flying with little one... new approved portable restraint

Cruz_gal

hello all,

we are planning a cruise in May with our little one, but we start off flying. I have been looking for an alternate so we do not have to bring our car seat on board with us.

I did a search and found this new product that was just approved in the USA (FAA) for take off, fight and landing. It is called CARES.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

it is a very small and portable device (fits in a small bag and weighs less then 1lb) that attaches to the airplane seat and they say it is as protective as a car seat (but you can not use in the car). It is made by the same company that makes the seat belts for the planes.

It is for small children between 22-44 lbs and is about $75us.

so... has anyone heard of this, and what is your feedback? As well, we will be flying from Canada so do you know if it would be approved here as well??

thanks for your help, and I hope this helps others too if it is a good thing.

K :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cruz_Gal,

I just looked at the website for the CARES as I would definitely consider this for my 23 pound 2 1/2 yr old- we are flying in Feb. and again in Dec./07.

It doesn't appear that they ship to Canada! :( (I live in Ontario). i'm going to send them an e-mail and see what they say......

Oops, just found my answer about shipping- here's directly from the website which talks about shipping outside of north america, so obviously they must ship to Canada:

Can my order be shipped outside of North America?

Yes. Call 1-800-299-6249 for rates to various countries.

Please note that at this time CARES is certified for use only on airlines under the jurisdiction of the FAA 椧Ӡthis means all US registered airlines.¾鎮 US registered planes, CARES may be used for international travel.

We bought two, one for my 22 month old and the other for my 3 year old and used them this past week. I have mixed feelings about it. The pluses, its small and both fit in my diaper bag so we didnt have to lug around a car seat. My 3 year old would have just used the lap belt so this was more secure.

The minuses, I dont think the 22 month old slept because he didnt have a place for his head and slouched down. He would have been more comfortable in a car seat. My 3 year old took it off himself, I think he is too old for it, I will be sending his back.

The flight attendant on Jet Blue stopped to check it out b/c they just received a memo about it. He also said that if these work out, airlines might keep them on board rather than passengers bringing their own.

So the question is, do I recommend it? Not for a 3 year old who no longer sits in a car seat with a 5 point harness. (This is a 3 point, but its the same concept on the top part) We are cruising again in Feb and I will probably use it again for my then 2 year old, but I will also get pillows or something to hold his head up so he can nap.

Archived