Shore Excursions for Pregnant Woman?

flexiblepony

My wife and I were just on the 10/14 sailing of the NCL Dream and one of the stops was Belize. My wife was 21 weeks pregnant at the time. We did the Lamani and the New River excursion. The tour is basically a 1 hour bus ride with the guide talking about the ruins and Belize history followed by a 1.5 hour boat ride to the Lamani ruins. The boat ride was pretty fast at times but the river is very smooth so you don't have to worry about being bumped around. We made stops along the river for our guide to point out different types of wildlife and other various things. Once at the ruins we were fed a lunch consisting of chicken, rice, soda, and some sort of cocunut desert. You then spend about 2.5 hours touring the ruins with your guide before you do the boat / bus trip in reverse. There is a fair ammount of walking to do but it is pretty flat terrain. My wife had no problem with the walking part. The best part for her was that there were bathrooms both at the place where you got off the bus to get on the boat and at the ruins themselves. Let me know if you have any questions.

Keith

There is a licensed tour guide named Gilbert Young (everyone calls him Gilly) that has a "kiosk" (that is Belize for folding table) inside the fence there at the dock. He is set up in front of the Wet Lizard (a restaurant) to the right as you get off the tender. He can customize a tour specifically for you that fits into your comfort zone. You can email him for suggestions about a tour at gillytours@yahoo.com. Tell him what you are interested in and he can tell you how much you can fit into the time you there at port or you can wait until you get to port and walk over and arrange something with him then.

The 2 things I have stressed to Gilly is that cruisers want to be safe and to know that they will be back to the ship on time. Since Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America... there won't be a lanuage barrier. Tell him that Linda said to take good care of you.

I would not recommend leaving the fenced port area without some kind of organized tour. (either independent or through the ship)

If you are wanting to do a tour that is far from the port, I would recommend a ship tour...since the ship will wait for you if there is a problem.

Have a great day in Belize!

Archived