Easiest (and most effective) diet EVER - no joke.

bardgal

What store did you find them at? Are they the same chips that have 150 calories for 37 chips??

I was shopping at an oriental market today and found LOTS of rice-realted products..rice noodles, etc..but I can't vouche for the no wheat/no gluten thing. I didn't see anything in English that said wheat, and definately no sugar, but didn't want to take a chance. I make this really good hot/sour soup and can only find the ingredients there.

I ran 3 miles today then worked out with weights for an hour..my body feels like scrambled eggs!

I found them at Fresh Market. They must be the same....37 chips, relatively low calorie. Said right on the bag "No wheat/no gluten". There were 3 flavors: nacho, sea salt & pepper, and bbq (that had added sugar...not much, but still, added sugar so I didn't buy them). They are really good!!

I LOVE rice noodles. So easy to cook and so very good. I do wish I lived in an area that had more stores like that. Care to share your soup recipe??

Good for you for the workout! I'm getting there....I'm doing about 2.5 miles when I run, but do this about 3 times a week on a treadmill. I need to get my butt out on the street, but never get home when the sun is still up to do that. My dogs need the exercise too!! Hopefully this will change soon and we will have more sunlight in the early evening. What did you decide to do about the 5K/10K? One day I'd like to run one.

Random question....I know the rule is to limit potatoes from your diet. What about turnips or parsnips? Are they just as bad?

Meg

This is "pretty much" Suzanne Somers Somersizing. She calls the no-nos "funky foods". If you check out one of her books from the library, she has recipes or you can go to her website suzannesomers.com--under the community section she has recipes, too.

Sorry if somebody already posted this, but I didn't look through all 11 pages of replies...

Eat foods that are sugar free, wheat free, and gluten free?

This is "pretty much" Suzanne Somers Somersizing. She calls the no-nos "funky foods". If you check out one of her books from the library, she has recipes or you can go to her website suzannesomers.com--under the community section she has recipes, too.

Sorry if somebody already posted this, but I didn't look through all 11 pages of replies...

I've been lurking for a while (actually since this thread started). Not sure if this question has been answered before (and I'm not good at search engine here/and a bit lazy). I had lost ALOT of weight doing Atkins and then had maintained it for many years. Well life/stress has taken it's toll on me the last year and the weight had started to creep upwards (at times from no apparant place <broke my foot/heal/ankle, had surgery and very long recovery still in pain over a year later> . Have realized that sugar and wheat is definitely enemy.

Bardgal, been thinking about doing a steam or stirfry of veggies and possibly tofu (though not sure if tofu is OK since I've got thyroid problems). Had made a huge pot of veggies steamed w/ginger and garlic before which was good for volume "legal" eating. Is soy sauce "legal" on this WOE? I know tamari has some wheat "product" in it. Don't remember if soy sauce did <or if there's another substitute>. Been looking at salad dressings and other jarred this and eliminating those that have sugar/ fructose and corn syrup. Anything else to watch for.

TIA

Carolyn

I was diagnosed in October with Celiac Sprue after going thru terrible intestinal pain and unmentionable side effects for years...I was so ill I had lost interest in doing anything and spent a lot of time in bed. My joints ached and I had given up any exercise at all and the result was a weight gain even with running to the bathroom after each meal which should have been a tip off to me. My husband and I would often eat the same meal and I would be off to the bathroom within minutes and he would be fine. When I was diagnosed with Celiac I also found out that I had rheumatoid arthritis..also an auto-immune disease like Celiacs. At first I felt like a victim and was in a state of panic thinking that I could never again enjoy bread, cereals, pastries or any food containing gluten so I compensated by eating gluten free bread, pasta and other specially made gluten free foods thinking I was maintaining a healthy gluten free diet...big time mistake my friends, these special foods are so high in calories that I soon gained even more weight. What has not been mentioned before are the really life threatening aspects of Celiac disease...the gluten attacks the villi in your intestines and your body cannot absorb any of the nutrients from the food you eat, many times making you weak and affecting your body with multiple illnesses.

