Help Me Convince him.....

Me, dh and son (then 6 yrs) took our first cruise in 2002. I loved it and was bitten by the cruise bug the moment my lil piggies walked on board. We have not cruised since. Talked about it, but no booked cruises. Last year, I began a "cruise fund" and put my money I earned by ebay, consigning, paid surveys, etc. into the fund. I have just about enough for a cruise (excluding how to get there) I have presented the idea to dh, but he seems luke warm about it. I have done this to treat my family. I am a stay-at-home mom and I wanted to do something for everyone. My son is 10 now and remembers the cruise and talks about it all the time. I now have a dd who is 3 and I feel she would enjoy as well. I gave him a letter expressing why I wanted to cruise, but no response yet. I guess I love cruising more than him:confused:

Any suggestions?;)

My DH has never enjoyed cruising as much as we do, either. He's catching on, though!! His type A personality would never let him shut down long enough to relax and enjoy. It was always about day 4 before he could really get into it, and by then it was almost time to head home.

He has now come to love the fact that it is just such an easy family vacation. There's so much to do at any given time, no schlepping back and forth with transporation to get where you need to be, etc. The biggest decision you'll have to make is when and where to have your next meal ;)

Everything is at your fingertips. It is such great quality family time. We love enjoying the dining room together, taking in all the shows, utilizing all the great ship amenities and experiencing new exotic locations. You get to experience so many more destinations then you would on a land vacation. We have made so many priceless memories.

The main reason DH is now on board with cruising.... is his love for us :) He knows that we all really enjoy it. As the saying goes, "When Mama is happy, everbody is happy :D

Good luck!!!

Sometimes men just need a fire lit under their butt to get them going! What I would do is print out 3 different itineraries, and present them to him as "Pick which one we will be going on within the next 12 months and I will book it today! We have the money, now all you need to do is choose!" That way, you've done all the work, he just has to make a choice. :)

I read your post and it brought back memories. I wanted to go on a cruise for our honeymoon DH said "no way, there is no way you are getting me on a big ship out in the middle of nowhere....ever hear of the Titanic?' Well, 13 years later I got him on a ship but without some pushing. I finally got him to agree when I convince my neighbors what a wonderful vacation it would be. You guessed it I had to get my neighbors (our best friends) to want to go before finally working on DH. Once he heard that they wanted to go very badly he agreed. Then once onboard he was amazed and on the second day expressed highly that once we got home we were booking another. 2 months to go and counting until our trip on the Navigator:rolleyes: :D .

Maybe if you can get friends or other family members to join you he would be more open to it.

You wrote him a letter? Is he overseas?

Why don't you book it and give it to the family for a Christmas present? Even if you don't book it because you are not sure of the dates available to him, then "pretend" you booked it and work it out from there.

You wrote him a letter? Is he overseas?

You are too funny--I can't stop laughing(I've got tears coming out of my eyes).

ColeandAbby--I have been on 5 cruises, and can't wait to plan another. I think you have a great plan, your husband should be thrilled that you have already got the financial part whipped. It is a great family trip with something for every one. Maybe you can sweeten the deal by fulfilling one of his special wishes if he does this little thing for you. It's true, if you are happy, he will be rewarded! Good luck!

Does he like to vacation at all? Some people just don't like to spend money on vacations when there are other bills to pay. I booked a cruise for my "big" birthday because that is what I wanted to do. He agreed (not with a whole lot of enthusiasm mind you). We went, had a great time and he even said after we got home, "I'm glad you booked that cruise". I give my DH choices but his response is.... "I don't care". Well, that really helps. I think there are other reasons your DH is luke warm about it. You might want to talk to him instead of writing a letter and find out just why he isn't that excited. If he really just isn't interested in cruising see what he does want to do. Is a trip to Disney World with the kids an option? They have some great family specials. Good luck!

I book the cruises and then tell him where and when we are going. He loves not having to deal with any of the details. ;)

You could do this, but keep your options open by booking it way in advance so as to not lose your deposit (over 3 months out, you're safe).

Then tell him that on this cruise you'll not only have family time with the kids - dinner, ports, time at the pool, but you'll also have "alone" time when the kids are in Adventure Ocean. You may have LOTS of alone time because the kids may not want to ever come out - lol!!! Then tell him that some of that alone time is just for him, and let him pick out some things he may want to do.

I think you'll be able to convince him this way :D .

You saved $$$ for it...tell him you are going. (I don't understand the letter-writing dynamic in a marriage, unless there is something I am being totally dense about).

If he doesn't want to go, book it for you and your kids. Once he realizes it's important to you, and that you actually will go without him, maybe next time he'll be more attentive to your wishes. :)

In the mean time, you and the kids should go and have a fab time without him!

T

Brings back memories for me too.

