NCL dinner reservations...

Gabgab

Here is my random thought for the night. It seems that one of the biggest complaints about freestyle concept is that you have to make your resvervations on the first day, ( I know some will say that its not true but it seems to me like it is at least very highly recomned if you want to eat at noraml times) And when you have to make resverations at the begning of the cruise it loses some of its, eat when ever you want and where ever you want quality. Beacuse you have to hope by the time you get through the line you can get your the time and places you want.

Now my thought isnt just to complain about this problam, merely to make a suggestion and see what you guys think about it. I think I remember reading some where that NCL use to only let you make reservations two days before hand or somthing like that. I like that idea so it gives other people a chance at getting places they want and times they want instead of the lucky people who happened to get there first to make all their reservations when they first boared. Now this might not work well for shorter crusie but diffently would help with 7day cruises or longer, I think. What do you guys think about this?

i was on the star, a very full star...got into endless summer..just walked up and was told a 15 mins wait. got reservations at cagney's for 7 the day before. other family members got into the soho room with same day reservations. you just can't be fussy about the time, it could be later in the evening.

i think the real problem is with some of the older ships with fewer restaurants on board. their speciality restaurants fill up faster then on the newer ships.

it's just that some people like to plan their vacation to the nith degree and like knowing that they have thier dinner plans made and set on the 1st day. heck, some people panic when they can't make their reservations on-line 3 months before their cruise. then others, like me, just "go with the flow" and could care less about planning where i get for 1st day of a vacation. on a cruise i know i will eat...somewhere!:D

that's why free-style works, make or not make reservations...it's up to you.

Freestyle is all about personal choice - reservations vs "taking a chance", multiple dining venues, etc. We've done both traditional and freestyle and our personal choice is freestyle. We make all of our reservations on day one and then we never have to think about it again.

Since we prefer the specialty restaurants (both for the food and the ambiance), it's just easier to do it all on day one. :)

Gabgab- I couldnt agree with you more. I think it would be nice if they passed out the little coaster light up thingies like some resturants do, so atleast if their is a wait you don't have to hang around checking back in. This is my first free style cruise so I really don't have any first hand experience.

We were on a full Dawn last week and had no problems making reservations later in the week. Now with that said, when we went to make another reservation for La Trattoria on that Thursday, we were told that everything was full for the rest of the week. I like your idea gabgab but I also agree with watchdiva that it is easier just to get all the reservations done on day one so you don't have to worry about it.

We were on a full Dawn last week and had no problems making reservations later in the week. Now with that said, when we went to make another reservation for La Trattoria on that Thursday, we were told that everything was full for the rest of the week. I like your idea gabgab but I also agree with watchdiva that it is easier just to get all the reservations done on day one so you don't have to worry about it.

Of course GO TROJANS!!!

As for reservations and freestyle, as has been said, it is still free style as we have so many choices of places and times to dine. Here is how we handled it on the Sun last April. DD and I decided which nights we wanted to eat in the specialty dining rooms and made our reservations almost as soon as we got on the ship. The remainder of the nights we ate when and where we wanted to. It worked out great.

Nita

i was on the star, a very full star...got into endless summer..just walked up and was told a 15 mins wait. got reservations at cagney's for 7 the day before. other family members got into the soho room with same day reservations. you just can't be fussy about the time, it could be later in the evening.

i think the real problem is with some of the older ships with fewer restaurants on board. their speciality restaurants fill up faster then on the newer ships.

it's just that some people like to plan their vacation to the nith degree and like knowing that they have thier dinner plans made and set on the 1st day. heck, some people panic when they can't make their reservations on-line 3 months before their cruise. then others, like me, just "go with the flow" and could care less about planning where i get for 1st day of a vacation. on a cruise i know i will eat...somewhere!:D

that's why free-style works, make or not make reservations...it's up to you

FreeStyle is not really working,that is why the other cruise lines have not followed NCL. Princess has some dining rooms reserved for anytime eating and others for traditional. There is always a wait list for traditional never for anytime.

One reason is when a lot of passengesr all go to eat at ther same time there will be a wait and sometimes a long wait. I have heard on the Pride ships as much as 2-hours. Either you wait the 2-hours or go to a surcharge resturant

They suggested making a reservation but will only take it for 8 or more people. Then if I have to make a resrvation every night this defaets the whole concept of eating when you want.