This week I have decided to completely change what I eat...I am sticking to fruits, veggies and mostly fish and chicken...I had not thought about sugars until I read this thread...but will do a little more reading and will now consider it. Right now I read each and every label of every food I buy that might contain gluten...just a tiny bit makes me very, very sick, leads to depression and takes me days to recover. In addition to wheat Celiacs cannot tolerate rye, barley, kamut, spelt, triticale or malt, some times gluten is hidden in foods, I have had to call manufactures so many times for clarification...I found Oats at a healthfood store that is 100% guaranteed gluten free and not grown where gluten containing grains were grown or processed on machinery which has processed wheat...I am so thankful I found these because I love oatmeal.

I am really motivated to lose these extra pounds but will have to do it with limited exercise unfortunately. WE just came home from a cruise a week ago and my knees are still really painful from taking the steps way too many times.

Sissy

P.S. Tamari is an excellent substitute for soy sauce and is gluten free.

Sissy! Welcome to our little No CookieCombo™ world! Glad to have you.

I have been a HUGE consumer of brown rice pasta. I eat TONS of the stuff and have lost weight. I also eat tortilla chips (Tostitos white corn restaurant style to be specific) as a substitute for bread.

I think the combo of eliminating both the wheat AND the sugar is what has made the difference for me.

Hopefully you'll be able to find an exercise program that works for you, since there is no way diet alone will get rid of the all the lbs. What about a stationary bike? Or a beginning yoga program?

Glad to have you, and good luck!

:D

I have been doing this way of life for 5 1/2 weeks and have lost 12 pounds! I am only 5 feet tall and only have 10 more pounds to go until I am at my goal of 110. I used to weigh this in high school, 25+ years ago.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Sam's Club has some awesome spicy salsa in the refrigerated section with only 5 calories per Tablespoon and no sugar. It is great with organic blue tortilla chips.

Has anyone tried the new Atkins Advantage bars? I love the Carmel with Chocolate Peanut Nougat, 1.5 oz has 150 calories, 7 g. fat, no gluten that I can see, no sugar alcohol, and 1 g of sugar (I can't figure out from what, there is no sugar in the ingredients). I only take one bite or so for dessert and one bar can last for 2 days. It does list polydextrose, as an ingredient, so if you don't want that, don't get these. 5 bars are around $5 at Walmart.

I lived in Southern California all my life and loved shopping at Trader Joes, they used to be a tiny chain with a really funky selection of merchandise. I know they have grown like crazy and what they carry is a little more reliable than it used to be now. We moved to Ok almost 10 years ago and we do not have Trader Joes here...we have other health food stores, but I really miss TJ's. We go to CA regularly to visit our daughter and I never miss a visit or two to TJ's and Whole Foods while there. We are planning to be there all of May and June this year and it will be the first time since I have been diagnosed with Celiac...I can't wait to see what they have for me. Sissy

Okay this diet is great... just don't get the brilliant idea I had of going to Costco the day you start... (sample temptation is EVIL!:mad: :mad: :mad: )

Anyway so far so good. My 16 year old daughter is going along with me in an attempt to relieve really bad PMS. We're hoping getting rid of the frozen crap she normally eats will help with the wonder better known as "menstrual pain". Wish us luck!

On the way to work this morning I saw a billboard advertising Barcardi Rum has having zero carbs & zero sugar.

No alcoholic beverage is good for any diet but I'm leaving on our cruise next week and know I will have a few cocktails while aboard. Would Barcardi and diet coke be a good choice, I don't care for wine very much.

Hope you don't mind me asking you these questions, but you have helped me alot.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Bargal thanks to you and going to ww, I've lost 9 pounds!!

