Disney on a dime?

Jayhawk

Hi everyone.....my husband and I are experienced cruisers but never been on DCL. My kids are 4 and 2, and VERY into the disney princesses and even we've taken two cruises since they've been born (princess and NCL) but now we'd like to go to WDW/DCL when the youngest turns 3 this spring. Like to do the 4 day cruise and 3-4 days at WDW.

Are there any hints on getting the best deal? Normally we do internet research/get agents to bid against each other, but in the limited research I've done, this seems to be somewhat of a monopoly. I've read a few threads and it seems booking separate is key to saving $. We need to do this as economically as possible; small/inside rooms are no problem. Looking also for best hotels (on property is best??) for the price and transportation tips.

Any advice? Or can you point me to any former threads that would be good that address it?

Thank you all so much in advance!!!! :) Rose

We like to stay on Disney property. The theming is fun and we don't have to rent a car when we're on property because there are buses etc. to the Disney parks and downtown Disney. It also seems very safe. We generally stay in a value resort (All-Star Movies/Sports/Music or Pop Century) because we don't spend much time in the rooms. But they are pretty basic and, other than theming, are pretty much the same. You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about the All-Star Movies (ASMo)at this page: http://disneyworldlinks.com/Stephens-Resources/ The theming at Pop Century or All-Star Movies will probably really appeal to your girls. The general information on that site applies to all of the values.

You can see pictures of the resorts at http://disneyworldlinks.com/Resort-Park-Presentations/ - just be sure to click on the area the line points to, rather than the words themselves.

www.mousesavers.com has great discounts.

www.ticketmania.com, www.undercovertourist.com and www.mapleleaftickets.com all have legitimate discounts on tickets - if you don't go with a package.

There are AAA discounts on the rooms at times.

There is a free shuttle from the Orlando International Airport to the Disney hotels called Disney's Magical Express - it is wonderful. www.buildabettermousetrip.com/dme.html

Since your girls like Disney princesses, you'll love this page that gives the locations of all of the princesses at the Disney Theme Parks: www.buildabettermousetrip.com/disneyprincesses.html

Since you are going in March, can you go at the beginning of the month? It gets very busy from Spring Break - Easter. If you need to go during Spring Break, please get a good touring plan. It makes a big difference in the time you wait in line. We used www.buildabettermousetrip.com on our last trip and they were very good - they do custom touring plans and offered very personal, human service. www.tourguidemike.com costs a little less and is also very good but you use the information on the site to make your own touring plans. It can be a little overwelming at first. Don't go with the Birnbaum guide if you're going during Spring Break - the information is just too general for the busy season.

You need to really compare the sum total of everything that Disney is offering. Sometimes the Disney package deals are great, sometimes they are at a premium. I would offer three suggestions:

1) - based on the age and description of your children I would think that everything that they will want to do would be at the Magic Kingdom. Going with this in mind you might not need the value of the "Park Hopper" pass that is included with the DCL packages. I would think that going to the park one day, then just the pool area for the second day, and then back to the park for third day might really be economical both in money and in well rested kids. Also, try to pick a Disney property that offers good transportation to the Magic Kingdom and a great pool.

2) - pay the extra fare and use DCL to transfer you from WDW to the ship. It is really part of the total experience and was one of my kids favorite memories. Disney really knows how to take care of you and you will have a blast.

3) - a very economical way to save money is to enjoy the ship when the ship is in port. Don't sign up for an expensive excursion. Just sit tight and let everyone else leave the ship and you will have the place to your self. You and the kids can relax, the ship is all yours to enjoy, the food and entertainment are all paid for, and there is no stress.

Have fun!

Ocean Liner -- I'm curious about the transfer via DCL and what made this such a great experience for your kids. I know my DH is going to want to save money by using cheaper transportation and I want to be prepared with reasons why we should take the DCL transfer. We're going with two small children and I want to make this a trip they'll remember. Thanks for your reply!

First lets start with us, the parents. The first time we were traveling on DCL the kids were 4 and 6, and the logistics of traveling with little kids is slightly daunting. For us, we just needed to pack the bags at the Disney property, go down to breakfast, and get on the bus. No fuss, no issues, and all the attention directed right to the kids.

For the kids, it was really cool. They were not sure about the issue of leaving the luggage in the room, but they were willing to give it a try. When we walked out to this huge motorcoach in all its art deco glory, the kids were really amazed. This was not going to be just an ordinary ride in an Econovan. At that point the cruise really started for them, and remember that this motorcoach is a whole lot bigger to a 4 year old then to you and me.

We boarded the bus and the driver was all Disney magic. Talking with all the kids and getting them reved up. The bus started to move and cartoons kicked on the televisions and all the kids lost their little minds having so much fun. At a certain point during the transfer a DVD is played which is all about the ship. All the kids were very attentive and you could feel the anticpation building.....then, right at the end, just as they are telling you how cool the ship really is,....the DVD ends and you are coming over the top of the causeway and there is your first sight of the ship. To a little kid, seeing it on TV and the all of sudden being there is really awe inspiring. (Some of the adults even got teary eyed.)

Disney really has attempted to make a simple transfer to the ship into something a bit more, shall we say, magic.

As a final note, the thing that really amazed the kids was that we left our baggage in the hotel room, and it reappeared in our suite. They talked about that for days.

I really like this website for cruise prices http://www.allseastravel.com/

Not sure if it was mentioned, but with DCL the sooner you book, the better because prices go up as it gets closer the the sailing date.

As was mentioned, you are more than likely better off booking your stuff separately rather than the Disney package. When buying your tickets for WDW, look closely at the pricing. The longer you stay at WDW, the cheaper the park admission is. For that reason, I tell people if they plan on returning, buy the non-expiring park passes. They are a chunk more than the 4 or so days that you will buy, but in the long run you will save money (and have an excuse to return!) That MouseSavers.com website is the best site for pricing.

Let me know if you want a site similar to this that is all Disney. A wealth of information, but VERY addictive. Good luck!

We are avid cruises too. 22 cruises with RCI but no kids. I would stay at one of the value we like Pop. I would check the rates by doing itn on your own and with cruise line and seee what you get. You get the Pop for about $85 with a AAA and do the dinning plan. and check with AAA for the tickets. The water at CC can be cold it was in Oct so I would imagine that in Jan it will be. We cruise the 3/4 in Feb and then do a 7 day in Oct.

Lexi

Archived