Any hints for 1 Year old on Oosterdam

mapman_2004

Hi all.

I would appreciate any hints/thoughts/insights you might have for my wife and I. We will be bringing our 1 year (age at time of cruise) old daughter on the April 14th, 2007 Mexican Riviera Cruise. We want to do a couple of dinners and shos, so will we need an in-room sitter. Also, any hints for kids on the three ports: Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan?

Thanks for any help you might provide. Brian

Brian and Jim,

If no one answers, look for our review after our 11/25 - 12/2 trip. We will have our 11.5 month old with us.

We will not be dissapointed if we can't do any shows and are expecting most of our meals will be in the Lido, as we do not want to disturb other folks in the main dinning room in case our daughter decides to become 'vocal' during dinner. I would, however, enjoy the Pinnacle and wonder if they allow young ones. Will have to wait and see.

We also thought about a last row type seating for one of the shows so we could make a quick escape in case our daughter decides she no longer wants to keep quiet. She is an angel at home and loves seeing people and bright colors - so maybe she will like the show. A good escape plan and the knowledge that you can't plan on anything for sure - is a good way to avoid stressing yourself (and other cruisers!) out. At least, thats out motto.

The only issue we are looking forward to getting answers to onboard is the issue of swim diapers. This appears to be a hot topic, try using the search feature, and you will see what I mean.

It appears that the policy is no diapers in the pool. I agree that normal diapers in the pool would be a BIG turnoff. Swim diapers, on the other hand, are another subject (all municipal pools and the YMCA's in our area alow swim diapers). My wife told me today that if she had known in advance about the swim diaper issue, she would have booked another line. We are going to pack them and see what the pool rule enforcers say upon embarkation. It appears if HAL is trying to be family friendly, not allowing swim diapers is just the opposite.

Until then...

Hi all.

I would appreciate any hints/thoughts/insights you might have for my wife and I. We will be bringing our 1 year (age at time of cruise) old daughter on the April 14th, 2007 Mexican Riviera Cruise. We want to do a couple of dinners and shos, so will we need an in-room sitter. Also, any hints for kids on the three ports: Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan?

Thanks for any help you might provide. Brian

A frequent poster here, Iceman 93, has travelled on HAL with his toddler daughter. Here is a post where he describes some of his experience. Hopefully, he will see this thread, and post here himself. My youngest child is 8, and we have only recently become "cruisers", so I am not qualified to answer your question myself.

Karin

I would, however, enjoy the Pinnacle and wonder if they allow young ones. Will have to wait and see.

Only if you're absolutely willing to abandon your dinner if your child makes it verbally clear that she isn't as big on the Pinnacle experience as you are.

The only issue we are looking forward to getting answers to onboard is the issue of swim diapers. This appears to be a hot topic, try using the search feature, and you will see what I mean.

It appears that the policy is no diapers in the pool. I agree that normal diapers in the pool would be a BIG turnoff. Swim diapers, on the other hand, are another subject (all municipal pools and the YMCA's in our area alow swim diapers). My wife told me today that if she had known in advance about the swim diaper issue, she would have booked another line. We are going to pack them and see what the pool rule enforcers say upon embarkation. It appears if HAL is trying to be family friendly, not allowing swim diapers is just the opposite.

It's a health code issue. A couple of major lines (such as Disney) will allow swim diapers in the splash pools/water play areas only, where other lines prohibit them entirely from any of the pool areas. HAL is not unique in this respect; no line that I'm aware of will allow children that aren't toilet trained in any of the main pools.

My wife told me today that if she had known in advance about the swim diaper issue, she would have booked another line. We are going to pack them and see what the pool rule enforcers say upon embarkation. It appears if HAL is trying to be family friendly, not allowing swim diapers is just the opposite.

I don't know anything about swim diapers, but from what I heard they are not leak-proof, are they?

