Nail polish smudge with insect repellant/sunscreen?

Hellooo,

Sometimes when I use insect repellant, or sunscreens my nail polish smudges. It's like it 'unsets' it and it can smudge and go yucky. Can anyone recommend a top coat that doesn't do this?

This has also happened when I've had acrylics with some similar products too.

I always use a topcoat but was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Don't want to pay repeated visits to spa to fix my nails or be drying my nails for half the trip. ;)

When I used to have acrylic nails and I would have color put on and then go on a cruise, the sunscreen would cloud the color and make it look awful. Bugspray also would do that. I told my nail tech this and she put something on top and put me under a different light to dry. She then talked me into stop putting color on my nails and just do a natural solar gel nail. Nothing would discolor them. They looked beautiful and I could go once a month for fills.

Gee, I miss my solar nails:(

When I used to have acrylic nails and I would have color put on and then go on a cruise, the sunscreen would cloud the color and make it look awful. Bugspray also would do that. I told my nail tech this and she put something on top and put me under a different light to dry. She then talked me into stop putting color on my nails and just do a natural solar gel nail. Nothing would discolor them. They looked beautiful and I could go once a month for fills.

Gee, I miss my solar nails:(

They sounds great - ah - why did you stop? Too expensive (please forgive me for being personal)

Hi Jeri,

No, it wasn't too expensive. My DH kept telling me I couldn't grow real nails, so after our cruise on the Freedom I took them off and I'm proving him wrong:D I do miss the way my nails looked when I was going for the solar nails. They looked so natural. My nails are growing, but they look stubby:( . I find that I pick at them all the time now and when I had my acrylic nails, I didn't.

Hi Jeri,

No, it wasn't too expensive. My DH kept telling me I couldn't grow real nails, so after our cruise on the Freedom I took them off and I'm proving him wrong:D I do miss the way my nails looked when I was going for the solar nails. They looked so natural. My nails are growing, but they look stubby:( . I find that I pick at them all the time now and when I had my acrylic nails, I didn't.

Look for a product called NailTek Formula #2 . It's the only product that has ever worked for me. I owned a nail salon for years and wore gels and acrylics because i am a nailbiter. When I began using the Nailtek my nails hardened and grew like weeds. They have several formulas, one is specifically for nails after artificals. They carry it at Eckerd's here now, or a beauty supply may have it.

Hellooo,

Sometimes when I use insect repellant, or sunscreens my nail polish smudges. It's like it 'unsets' it and it can smudge and go yucky. Can anyone recommend a top coat that doesn't do this?

This has also happened when I've had acrylics with some similar products too.

I always use a topcoat but was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Don't want to pay repeated visits to spa to fix my nails or be drying my nails for half the trip. ;)

I have not found any nail products or brands that insect repellant don't affect this way, especially with the spray repellants.

Archived