Santo Tomas/ ???Jade for sale???

Tarheelbelle

Someone on my roll call mentioned that jade items can be purchased at Santo Tomas, but didn't elaborate. Also on one website I did see that jade is found in Guatemala, but again no details.

Anyone who has been there: did you see jade items for sale?

Thanks!

Yep, Just got back on the Veendam. There is a shopping "village" right on the pier and vendors selling lots of jade and silver jewelry. We didn't buy any, but looked and it was beautiful. Sorry no price info either--didn't want to ask, because I didn't want to negotiate. We did buy some beautiful textiles tho. Be sure to haggle! Marti

Yep, Just got back on the Veendam. There is a shopping "village" right on the pier and vendors selling lots of jade and silver jewelry. We didn't buy any, but looked and it was beautiful. Sorry no price info either--didn't want to ask, because I didn't want to negotiate. We did buy some beautiful textiles tho. Be sure to haggle! Marti

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone should be aware that anytime you buy "right off the pier", you are basically buying from the cruise lines. They exercise VERY tight control over vendors close to the ships and actually take a "bounty" of every sale, if they do not actually own the shops. You will get MUCH better value off the beaten path from local vendors. In Cozumel I walked 4 blocks away from the pier and got BETTER merchandise for 1/2 what it was close in.

Everyone should be aware that anytime you buy "right off the pier", you are basically buying from the cruise lines. They exercise VERY tight control over vendors close to the ships and actually take a "bounty" of every sale, if they do not actually own the shops. You will get MUCH better value off the beaten path from local vendors. In Cozumel I walked 4 blocks away from the pier and got BETTER merchandise for 1/2 what it was close in.

You are so right - about the pricing at least. I'm told that in Belize, you have to go to the area away from the port for shopping. We were in Santo Tomas last spring and the prices for jade, or other semi precious stones was extremely high. Cozumel I found the further down the street we went the better the bargains were. Can't wait to get to St. Thomas this year ( well Jan 07) to see what is available there. Happy hunting.

Archived