Would you take this cruise??

bnsilly

I love the Eastern Caribbean, but due to convenience and the dates we can travel, the only cruise avail is a 4 night Western on Splendour of the Seas. The only port is Cozumel, and then 2 sea days..This would be my husbands first cruise, and my second. Would you go on this one or wait for maybe a better time when we could book more ports, etc? Would appreciate any input from anyone that has been on this cruise, ship, etc..Thanks!

I love the Eastern Caribbean, but due to convenience and the dates we can travel, the only cruise avail is a 4 night Western on Splendour of the Seas. The only port is Cozumel, and then 2 sea days..This would be my husbands first cruise, and my second. Would you go on this one or wait for maybe a better time when we could book more ports, etc? Would appreciate any input from anyone that has been on this cruise, ship, etc..Thanks!

Personally, I am more of a port person. I love a day at sea for longer cruises, but for a short one, I'd rather be in the port doing something otherwise I should have used the money from the cruise to buy my own boat and just drive around the water ;)

All depends on what you're looking for when you cruise

Considering its your husbands first cruise, i would certinly wait. Remember you dont get a 2nd chance at a first impression.

Their are some people who dont like cruising, So with that in mind I would wait and get a 7 day cruise going to some other place then cozumel.

For a first timer, the eastern side would be better i would think, Lets face Mexico is just that Mexico.

I guess i have bad feeling towards Mexico ever since my wife was charged 25 cent PER SQUARE of toilet paper. Yes they took all the paper out of the tourist area spots and charged you 25 cent per square of toilet paper.

I for one have had enough of That country, Do yourself a favor and take a nice 7 day cruise to the eastern Carrib. Its worth the wait.

Mark from PA

See I am a ship person, I dont care about ports. I think the ship is what makes the impression, it is the first thing you see.

It is going to depend, is your hubby the kind that likes to lay around and relax or must he be doing stuff all the time? I love sea days because I find them a great time to relax and just enjoy the ship.

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports. I love the shopping and just walking around. I would do it in a heart beat but then again, it is going to depend on what your hubby likes.

bnsilly.....my wife and i did a 4 night cruise on the granduer to cozumel alittle over a year ago. at that time it was our 8th cruise.....we loved it....cozumel was ok, but the 2 sea days were the perfect days just to relax and enjoy the ocean...i say GO FOR IT!!!!!

Depends on the type person he is...like to relax on the ship or out doing things? For a short trip and I'm sure a great price , this sounds like a nice getaway for the 2 of you. At the same time, he would find out if he likes being on a ship and not being on a 7 night excursion gives him that opportunity. I agree that Cozumel isn't the most exotic location, but I am certain you guys could find some fun things to do anyway and he will have the more picturesque locations to look forward to, right?? Have fun whatever you decide!

We wouldn't go on another Western Caribbean cruise if somebody else paid for it. We've been on three and there is just no appeal there for us.

On the other hand, the Eastern Caribbean has a magic about it that remains appealing no matter how many times we've been to those ports.

Whatever floats your boat.

Do it!!! Four days at sea is better than no days at sea:D !

We cruised on Splendour last month from Venice (Greek Isles). Loved the ship and the crew was fantastic.

I take it that this is out of Galveston, so I have to tell you something that was mentioned to us by several of Splendour's crew members, as we were on one of the last Med sailings before the ship started heading back to Galveston. Some of the crew mentioned that this one does get a bit rowdy, so be prepared for that.

Among the crew members, the four day to Cozumel cruise is known as "the party barge", full of what they called (and I quote) "hard-partying Texans". Not typically what you might normally see on RCI, but could be a very good time!!!!. In fact, I memtioned to DW that this itinerary could have the makings for a very fun long weekend!

Go and have a great time!!!!!!

See I am a ship person, I dont care about ports. I think the ship is what makes the impression, it is the first thing you see.

I am also a ship person and the ports are secondary.

If your DH is particular I would wait and cruise on a newer ship personally. While I am not a fan of the large ships (Voyager class, Freedom class) I think that RCI's Radiance class are the best in the fleet.

I would wait.

Considering its your husbands first cruise, i would certinly wait. Remember you dont get a 2nd chance at a first impression.

Their are some people who dont like cruising, So with that in mind I would wait and get a 7 day cruise going to some other place then cozumel.

For a first timer, the eastern side would be better i would think, Lets face Mexico is just that Mexico.

I guess i have bad feeling towards Mexico ever since my wife was charged 25 cent PER SQUARE of toilet paper. Yes they took all the paper out of the tourist area spots and charged you 25 cent per square of toilet paper.

I for one have had enough of That country, Do yourself a favor and take a nice 7 day cruise to the eastern Carrib. Its worth the wait.

Mark from PA

Totally agree with you on the Mexico thing - for many additional reasons as well. I also agree about the Eastern Carib itin. It has great ports and sea days - a good combination. I remember being at Tulum ruins and needing a restroom. Fortunately I had kleenex so I buzzed right by the lady with the 25 cents a sheet toilet paper. Pretty unbelievable.

We wouldn't go on another Western Caribbean cruise if somebody else paid for it. We've been on three and there is just no appeal there for us.

On the other hand, the Eastern Caribbean has a magic about it that remains appealing no matter how many times we've been to those ports.

Whatever floats your boat.

I feel just the opposite. Eastern is great for shopping if thats what you are in to. We like snorkeling and diving. Most of the ports that 7 day Eastern Cruises go to are just ok for that type of activity (except Gran Turk...fantastic) but cant compare to Cozumel, Grand Caymen, or Belize for this type of activity. So I wont cruise if Eastern is the only choice, but would do it if someone else was paying for it. Any cruise is a good one, especially if its free.:D

Any cruise is a good one, especially if its free.:D

I don't buy it, Gary. I've been on three cruises where I couldn't wait to get off the ship. Two were on NCL and one on RCI. Nothing is great 100% of the time.

The fact that something is free or cheap changes nothing for me. It's either worthwhile or it's not and that includes cruising.

Bob

I don't buy it, Gary. I've been on three cruises where I couldn't wait to get off the ship. Two were on NCL and one on RCI. Nothing is great 100% of the time.

The fact that something is free or cheap changes nothing for me. It's either worthwhile or it's not and that includes cruising.

Bob

I'm with you on this one! I have been on a half dozen or so where I could not wait to get off the ship. I have also turned down a handful of freebies when the ship and line did not appeal.

Free is a relative term as it still is an investment in vacation time and money.

If I don't like it enough to pay for it, why go for free?:confused:

I would agree with taking the Eastern itin. on a longer cruise. The south. is particulaly appealing but the airfare,etc. for all of us to/from San Juan is not typically in the budget. :D We do prefer the newer ships, however, and often let that dictate our itinerary. We've done both east and west caribb. several times so the ports aren't that big of deal to us anymore. That said, we're taking the w. itin. in January simply b/c that's when we could travel and are looking forward to just vegging on the ship this time around, anyway. We are usually exhausted rushing from place to place trying fit it all in!! I am also really looking forward to experiencing the Jewel for the first time. We've have always done the larger ships in the past.

I would look into finding the newest ship you can, with whatever ports most interest your DH for at least 7 nights, if possible. Good luck :)

Archived