Contrary to belief FreeStyle is not working and the numerous letters to NCL complaining confirms it. Unfortunitly NCL seems to be ignoring the letters

now i see the glass as 1/2 full:D that it is working. since some of the other lines do allow some dining choices. but you might as well give up, once i got the "freestyle" service...i loved it.

the last time i had a "set" dining hour...well, the cruise was great, we had wonderful table companions. they even shared their wine with me. but it was a hassle everyday. getting back to the ship around 5pm...hot, tired, worn out from all the excurisons (athens to istanbul). one of us would go to the little sandwich bar and get some food to keep us alive until the late dinner seating. half the time we were so tired by then we didn't know what we were eating. if we had "freestyle" there would have not been a problem.

also, we don't always like a big meal...sometimes it's nice to just have a lite meal or to share something. if you ONLY like the set dining schedule, fine for you...i like choices.

the other problem is smokers, DH is very sensitive to smoke and i get heatburn when i am around it. no way could we share a table with smokers, we can't even be at the next table. it's just so much easier with freestyle.

I think it would be nice if they passed out the little coaster light up thingies like some resturants do, .

They are getting there. Don't know all of the ships they have this on, but they did on the Jewel last Dec when we were there.

-Monte

We really enjoy freestyle dining on NCL. We will be going on our 4th NCL cruise next summer.

We did make reservations for several of the nights (not all) when we were on the Spirit. Sometimes we ate with the kids early (6:00), sometimes we ate just the 2 of us (later 7:30-8:00) while the kids were at Kids Crew (already fed at the Blue Lagoon or buffet). The option to choose a different dining room and different times to eat based on the activities/ports of the day is wonderful. We have been able to go right in to a main dining room to eat and only once in 3 cruises with NCL have we had to wait (only 10 minutes on the Majesty) once.

We have been on other lines (although some not for several years) and I am sure will return someday. However, the assigned seating and set times do not thrill me anymore.

Freestyle works for our family and we are looking forward to our cruise in August 2007!

Contrary to belief FreeStyle is not working and the numerous letters to NCL complaining confirms it. Unfortunitly NCL seems to be ignoring the letters

How unusual are all these people copying you on their letters to NCL? Otherwise how would you know this?

I have had 3 NCL cruises and Freestyle works just fine - longest wait to be seated (at PRIME TIME) was less than 10 minutes.

BTW - the "Pride" problems have everything to do with less well-trained staff and staffing issues in general rather than Freestyle which works VERY well on the "internationally" crewed ships that were designed for Freestyle.

FreeStyle is not really working,that is why the other cruise lines have not followed NCL. Princess has some dining rooms reserved for anytime eating and others for traditional. There is always a wait list for traditional never for anytime.
Clearly, you do not like Freestyle, which is fine. But I disagree with your point that it's not working. And other lines are following suit. You yourself pointed out that Princess introduced Anytime Dining and they have certainly not concluded that it's a failed experiment. Now, HAL is experimenting with a form of non-traditional dining.

One reason is when a lot of passengesr all go to eat at ther same time there will be a wait and sometimes a long wait. I have heard on the Pride ships as much as 2-hours. Either you wait the 2-hours or go to a surcharge resturant
I've been on 6 Freestyle cruises and have had to wait only twice to be seated, each time for 5-10 minutes. To me, the understaffing on the Pride ships, which is probably the root cause of much of the passenger dissatisfaction with NCLA, is not representative of the rest of NCL's fleet.

They suggested making a reservation but will only take it for 8 or more people. Then if I have to make a resrvation every night this defaets the whole concept of eating when you want.
No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. It satisfies your choice of wanting to eat at a particular time.

Do you have any numbers to support this conclusion?

Again, I don't believe you're right about Freestyle not working. I, for one, am a huge fan of Freestyle cruising, along with many others on CC's NCL forum.

I agree! At the conclusion of every one of my NCL Freestyle cruises, they make me get off the ship! I keep complaining about it, but so far they are still ignoring me.

This sux

-Monte

Clearly, you do not like Freestyle, which is fine. But I disagree with your point that it's not working. And other lines are following suit. You yourself pointed out that Princess introduced Anytime Dining and they have certainly not concluded that it's a failed experiment. Now, HAL is experimenting with a form of non-traditional dining.

