Mariner and High Seas

junobeach

We were on her two years ago in May and there was a tropical depression off of Haiti so we had some pretty high seas. I take Bonine from the moment I leave the house until we are back home and I did not have any problems. I remember running on the tread mill in the gym and you could feel it but it wasn't terrible. I also don't remember seeing any other sick people.

When is your upcoming trip? Obviously your chances of dealing with rough seas varies depending on what time of year it is. Even knowing that it's still hard to tell what the weather will be like. All the ships have some kind of stabilizing equipment and the newer ones will have better systems. I was on the Grandeur in rough seas (10 foot swells) and it handled it great and that ship is about half as big as the Mariner and almost 10 years older so that should give you an idea of how it can handle bad weather.

Just returned from a cruise on the Mariner(10/29/06). We encountered waves of about 15 feet on the last day of our cruise. We certainly were rockin n rollin!! After the entire pool deck flooded at about 9am, the pools were drained and netting was put on top. The jacuzzis remained open for awhile, but then it appeared they were closed as well.

Captain Johnny announced that he would take a different route home and that things should calm down after 7 pm. He was right and the rest of the evening was fine, which made me very happy, since we had dinner in Chops @ 7pm. After about 1am, things picked up again, but we were in bed by then and we were just rocked to sleep.

I would suggest that if you are prone to seasickness, wear a patch (I did) or have some bonine, ginger, dramamine, etc. available, just in case.

We were on Mariner in May of this year. The first nite was a little rough with the Capt making a couple of comments the next morning during the announcements. My step dad had to leave dinner the first nite but all else was fine. The rest of us had no problems.

Yes, I agree with ERsecurity.....try to get a center room. That will aid you if you do encounter some high seas.

We also just returned from the 10/29 voyage on Mariner, and the seas were rough on and off throughout the cruise. Our first day out was supposed to be Castaway Cay, and we couldn't tender in due to the choppy seas. Toward the end we had a day of pretty high seas, and we certainly were rockin' and rollin'. Walking down the hallways, you would find yourself heading in one direction, and the next thing you knew, you were headed three feet over to your right or left! I ran into a couple of women in the rest room who were sick, but for the most part, I think everyone handled it pretty well, at least judging by attendance in the dining venues!

I'm a relatively new cruiser, and this is something that always scared me about cruising. I found the Mariner handled things pretty well, and it hasn't stopped me from planning my next cruise.

The Mariner was a beautiful ship, and Captain Johnny and his sense of humour just added to the fun.

we were also with the posters on the 10/29 cruise. Seas were very ruff on our last night, out of 8 in our group only 2 didn't feel sick. Capt. Johnny did help us out by going into the Islands. Make sure you get to meet Phil, he's the "bootie" guy, he had me in stitches, love him, WHOP WHOP!!!!:D

I too was on the 10/29 cruise... for the most part the Mariner handled the seas great! I had a cabin near the forward elevators on deck 9 and had no issues with seasickness, that is until the last day. I did get very sick the last day despite taking meds. that worked all the other days at sea.

The seas were pretty rough, ecspecially when our dining room waiter even got sick that morning! :)

I had sailed on the Carnival Sensation (a smaller/older ship) 2 years ago and the Mariner handled the high seas sooo much better.

Have fun, I loved this ship!

One more 10/29'er here. I think that the ship handled the waves well. Especially in comparison to some of the other ships that I've been on.

On that last day, when the pools were sloshing over, the only place I started to feel odd was in the Lotus Lounge, an enclosed lounge in the very forward part of the ship. Once I left and went to a more open area, all was okay. We had a midship cabin on deck 10 and had no problem.

The crew was nice enough to hang some bags from the stairwell railings, but I never saw anybody partake. You can also get free motion sickness tablets from the Purser's desk. Plus, Captain Johnny will do his best to make it as comfortable as possible for the guests.

We were also on the 10/29 sailing of the Mariner. We had a balcony on deck 6 and it was getting wet with spray and was totally encrusted with salt from the winds. We did not get seasick on board but for 1.5 days (until Monday afternoon) when ever I stood still, my body was still feeling the waves; it was nauseating and gave me a headache. I, too, was suprised by the number of folks in the dining room, windjammer and out and about considering how rough it was.

We were on the Mariner last October and encountered rough seas on the last day. Seas were between 15-20 feet and very windy (I think we were right after a tropical storm or sometihng). The ship was rocking pretty good. Most people had the drunken walk. My wife got sick and could not make dinner the last night. Highly recommend something for motion sickness. You will love the Mariner. If you would to check out my pictures click on this link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wpspoth/my_photos

We, too, were on deck 6 last week (10/29) on the Mariner. There was definitely a lot of salt buildup on the balcony. While I didn't get seasick, it did take me longer than usual to get back to normal on land. Even with rough seas, it was a great cruise.

Sandy

Yes..the seas were high that last day. (Nov 5th) I got sick..but..our cabin was aft. I think we got a lot more motion than other on the ship. (except for those in forward cabins)

The center of the ship was much more smooth!

We were up by the pool when it was sloshing out! There was severl inches of water where people were trying to lay out. lol

The Mariner is a awesome ship! Captain Johnny is the best!! We loved him. Take care. :)

Archived