If I were you, I would contact Ships Services and pose your question to them. Who knows? Maybe HAL has changed their policy in light of their "family friendly" stance. If Ships Services tells you that swim diapers are okay, I would ask them to FAX me something in writing to that effect and then bring it along on the cruise (with the baby's swim diapers) in case anyone gives you a hard time when they see you and the baby frolicking in the pool.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You and your daughter will have a marvelous time. Realize you will be limited in what you can do because of her age, but that's just as it is at home.

The ports will be great experiences for new sights & sounds & tastes.

Plan plenty of beach experiences for her -- my daughter learned all about sand and surf at around that age. The waves gently lapping up to her while she plays in the warm sand will be an event for lots of photos and videos. She will obviously eat the sand . . every kid does . . . but they learn fairly quickly.

On board, there is always a band playing somewhere (so it seems). Kids that love music and dancing in mom or dad's arms.

At one year old she will be limited in what you can feed her on board. . . Bring some back up baby food from home . . . and plan on Ice cream every day!! It's a vacation!

You can expect extra special treatment from the crew. Many will look at your child and think of relatives back home!

Pack the portable playpen for on deck . . . That way when it's nap time you can still relax in the sun. if possible the carriage for when you're in port. And bring more pampers than you ever thought you copuld use in a week! If you run out on board -- You're stuck!

Don't worry about the shows... If you can't find a baby sitter -- she will sleep in your arms while you enjoy!

Have fun!

It sounds like from your first post- you have two other children? Did you book a second cabin? I would consider paying the third person fare and bringing along Grandma or a very trusted high school age cousin? They could sleep in the other cabin and you could work out some arrangement for babysitting.

I also think the poster who wrote about having little expectations is RIGHT ON!!

Good Luck.

Brian and Jim,

I would, however, enjoy the Pinnacle and wonder if they allow young ones. Will have to wait and see.

Pinnacle night would be an excellent time to use an in-cabin babysitter. I don't think there is a problem with well-behaved children who can sit still quietly for 2 hours, but a one year old in a high chair is really a different situation altogether. I know how the floor looks after a one yr old has been munching on snacks and sitting for 2 hours or so is more than I would expect of any toddler that age. The Pinnacle is fine dining and not really a family type restaurant for very young children.

My family will be on the Veendam 12/2-12/9 for our first cruise. Our daughter will be turning 2 while on the cruise. At first I was really bummed about the whole pool issue (she is in the midst of potty training, but probably won't be fully trained in 3 weeks), but I decided to go ahead and get an inflatable tub that we can use as a mini swim pool for her. She loves it, so we can be certain that she will also have a place to play in the water.

In the last week she has become thoroughly two, and so no longer quite the amazingly easy going angel that she was before. Fortunately, we will have a chance to adjust to her new mode before we leave, and hopefully she will have settled down some. However, that's what parenting is about, isn't it? Flexibility! When we are there, we will be able to figure out if her favorite sport of flirting with waiters will carry us through dinner in the dining room, other wise I guess that it is room service and the Lido for us... Wish us luck!

Have a great trip...

It sounds like from your first post- you have two other children? Did you book a second cabin? I would consider paying the third person fare and bringing along Grandma or a very trusted high school age cousin? They could sleep in the other cabin and you could work out some arrangement for babysitting.

You took the words out of my mouth. I was gonna suggest the same thing. If you're renting a second cabin anyway ... and can get a third person in there ... it would probably be worth it to offer someone a free cruise in exchange for babysitting services. With a one-year-old the OP is gonna be very, very restricted in what they can do ... especially in some ports and at night on the ship. Having a built-in babysitter available will be a major plus and well worth the added cost. It will make for a much nicer cruise for mom and dad ... not in that they will never keep the kids with them ... but in that there will be times they can go off together and enjoy a nice evening onboard ship together ... or an activity in a port that might not be suitable for children, or that could become prohibitively expensive if tickets had to be purchased for a family of five. A responsible babysitter ... an older niece or nephew or a grandparent ... could be just the ticket in ensuring that everyone has a great cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks for the info on the Pinnacle. We really do not want to cause a scene, and I would not feel comfortable if I knew my little one was disturbing folks during a nice meal.