I've been on 6 Freestyle cruises and have had to wait only twice to be seated, each time for 5-10 minutes. To me, the understaffing on the Pride ships, which is probably the root cause of much of the passenger dissatisfaction with NCLA, is not representative of the rest of NCL's fleet.

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. It satisfies your choice of wanting to eat at a particular time.

Do you have any numbers to support this conclusion?

Again, I don't believe you're right about Freestyle not working. I, for one, am a huge fan of Freestyle cruising, along with many others on CC's NCL forum.

I agree! Freestyle Dining works on most NCL ships. But I will admit, it doesn't work as well on NCL's older, smaller ships. The Majesty, Dream, and Wind in particular. While stretching these ships gave some Freestyle dinner options; adding one Speciality Restaurant called the Le Bristo, and adding a second Main Restaurant aboard them, the rest of the public places can be crowded at times. Even the Crown, which wasn't stretched, lacks sufficient restaurants to make Freestyle Dining work. That's probably why building new ships has been NCL's major goal since adopting Freestyle Cruising, and why little has been done to the older ships since that decision had been made, and why the Norway sits on an Alang beach today.

I also believe one has to sail on NCL's built for Freestyle ships to see short wait times. While the NCLA ships are all built for Freestyle ships, their problems are mainly associated with being under staffed; not because NCL isn't hiring, but because there so much more turnover in staff. It takes time to weed out slackers.

But Freestyle Dining works on NCL's newer and larger ships.

I agree! Freestyle Dining works on most NCL ships. But I will admit, it doesn't work as well on NCL's older, smaller ships. The Majesty, Dream, and Wind in particular. While stretching these ships gave some Freestyle dinner options; adding one Speciality Restaurant called the Le Bristo, and adding a second Main Restaurant aboard them, the rest of the public places can be crowded at times. Even the Crown, which wasn't stretched, lacks sufficient restaurants to make Freestyle Dining work. That's probably why building new ships has been NCL's major goal since adopting Freestyle Cruising, and why little has been done to the older ships since that decision had been made, and why the Norway sits on an Alang beach today.

I also believe one has to sail on NCL's built for Freestyle ships to see short wait times. While the NCLA ships are all built for Freestyle ships, their problems are mainly associated with being under staffed; not because NCL isn't hiring, but because there so much more turnover in staff. It takes time to weed out slackers.

But Freestyle Dining works on NCL's newer and larger ships.

The Crown to Bermuda last year was actually my first cruising experience. The freestyle dining concept worked very well. My husband and I never had to wait to be seated in the main dining room. The buffet tended to be crowded for breakfast on port days, but you could find a table - it just took a little more effort. No problems on our Spirit cruise last month. No waiting at Windows. We love freestyle dining. You eat when you want and where you want. No set times. It's great!

FreeStyle is not really working,that is why the other cruise lines have not followed NCL.

Huh? You can't be serious. Freestyle is terrific. We've never had an issue in five freestyle cruises--including two on Dream and two on Majesty. Why anyone says it doesn't work well on these ships is beyond me.

Why do you think stuffy old HAL is piloting open dining?

I have heard on the Pride ships as much as 2-hours.

I have heard that the cruisers on Celebrity are nothing but a bunch of stuffed shirts. Does that make it so? I doubt it but I wouldn't know since I have not experienced it. I have sailed with the Pride ships and have never waited more than a very few minutes to get in. Same with the NCL ships. I'll take experience over what I've heard.

Please give us the link so we can read the knowledge of your last statement. I would like to see the proof of that statement. Do you work for NCL and have knowledge that they are receiving all these letters and ignoring them? I don't know how anyone could have this knowledge and state it as fact without being on the inside.

that's why free-style works, make or not make reservations...it's up to you

Love your idea about freestyle not working, where did you get this? If it isn't working can you explain why 2 other lines have adopted the policy with others thinking about it. Actually one one line has it in place, another is starting in January. Where did you read all these letters written to NCL? This is just not true. As for the Pride ships, part of the problem is due to the long tours and everyone is returning at the same time. I am sure you realize NCL and NCLA are not the same. NMnita

Archived