Kona Snorkel Tours

mar2c1

DH, sister-in-law & I did the Captain Zodiac snorkel trip out of Kona. We all thought it was fabulous! Your trip out is rather bouncy but I was prepared for that. But the snorkeling was amazing - it was the best snorkeling we had in Hawaii. Even saw turtles & moray eels besides all the colorful fish. On the way back our captain stopped the boat so we could watch a huge stingray feed - he was gliding through the water with his mouth wide open!

I highly recommend this experience.

Remember that Kealakekua Bay is still closed because of the earthquake. Although thus far there has been less damage to the reefs than first feared, there is still the issue of instability in the hills above the bay. There is some concern that further damage could occur (not to mention that they probably don't want people who are snorkeling to get squashed by large boulders rolling down into the bay).

Captain Zodiac normally goes to K-Bay, but is going to alternate locations for the time being. Just an FYI.

beachchick

Remember that Kealakekua Bay is still closed because of the earthquake. Although thus far there has been less damage to the reefs than first feared, there is still the issue of instability in the hills above the bay. There is some concern that further damage could occur (not to mention that they probably don't want people who are snorkeling to get squashed by large boulders rolling down into the bay).

Captain Zodiac normally goes to K-Bay, but is going to alternate locations for the time being. Just an FYI.

beachchick

A portion of Kealakekua is open....I saw Zodiac there about a week ago... snorkeling is still terriific...see if they go to two snorkel spots like other tours do... Seaquest rafting does that and leaves from Keauhou rather than Honokowaa Harbor...don't do cattle calls like body glove or fair wind

A portion of Kealakekua is open....I saw Zodiac there about a week ago... snorkeling is still terriific...see if they go to two snorkel spots like other tours do... Seaquest rafting does that and leaves from Keauhou rather than Honokowaa Harbor...don't do cattle calls like body glove or fair wind

In this context, what do you mean by "cattle call"? Are you saying you don't recommend Body Glove? I don't even ssee Fair Wind listed as an excursion at least not on the 4/30/07 cruise.

As for Captain Zodiac: I read somewhere that it is not for the faint of bladder. How bad is it?

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Captain Zodiac on November 1st and snorkeled at Kalakaluea Bay. A Coast Guard boat was stationed close to the cliffs to prevent anyone from entering the areaclose to shore. There was still a danger of rockslides/falling debris as a result of the Oct 15th earthquake. Water visibility was great with many beautiful fish. We encountered 2 pods of spinner dolphins on our return trip. Overall, this was a great trip.

At Kona, I plan to take the Body Glove. I'd love to take Captains Z but my son saw the picture of the water slide and loves the idea of jumping off of the top of the boat.

One really good reason to take a NCL excursion is ....

You will be in the groups that get to Tender first. Last time we were there, you have a long wait to get on a Tender.

I am curious of how you get back into the rafts on the Captains tour....

Is it a rope ladder or something sturdier.

In this context, what do you mean by "cattle call"? Are you saying you don't recommend Body Glove? I don't even ssee Fair Wind listed as an excursion at least not on the 4/30/07 cruise.

As for Captain Zodiac: I read somewhere that it is not for the faint of bladder. How bad is it?

I wrote a post about the possible meaning of "cattle call" and discussiong options. Something about it apparently triggered the "no-no" button for the mods. In a nutshell, I think cattle call refers to the fact that the larger boats take more passengers and can feel crowded.

beachchick

We took the catamaran from NCl and really enjoyed it. We motored to our site and saw many beautitul fish and several pods of spinner dolphins. On the way back we set sails and off we went. Very pleasant and fun. They also give you food and drinks while on board.

What is the name of that excursion?

I wrote a post about the possible meaning of "cattle call" and discussiong options. Something about it apparently triggered the "no-no" button for the mods. In a nutshell, I think cattle call refers to the fact that the larger boats take more passengers and can feel crowded.

beachchick

Can you re-post the info that you posted about the different snorkeling excursions in Kona? Thank you.

Can you re-post the info that you posted about the different snorkeling excursions in Kona? Thank you.
If you want shore excursion information on this board it has to be about NCL shore excursions only. Please visit the ports of call board for independent shore excursion recommendations.

If you want shore excursion information on this board it has to be about NCL shore excursions only. Please visit the ports of call board for independent shore excursion recommendations.

All of the shore excursions that I have posted about were NCL shore excursions. And, the excursion that Beach Chick tried to tell us about were also NCL excursions. Please restore her post, since it should not have been deleted. Thank you.

mitsguy2001: I'm sure I touched on tours that are not NCL-sponsored excursions, so no doubt that's why my post was removed. If you hop over to the Hawaii forum and ask about Kona snorkel tours, you'll get plenty of info (I promise to post there for you).

beachchick

All of the shore excursions that I have posted about were NCL shore excursions. And, the excursion that Beach Chick tried to tell us about were also NCL excursions. Please restore her post, since it should not have been deleted. Thank you.
Actually the post that was removed was about an excursion not through NCL and Beachchick says it's not available through NCL. However, as mentioned, there are tremendous resources on the Hawaii board and members visiting Hawaii should use that board because it's great!

mitsguy2001: I'm sure I touched on tours that are not NCL-sponsored excursions, so no doubt that's why my post was removed. If you hop over to the Hawaii forum and ask about Kona snorkel tours, you'll get plenty of info (I promise to post there for you).

beachchick

I posted there already, but I didn't see your response.