I only have about 6 more till I reach my goal!!! It takes a lot self discipline for me to stay away from the flour and the sugar, but I've found that cheating isn't worth while. (When I do cheat, I notice that I get a really bad stomachache. )

Thanks to you, and this thread, I'll be able to enjoy my spring and summer wardrobe. It might even fun to go shopping for clothes again!!

bargal

i happened upon this site and read it all. i am 51, 5 feet and about 15 pounds overweight. i was disgusted that i was at my term pregnancy weight 2 years ago and did ww. i lost the weight, but in the last 2 years it has crept back on. i have to admit i am a sugar addict, i.e. dark chocolate, sweets like baked goods, and while l try to cut down, and buy the ww brands, it is an addiction, you still want them and crave them. our next cruise is august for our son's wedding. i am going to try this, figuring if i cut the sugar-flour-wheat, maybe i can get somewhere. I have IBS which only adds to the problem. and it is true, all the flour, wheat, sugar products do bother me. i am off to trader joe's tomorrow to check out the wheat and gluten free products. would you be able to tell me which fruits are off limits, as i do love fruit, and if any canned fruits can be used? Is regular mayo ok?how about the cheeses, i.e. ricotta, cheddars, monterray jacks? thanks so much to all for the helpful postings. is there a website or book that lists all the foods that are allowed on this life style change diet? thanks again to all.....

Kukiz - Rum is bad. It is made from sugar cane. Stay away from it. I'd have vodka over rum. I'd have damn near anything over rum. Stay away from beer as well. It's a cookie in a glass (wheat + flour.)

Javatlkrs! NICE WORK! CONGRATS!! Keep it up. You'll get there! :D

vamcd! Great to have you here.

Fruit: NO CANS (added sugar!) Fresh only. Google fruit sugar content. You will find that Hawaiian fruits, i.e. pineapple, mango, papaya (which I love) are very high, whereas berries, i.e strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc, are very low. Stay away from high sugar fruit if you are eating fruit. Stay away from juice, period. You can cheat with that later.

I stay away from fruit other than tomatoes and avocados which are very low. I eat a lot of salad.

Mayo: read lables, get as low fat as you can without added sugar. The problem with low fat items is usually there are tons of added sugar in them.

As for cheese - I LOVE cheese. Eat cheese. But be smart. If you eat 8 oz of cheese a day, you'll gain weight.

As far as a list, not that I've found. Maybe I should start a blog and make one. thoughts???

Keep us posted how you're doing.

• 1 month later...

I'm still doing. Although I feel like I am eating more and more blue tortilla chips than ever before, because they are quick and easy to munch on. I haven't lost any more, just maintaining. I think if I would have more veggies, some more weight might come off.

How is everyone else doing? :)

I read this thread about a month ago, and thought about doing it - actually, would love to do it (except for the fruit) and the problem with me is, when I start to go on a diet and deny myself things, I want them MORE. LOL I get in a bad mood. Dieting is super hard for me. I really only need to lose like 10 lbs to be good with the cruise. How long would it take me to lose 10 lbs if I did this diet semi-hard core? By semi-hard core, I mean trying really hard to cut out the flour and staying away from all obvious sugars (but still having fruit, and maybe the occassional piece of Hersheys?)

In order to be successful, you have to really want it. I have had a lot of weight to lose for a lot of years, and I tried a number of different things and was never able to keep it off. I finally decided that I had enough. I am on a doctor-monitored program that is low-calorie, high protein, limited fat, no sugar and and very low carb (only complex carbs from vegetables)... I have lost 20 pounds in a month! Lots more to go.. it was very hard the first week, but after giving up the sugar for a few days you don't even crave it anymore... and I FEEL so much better! The only time it is hard for me is when people eat things I love right in front of me.... pizza, ice cream, etc... of course I will probably eat a few things I shouldn't have on the cruise, but then I need to get right back to it so I don't gain weight again.

You can't think of it as a diet... it's a lifestyle.

Archived