At a loss...large group to Rum Point?

rain_bowbrite

My family is at a loss and just not sure what to do at this port? We are a large family group, 30 of us total, with varying ages ...10 up to 75. Most of us want to snorkel but also want to have a relaxing beach day somewhere with shade available with easy access to dining and some shopping.

The oldest members of our group have limited mobility and will just want somewhere to sit and veg for the day. We have actually reserved 3 vans to drive to Rum Point but now we are having second thoughts based on some reviews we have read on here making it sound difficult to get there.

We will be there on Dec. 12th with 7 ships total in port so we are also trying to find someplace to escape the crowds. None of us have been to this port before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

We are planning on renting a car and going to Rum Point on our cruise which is only a couple weeks away. I agree it was a very scary thought at 1st. Somethings I read on these boards made me feel much better. Someone posted that the island is only 20 miles long. If you do a search on Run Point there are quite a few posts with detailed direstions. I know there is a longer more scenic route along the coastline and a shorter way through the middle of the island. I also read that they give you a good map and directions before you go. I think you would be fine.:D

First, I am unsure exactly where you will pick up your vans. With a group of your size, I would suggest calling ahead to see if the rental agency can arrange to bring the vans to the port area and do the paperwork there. Otherwise you will need to drive from the rental location (usually the airport) back to the port to pick up your group. I doubt the rental company will be prepared to transfer your entire group of 30 to the rental agency.

DIRECTIONS:

Regardless, of wher you are departing from, your first landmark is the roundabout (traffic circle) at Hurley's grocery store at Grand Harbour.

From the airport to Hurley's: Proceed back down Owen Roberts Drive (the road you came in on) until you must turn. Turn left on Dorcy Drive. You will pass the Foster's IGA grocery on your right and come to a mini roundabout 100 yards past Fosters. Proceed straight ahead through the roundabout and the road curves around the end of the airport runway. Continue until you must turn. Turn left, keeping the airport runway to your left. Stay on this road. In a couple miles you will come to a roundabout, proceed straight through the roundabout, and you will see the large Baptist Church complex on the right shortly. It's only a half mile or so straight ahead to the roundabout at Hurley's.

From the airport back to the port: Proceed back down Owen Roberts Drive (the road you came in on) until you must turn. Turn right on Dorcy Drive. Proceed until you must turn, and turn left on North Sound Road. In maybe half a mile you will pass the Tortuga Rum Cake main factory on your left and then enter a roundabout. You want to go straight through the roundabout and exit on Godfrey Nixon Way. Proceed to the first (and only) traffic light where you must turn. Turn right on Eastern Avenue. Proceed on Eastern Avenue and pass the Kirk Supermarket on your left. Turn left at the light onto North Church Street. North Church Street runs rigth along the waterfront, changing names to Harbour Drive and then South Church Street. Arrange to pick up your party somewhere along this road.

From the port to Hurley's: Head south (with the water on your right side) on North Church Street/Harbour Drive/South Church Street. You will pass the large fuel storage depots for Texaco and Esso. Keep going, the road wil eventually curve gently around to your left. It is several miles, but you are just following the coast. Eventually this road dumps you right into the roundabout at Hurley's. That was easy!

From Hurley's roundabout to Rum Point: Follow the signs to exit the roundabout toward Bodden Town and the eastern districts. You will pass through various communities but you are just staying on this road. At the roundabout in savannah you will see a new shopping center on the left and a Texaco station on the right... you are still going straight through toward the Bodden Town. In a few more miles you will pass through Bodden Town. A couple miles past Bodden Town you will enter the small community of Breakers. Your landmark is the Lighthouse Restaurant. One mile past the lighthouse is a large intersection with Frank Sound Rd. Turn left onto Frank Sound Road. Cross the island on Frank Sound Road. Toward the north end the road curves a couple times and you pass a gas station on your left. Stay on the road as it curves around to the left (and changes names) and heads west along the coast. In about 7 miles you will come to Rum Point, which is well marked and on your right.

For a group of this size, I do think that Rum Point would be a nice destination. I would suggest contacting:

Webster's Tours 345-945-1433, www.websters.ky or email websters@candw.ky

Tropicana Tours 345-949-0944, http://www.tropicana-tours.com/ or email tropcana@candw.ky

Majestic Tours 345-949-7773, www.majestic-tours.com or email majtours@candw.ky

Inquire about booking a bus for your group and leave the driving to someone else.

Wow...thanks for your quick replys and wonderful directions and advice. You have calmed my worries and I am not stressing about this port "as much"...lol.

Great idea about geting a bus! I am going to email each of those companies and get some information because I think this would be the best way to go becuase our biggest concern has been getting everyone actually in the rentals considering you pick up the cars a considerable distance from the tender pier.

Hopefully even though we are leaving so soon they will still have some options available for us!

Thanks again:D

Drew-How very nice of you to take the time to give the directions. Not too many people would do that.

We have been to Cayman MANY times, and always do Sea Grape beach, and we really like it. Do you think Rum Point is that much different than Sea Grape, and worth the extra time/effort/money it would take to get there?

Thanks so much!

Joanie

Rum Point...

1) is MUCH quieter typically.

2) has MUCH more shade.

3) is in a MUCH quieter part of the island.

4) has ONLY one gift shop

5) has ONLY one realistic option for lunch.

6) has hammocks!

7) has Alpha, a resident blue and gold macaw.

whether it is quiet on a day you visit may vary. The other aspects really don't change. They are either advantages or disadvantages, depending upon how you see them.

Drew,

I have been reading these boards for quite some time and I still am unsure if we could rent jet skis at Rum Point. Some boards have said non-motorized sports and some say motorized sports. Do you know which one is correct?

Drew,

Thanks for letting me know about the jetskis. I am traveling with a very large group to Grand Cayman about eighty people and I was wondering if you knew of a shuttle service we could hire to transport us to rum point and back to the ship.

mswmurf,

For a group of 80 you could consider a couple options:

1) Multiple buses from one of the transport companies I previously listed in this thread. Each bus typically seats about 30 people. Some of these companies provide "destination management" services and could arrange other activities.

2) You might consider contacting Red Sail Sports. They run the watersports concession at Rum Point and regularly arrange groups of this size and larger for Disney Cruise Line. They provide destination management services as well. They can discuss a combined land and water transportation, and even work with the Hyatt to arrange lunch for you at Rum Point. I have NO idea how it would price out.

Either way, I would STRONGLY encourage you to at least consider inquiring about pre-arranging lunch at Rum Point. If you don't want to involve a destination management company, contact the Hyatt directly on 1 (345)-949-1234 to discuss lunch arrangements. You can then book the transportation directly with one of the transport companies I mentioned.

Before making your decisions, inquire about cancellation provisions if you cruise cannot make the stop at Grand Cayman for whatever reason.

We are planning on renting a car and going to Rum Point on our cruise which is only a couple weeks away. I agree it was a very scary thought at 1st. Somethings I read on these boards made me feel much better. Someone posted that the island is only 20 miles long. If you do a search on Run Point there are quite a few posts with detailed direstions. I know there is a longer more scenic route along the coastline and a shorter way through the middle of the island. I also read that they give you a good map and directions before you go. I think you would be fine.:D

Could you tell me how much it would cost to rent a car at this port for the day. What a way to see alot more never thought of itThanks Lisa

We our renting ours from aviscayman.com. We chose the all inclusive rate which covers the insuarance and the driving permit. It is $49.99 for the day.:D

Thanks for the quick response Carlielyn I've got it wrote down for concideration.I like to just look around what a good way to see more at my own pace. Lisa

Archived