Actually the post that was removed was about an excursion not through NCL and Beachchick says it's not available through NCL. However, as mentioned, there are tremendous resources on the Hawaii board and members visiting Hawaii should use that board because it's great!

Just out of curiosity, why did you completely delete her post, rather than moving it to the Hawaii forum, or just deleting the content that you felt was off topic. I have seen other posts that were far more off topic that you didn't delete. I and others really wanted a quick response so that I (and others) can book before they are all sold out. I did post to the Hawaii board, but no one ever responds, probably since most people don't even know that board exists. Is there any way that you can at least forward Beachchick's response to me? She probably spent a lot of time on that response, and I have been waiting now for 2 weeks for a response. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, why did you completely delete her post, rather than moving it to the Hawaii forum, or just deleting the content that you felt was off topic. I have seen other posts that were far more off topic that you didn't delete. I and others really wanted a quick response so that I (and others) can book before they are all sold out. I did post to the Hawaii board, but no one ever responds, probably since most people don't even know that board exists. Is there any way that you can at least forward Beachchick's response to me? She probably spent a lot of time on that response, and I have been waiting now for 2 weeks for a response. Thanks.

I honestly don't mind that the whole thing was removed. It wasn't that detailed, and besides, I'm the one who forgot and posted non-NCL excursion info. Our mods have so much to do in keeping everything flowing smoothly (and plenty of flame wars to extinguish) that there's no way they could take the time to wade through individiual posts.

I'm only on the boards at night and so haven't seen your post yet. I'll hop over to the Hawaii forum and check for your post right now.:D

beachchick

One issue I might have with Captain Zodiac is that I wear contact lenses. I can't see anything without them. Because I could potentially lose them, I'd need to bring extra pairs, and also my glasses as a backup. Would that be a problem on Captain Zodiac? Is there any space to store a bag on that excursion, where it will stay dry? Or, am I better off with another excursion where I'd have the space to store that, even if the snorkeling isn't quite as good? Thanks.

Has anyone ever done the Kamanu Catamaran Dolphin Sail and Snorkel excursion, in Kona, Hawaii? As I posted earlier, my girlfriend and I are still trying to figure out which snorkeling excursion to book, and we are now thinking about that one. Does anyone have any comments on it? Do you recommend it or not recommend it? Thank you.

Take Fairwinds, large boat with 100 snorkelers but you never feel cramped, second level deck is great for catching rays, the captain and the mates are real nice. easy to make from the tender in KOna. Get tender passes at 7:30Am on the boat-one of the night clubs is where you meet to get them- we were on shore by 8:00Am- very short tender- I believe we left by 7:45AM. WE took a cab to the Fairwinds- about a 20 minute ride and had the cab meet us when the Fairwinds returned from our trip. we arrrived over a hour early- people were queing in line for a hour to try to get seats on the top deck; we did not que and we did not have any prolem securing a seat up top. They serve a nice lunch- they grill burgers and hot dogs; try the Maui sweet onion chips- they rock-

When we left they were playing some really good music- rock-pop and some lady complained about it so they changed to some lame FRank Sinatra songs. It was funny that anyone could conplain when in Hawaii escepcially after the great day we had. Enjoy

Take Fairwinds, large boat with 100 snorkelers but you never feel cramped, second level deck is great for catching rays, the captain and the mates are real nice. easy to make from the tender in KOna. Get tender passes at 7:30Am on the boat-one of the night clubs is where you meet to get them- we were on shore by 8:00Am- very short tender- I believe we left by 7:45AM. WE took a cab to the Fairwinds- about a 20 minute ride and had the cab meet us when the Fairwinds returned from our trip. we arrrived over a hour early- people were queing in line for a hour to try to get seats on the top deck; we did not que and we did not have any prolem securing a seat up top. They serve a nice lunch- they grill burgers and hot dogs; try the Maui sweet onion chips- they rock-

When we left they were playing some really good music- rock-pop and some lady complained about it so they changed to some lame FRank Sinatra songs. It was funny that anyone could conplain when in Hawaii escepcially after the great day we had. Enjoy

Unfortunately, I can't do Fairwinds on my cruise, since we won't be docking early enough at Kona (later than the other cruises, since mine has a slightly different itinerary for some reason), and since I'm in a Cat. DD room, I'd have low priority for a tender. So that's not an option.

Of the snorkeling excursions that are bookable through NCL, which do you recommend? It seems to be the only options are Captain Zodiac, Kamanu, and Body Glove. And, as I posted elsewhere, Captain Zodiac might be a bad idea for me.

Archived