Alcohol Purchases on back to back cruises.

cdman

We are taking 2 cruises back to back at the end of February first an eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Victory, followed by a western on the Freedom of the seas. I was wondering about alcohol purchases. If we purchase rum in St. Thomas what can we do when we go to the second cruise? If we take it with us can we check it in with Royal Caribbean or just keep it in our cabin? Can we then buy additional bottles of liqueur on the second cruise? Thanks in advance.

We are taking 2 cruises back to back at the end of February first an eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Victory, followed by a western on the Freedom of the seas. I was wondering about alcohol purchases. If we purchase rum in St. Thomas what can we do when we go to the second cruise? If we take it with us can we check it in with Royal Caribbean or just keep it in our cabin? Can we then buy additional bottles of liqueur on the second cruise? Thanks in advance.

There is a limit for alcohol brought back to the US. Once you exceed the limit, you get taxed large dollars by Customs.

Was bringing back Kahlua from Mexico five weeks ago. Had 4 bottles ($8.50per bottle in Mexico for the large bottle). When the Customs guy got finished with me in Algodones, the extra bottles cost me $16.32. Costco sells the same bottle for $17.43. I lost money on the deal.

Think it through carefully in respect to Customs.

I am aware of the customs issue. I know you are allowed 1 liter for each passenger. It used to be you could get an extra 1 if you visited St Thomas and bought rum made in St. Thomas, I haven't been there in 10 years though, and don't know if that is still true. I want to know if being I come back to the U.S. between cruises if I can purchase 1 bottle for each of us on the second cruise without having to pay customs on them and what do I do with the rum from the first cruise when I go oon the second cruise?

If you try and take the bottles of alcohol onboard the Freedom of the Seas, there is a good likelihood that it will be confiscated and won't be returned to you until the end of the cruise. Some people have gotten their hidden bottles of alcohol through but others have reported that they've been called down to guest relations to remove the bottles of alcohol from their bags before they were delivered.

Also, the customs limitations are per 30 day time period, not per cruise. So remember that if you want to buy something on your second cruise without paying duty on it, you need to make sure you don't reach your customs limit on your first cruise.

I don't think that you will have a problem being on the same ship for both cruises. I'm on 2 different cruise lines and I'm affraid that I won't be able to get my rum in St. Thomas like I planned. I called Royal Caribbean and they said that they did not have facilities to store it until the Freedom returns to port.

Archived