How much do your kids actually use the slides?

Ilovemangoes

I am looking at a family cruise including DD8 and DS5. They both insist they want to go on a ship with a slide. My wife insists that she wants to go on a line that offers "freestyle" dining.

Carnival & RCCL have slides on their ships as do a couple of the newer NCL ones.

Princess and NCL have non-traditional dining.

The obvious choice would be NCL as they have both slides and freestyle dining.

But Princess also has MUTS, which I think might be a nice family activity in the evenings, but then we don't have a slide.

Anyone out there with kids similar in age that can fill me in on how often the kids might use the slide after the initial thrill has worn off? Might MUTS be a better overall choice?

We just came back from a 5 night on the Carnival Elation. We cruised with DD 9 and DS4. DS was a hair too short for the slide. But, DD was only on it 2 out of the 5 days. The first day she went down it maybe 4 times and the last day she went down I would guess about 15 times. I don't think she would have been too upset if she didn't get to slide.

If I had to choose I would say MUTS would be better for us, but you know your family.:rolleyes:

We went on NCL Dawn last year with our 2 kids: DS7 and DD2. DD was too young for the pool and not potty trained so we didn't even take her there. But, I couldn't get DS off the slides! The Dawn's children's pool area had 3 slides, if memory serves. Every day he had tough decisions: kid crew or the kid pool with the slides. He ended up doing both at some point in the day.

And, we are die-hard NCL fans BECAUSE of the freestyle dining. It's so much more relaxing when I don't have worry about scrambling to get everyone ready for dinner at a specific time. I have enough trouble doing that at home. We ate when we wanted, where we wanted and never had to wait in line. It was fabulous. Obviously, looking at my signature, we're going again next summer.

Happy Sailing!! :D

We sailed the Dawn last December with our girls(10,4,2 at the time). The slides are not as big as Carnival, but we could not keep our kids off them. My DH enjoyed them too, although, he wasn't allowed on them!! I don't think he'll ever grow up. When planning our trip this year, one of the first questions our girls asked was about slides. We decided on the NCL Spirit, it has slides, and freestyle can't be beat. Happy Planning, Janice

My kids loved the Children's pool and the slides on the NCL Spirit. My kids are a bit older, 11 and 8. They had a blast. The Spirit has lots of seating back by the pool as well as a hot tub. We spent a lot of time there.

The slides are smaller than Carnival but we have not been on the newer NCL ships yet (Jewel, Pearl, Gem).

We loved the Spirit and for now, we really love NCL Freestyle cruising for our family. We are going on the Dawn in NCL 2007!

Have fun.

A lot depends on the size of your kids, how many sea days you have and the weather.

We went on the Carnival Triumph in Jan. last year with four young kids: 5,5,4 & 3. They let the three older kids on the slide (the 3-year-old wasn't interested anyway, and was much too small), but I think they were being very lenient on size, especially for the 4-year-old. You might hit a ship where they are very strict on smaller kids using the slide. They used the slide for an hour or so on one day.

Also, there are days when the slides are not open at all, or not much, depending, I guess, upon weather and sea conditions. Our first day at sea was rather cool--afternoon high maybe 72, and breezy, and the kids weren't interested in being wet and standing in line to use the slide.

So isn't this nice advice! It just depends!! I personally wouldn't choose a ship just because it had a slide, but that's just my opinion.

Archived