Parking in Fort Lauderdale- Security issues?

cassandra44

I posted this on another thread but realize that it's a general question. Friends are driving down to Fort Lauderdale to take a cruise and are worried about whether the port parking lots are secure. They have Canadian plates and are afraid of being targets of vandalism. Can anyone advise about this...and what measures might be taken to minimize risks?

Parking at Port Everglades or Port of Miami is very secure. You cannot even get past the security entrances unless you have business at the port. Your personal information as well as vehicle information is recorded upon entry.

At Port Everglades the Broward County Sheriffs office and private security firms in marked an unmarked vehicles patrol the grounds including the parking garage 24 hours a day.

Your friends should not be concerned about parking at the port. As far as the Canadian plates, no need to worry, it's a common site in Ft Lauderdale in the winter as many Canadians have winter homes in the area. ;)

I would recommend Park 'n Fly. The fee is only $9 per day, the lot is secure and the transfers quick and convenient. It is right off 595 (take Port Everglades exit and go right at the light - it's on the left). I use them all the time when sailing from FLL. Your friends can check it out online and even make a reservation: http://www.pnf.com/ftlauderdale/porteverglades.htm

Cassandra, I've parked at Port Everglades with Ontario plate several times, no problems. The thing I like best about parking there is they have a covered parking structure. Your car doesn't get baked. Also, there's a lot to be said for getting off the cruise ship and walking to your car.

I would recommend Park 'n Fly. The fee is only $9 per day, the lot is secure and the transfers quick and convenient.

Not always a good idea....many cruisers on these threads have complained about having to wait over an hour after the cruise to catch the shuttle to the Park and Fly lot. On busy port days the shuttles are just overwhelmed with pax. IMHO it's worth the extra money for the covered secure parking, footsteps from the terminals, easy in and out. ;)

Your car doesn't get baked. Also, there's a lot to be said for getting off the cruise ship and walking to your car.

Excellent point

Archived