I can't honestly say that I've ever seen children this young in the Pinnacle. I don't even know if they have highchairs available for children in that restaurant ... nor a child's menu available. Personally, I wouldn't even try to bring a one-year-old to a restaurant such as that.

Now the main dining room is a different story. If your child is the type who can keep themselves quietly entertained ... or who can simply nod off to sleep during the meal ... in other words won't disturb other diners ... then by all means, you should bring her to the dining room.

But the Pinnacle? I really don't think that's an appropriate venue for such a young child. Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank again for the messages, keep 'em coming.

I have only the one daughter, so just one cabin. I didn't even dream of taking her to the Pinnale. I wouln't take my infant to a place like that mainland...

Does anyone have experience with the in-cabin babysitting available? I was thinking of using that three of the nights we were sailing.

A friend of ours had a similar question as they are travelling with their young daughter. In her search she found an article about travelling on the Washington Post website. The text below is from that article:

"The CDC forbids kids who aren't potty-trained to use onboard pools; even those sturdy swim diapers won't protect clean water against an infected bowel movement."

Disney got around this by having a special "fountain area" that they can use.

Thanks for linking to my old post, middleagedmom. Next week we go on my daughter's third cruise (she's now 2 yrs 9 mos), and simply can't wait.

As to the posters who wouldn't bring a small baby into the Pinnacle Grill, that is certainly your choice. To those who think it is inappropriate, I respectfully disagree. As kryos mentioned, little ones frequently fall asleep particularly in quiet restaurants at late dining times. Heck, my daughter fell asleep in my wife's arms at the House of Blues Gospel Brunch (and anyone who's been to that KNOWS things can't get much louder!). And I don't know how children are supposed to learn how to behave in various environments without being exposed to them. We took my little girl to The Palm when she was less than two weeks old and have been back many, many times since. I know that partially I am incredibly lucky to have an easy-going child, but I also feel that by letting her participate in various experiences with us she has innately picked up what is considered appropriate behavior in various venues.

That being said, all children are different and even the most precious little angel can show her she-devil side at times. This is when parents have to do the right thing for everyone involved and pull them out. I will close by saying that the only inappropriate and rude behavior I've seen in the HAL dining room and Pinnacle Grill came from adults, not children.

Epperbiker, I got the tub from Babycenter.com. However, I am not sure that it would be large enough for a 2 1/2 year old. My daughter is currently 34 inches, and while she has some room left over when sitting in the tub, is isn't a lot. I know that some people have taken inflatable pools, which would give more room, however I wanted the extra flexiblity that went with the smaller tub.

I hope that you have a wonderful time on the Veendam!

As to the posters who wouldn't bring a small baby into the Pinnacle Grill, that is certainly your choice. To those who think it is inappropriate, I respectfully disagree.

I didn't say it was necessarily inappropriate. I said I don't think a child that young would be welcome in the Pinnacle Grill. I don't think I've ever seen high chairs in there and I know I've never seen a child that young dining there. I have, however, seen older children ... ten, eleven, twelve and older dining there with their parents ... but can't honestly say I've ever seen a baby or a toddler.

Also, why would you want to pay the additional $30 service fee for a child that young who probably won't even enjoy the meal? I doubt very much they have the facilities there to provide meals suitable for a very young child. True, you need to teach children how to dine with adults ... and this teaching involves taking them to nice restaurants to practice these appropriate behaviors. But, really ... come on ... isn't one a bit young to begin this "educational" process?

Blue skies ...

--rita

But, really ... come on ... isn't one a bit young to begin this "educational" process?

Not in my opinion, no. And of course the PG didn't charge for our little girl eating with us there. In fact, our normal waiter from the dining room found us at our table in the PG to deliver the little plate of pasta and steamed veggies that we'd been getting for her every night. Now that's service!

Archived