the capital of mom jeans.)

I said the same thing about the boot-cut, flair thing..."I wore "bell bottoms" in the 70's and I'm not going back"...Now, I love my boot-cut jeans! I went to see Oprah, and Trinny and Suzanna were on the show...After that experience, I'll never wear straight leg "mom jeans" again!!

I love this board by the way...my first post here!

ChattieKathy

This week, I'm going to see a Spring/Summer '07 Fashion Forecast which will highlight the trends from the big designers from Milan, Paris, London and NY. When I have the time, I'll write up a trend report if you'd all like to see it.

Jane, do tell all! I'll be looking forward to your report.

Sue - Wearer of boot cut jeans. (I wore skinny ones in the 80's when I was fit, thin and 2'' taller - yes, I am shrinking:eek: ).

Many of you have responded by saying you wear boot cut jeans. That's interesting because all my jeans said Flare on the label, except for the one pair of black Skinny jeans I recently received. Is the only difference between boot cut and flare jeans the width of the flare? I'm looking forward to what Jane learns about skinny jeans from her new neighbor in the jeans business.

Well, this skinny jean thing, and the whole 80s revival, reminds me of being in middle school all over again. I wore leggings, and skinny jeans, and long sweaters.

Used to think that way till I found myself in hipsters and loving the look. Surely not for all body types, but low-cut jeans never looked better on me, and I wore hip-huggers in high school - I am 50. ;)

Skinny jeans are okay...can look very cute, but I do prefer the flattering look of boot-cut. That said, I have pair of super-slim (skinny) black pants of the Hepburn style, and I get many MANY compliments when I wear them. I've had them for 3 years...so some of these 'styles' that everyone thinks 'comes and goes' really have never been out of style...classic looks are always in fashion.

Thanks, derf5585 ,for the video of Mom Jeans. But I live in the South and that is the uniform of many of our ladies.. Those and the vests at the holidays would make a true fashionista go for a razor blade to slash writsts. My favorite sightiing of a gawdawful Chirstmas vest was the acrylic material vest that had Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer on the back and somehow it was wired up to a battery that made the nose blink. My city is supposedly 10 years behind when it comes to fashion:)

Leggings and short skirts. I just think they are ugly together. It reminds me when I was in school long before girls were allowed to wear pants. We always had to wear skirts. If the weather got below freezing then we were allowed to wear a pair of pants underneath the skirt but once we got to school and inside off came the pants.

My latest sighting of a really short skirt and leggings came the other day. The young woman in question was at least 80 pounds overweight and to say that baby had back wouuld be a major understatement. In the South we have a saying when describing someone with a large bottom, we say that person is jug butted. Well this girl could have easily placed a gallon jug on each haunch and not spilled a drop.:eek: Not only was the skirt way too short and tight but it kept creeping up to her nether regions so I guess I should have been happy she had the tights on. Why the sight of her cellulited thighs put me right off that pickled pigs feet sandwich I was thinking about having for lunch.

Archived