For years I tried to convince my DH, who kept coming up with the usual excuses, I'll be seasick, bored, too much water out there.

I dragged him to a presentation at a local TA - on a Mediterranean cruise, which he managed to doze through, missing all the visual presentation. On the way home he asked OK how big is this ship - once I gave him the measurements he got excited, and when I heard him telling friends "our ship is 952 ft long" , then I knew he was getting interested. So numbers did it for him. Started him off in the Caribbean, then the Panama Canal, this year we did a 28 day Sydney - San Francisco crossing and he is truly hooked.

Of course history has been rewritten, and cruising was all his idea:rolleyes:

Next cruise - Brilliance of the Seas Transatlantic April 16 2007

Last October I booked a cruise on the Radiance for Oct 28, 2006. I did not tell my husband until Christmas - told him it was not a present but with a small payment each month, we would not even miss the money and would have a great time. He did not want to go but I am stubborn and would not cancel it. So I just didn't talk about it - I had a great cabin with an awesome balcony and there was no way I was going to cancel. So as the months went by, whenever it was brought up - he was against it. It got to the point that I was ready to take one of my adult children if he didn't go.

As the time drew closer, he warmed to it a little but at no point was he excited about it.

To make a very long story short, we were on the Radiance last week and had the best time we have ever had on a cruise. He actually told me what a good time he was having and apologized for being such a huge poophead for an entire year.

So don't give up - he will have an awesome time - you just have to have the strength to put up with him until you sail!!!

Me, dh and son (then 6 yrs) took our first cruise in 2002. I loved it and was bitten by the cruise bug the moment my lil piggies walked on board. We have not cruised since. Talked about it, but no booked cruises. Last year, I began a "cruise fund" and put my money I earned by ebay, consigning, paid surveys, etc. into the fund. I have just about enough for a cruise (excluding how to get there) I have presented the idea to dh, but he seems luke warm about it. I have done this to treat my family. I am a stay-at-home mom and I wanted to do something for everyone. My son is 10 now and remembers the cruise and talks about it all the time. I now have a dd who is 3 and I feel she would enjoy as well. I gave him a letter expressing why I wanted to cruise, but no response yet. I guess I love cruising more than him:confused:

Any suggestions?;)

What I did was went and booked it on my on. This was my DW and mine 2nd cruise but we have a 14yr dd and an 8 yr ds that was going on their first .My DW likes to cruise but I don’t think she like’s to spend the money. I waited about 6 months from booking the to tell them. We were at dinner one night the four of us, I pulled out this paper that I had typed up tell them about me booking the cruise. I figured that my dw didn’t like where we’re going we could book some other cruise.

Thank you all for your replies. To the ones that questioned the "letter" part, it' something we have always done. It started as when we dated..years ago...too long to get into!;)

As you can tell by my ticker below, I found a great deal and went ahead and put down the reservations! I have until Nov 23 to cancel w/out losing the deposit. I did it & then told him. It was such a great deal & the rates were a steal!!

I'm like others, I can't imagine anyone not liking to cruise. It's a win-win situation for all!!:p

the storys here are a good read- i love to cruise and dh just goes to make me happy even tho he really does have a good time-

good luck- i hope your dh becomes as addicted as the rest of us cruise crazies!!!!

so next time it wont be such a dilema for you...:)

Regarding the letter-writing dynamic, this is actually a highly effective communication tool recommended by marriage counselors and therapists as an adjunct to conversation. Using the written approach allows a person to express themselves in a clear and well-thought out manner, without interruption or concerns about not truly being heard or taken seriously. Distractions are eliminated and minds tend to be more open to the subject being discussed.

To the OP: Have a great trip!

I book the cruises and then tell him where and when we are going. He loves not having to deal with any of the details. ;)

I book and he pays and he is so happy about it when we get there! Of course he secretly loves cruising, too. I never book something I don't THINK he'll love...he just likes making fun of my cruise addiction. And even if he is a poophead, he'll get over it...how can you not have fun after stepping onto that ship:D

Urban and Susan, make that triplets!! That is why your comment made me chuckle because I have a"poophead", too! But somehow he always manages to have a good time once he gets on the ship.....very strange, maybe he actually likes cruising????!!!!

I have no problem with DH wanting to cruise. I tell him where we're going and when he needs to be ready to go.:p Here's a good one though - I am the 'Ringmaster' for what we have dubbed 'The Family Circus Cruise'. There are 18 of us going on Explorer in January. In telling DH's uncle about the trip and going through some pictures from our 8/06 AOS trip he (uncle) said "that looks great - got room for 2 more?". SURE! Here's the good part. When he asked his DW, she said no - not interested. He booked anyways. We leave Jan. 14, he isn't telling her till Christmas! The whole family knows. This one may get interesting!! BTW - got them a great room, a hump D2! C'mon clown, turn that frown around:D

Archived