snuba or helmet dive??????

pazandak63

I'd pick snuba over a helmut "dive". You have much more freedom of movement with snuba and you'll see more because you don't touch the bottom. A helmut "dive" isn't really a dive, it is more like a walk underwater. Because you are walking on the bottom, it will be sand, not coral, so there will be less to see, IMO.

We just returned from the 5 day cruise on the Fantasy from NOLA and we did the helmet dive in Cozumel. We've never done the snuba so we can't compare but we did enjoy the helmet dive. What you see is limited and the dive lasted approx. 25 min. They had everyone hold hands and walk in a line away from the ladder where we entered the water. About halfway through the dive they had everyone kneel in a line and the guides found different creatures (ie: starfish, crabs, stingrays, etc.) and brought them back to us to hold as they photographed and took video (which they sold for $55. We purchased it and we very pleased with it).

After the helmet dive they provided snorkeling equipment and another guide took you snorkeling if you wanted to. That lasted another half hour or so and we saw many different varieties of fish.

During the helmet dive I experienced a problem where my helmet started filling with water and I signaled to the guides and they responded immediately and corrected the problem.

I can't compare with the snuba but we were pleased with the dive and would do it again.

Hey....we are going to Cozumel in January and wondering if anyone can help us decide to helmet dive or snuba? Any reviews to help us make this decision?

Thanks...

karyn

Can't comment on Snuba in Cozumel, but did do it for the 1st time in St. Thomas. It was the highlight of my cruise. It took about 5 minutes to learn to calm my breathing but after that, it was wonderful!!! I would highly recommend Snuba :-)

Archived