What's wrong with a child alone in a cabin?

wencel

We will not be leaving DD to sleep on her own with monitoring. Originally we anticipated having grandparents on the cruise. We are now only travelling with cousins and their 2 yr old DD. The lil girls are very close and we are very close to our cousins so it should be a really great first cruise with children. Both couples hope to enjoy a bit of night life. I don't expect our cousins to stay in their cabin to monitor our child!

We will use the group-sitting option on eves we intend to stay 'out'. DD doesn't transfer well once she's asleep. I didn't want to negotiate several decks while carrying her back to the cabin at the end of the evening. So instead of a cat 6A cabin on deck 1, we got a balcony cabin on the same deck as CC. This seems to be a good solution. And the balcony gives us a place to sit and chat during nap time.

Thanks for the words of support, HappyChick. I realize people are responding with their genuine concerns and truly I prefer to hear it ALL so I feel confident of my decision.

So instead of a cat 6A cabin on deck 1, we got a balcony cabin on the same deck as CC. This seems to be a good solution. And the balcony gives us a place to sit and chat during nap time.

Great choice!!!! I've found that balcony cabins ARE the best when traveling with a toddler. You just can't beat them.

My next cruise was a VERY last minute deal so I could only get an OV...we'll see what its like trying to get a toddler to sleep in the same room while I'm there. :eek:

Have a great cruise!

wencel

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!! We cruised with our grand

daughter last Feb, she was 16 mo. My daughter took advantage of CC

nite time babysitting 3 times that week and was very pleased with the

program. She just had to keep in mind that schedules get turned around

and naps are sometimes taken while at the beach, in the stroller or by

the pool. Baby was sleeping in stroller each time she was brought to

CC. Although she is also not a good sleeper it seemed the fresh air and

all the activity tired her out as much as the rest of us!!!:) She transferred to her crib each nite with no problem.

That's good to know, wentworth. I expect that DD will stay up later than usual during the cruise. I just hope she'll also sleep in a little, too :) !

LOL.........I hope this works for you..........it didn't for her:) No really,

she did fine but was exhausted at the end of the day so after dinner we

strolled around the ship for a while and she fell asleep in her carriage. We

were even able to go to the early shows (top level) and wheel her carriage in out of the way. No late sleeping for her though she was up and ready first thing in the morning -- her parents were not quite as

ready ;)

Think you made the right decision on monitoring her and I KNOW you'll

enjoy your balcony!!!! Enjoy your cruise and most of all have FUN with

your family.:)

Eskwire, my thought was to leave my 2 yrs old asleep in a crib in a cabin by herself while a family member is in an adjoining or cross hall cabin with a VISUAL & audio monitor (the visual has nightvision and works with less than 1 lux light environment - although I would leave a night light in my child's cabin). Basically this would happen during her afternoon nap or when some of us are at dinner or shows. And DD would be monitored by a family member. At no time would DD be left unmonitored. And at no time would a family member be further away than next door or right across the hall.

I've received lots of helpful comments, particularly about ship listing, etc. I would not worry about strangers entering DD's cabin. We use an excellent monitoring system and if any such event occurred, the monitor would transmit it very well (esp since cabin doors open & close so loudly!). I am so aware of monitor noise that I am awakened by the sound of DD shifting in her bed.

DD has never tried to climb out of a crib (although there's always a first time). But if she did while alone in the cabin, again, I don't see why we couldn't get to her any sooner than if she did so at home on the 3rd floor while we were on the 1st floor.

I think the main concern is possibility of fire or listing so violent that it knocks her crib over... a rather rare but very possible occurrence. Then again, fire is likely to happen at home too.

I'm very cautious about my child. But I also try to be reasonable. It's very helpful reading everyone's opinions as that will ensure I made the most educated, aware decision, whatever that is. At this point, I'm still undecided.

Wencel, you are the parent and if you are comfortable in doing this it is YOUR choice, and others opinions really don't matter.

I admit I could not do this, but that IS personal choice, and of course I would miss certain things because of this.

I think your plan has merit, but may I suggest if you have a balcony het a portable sensor to set on the door, this way if the family member is not watching at least they will hear if the door opens.

Enjoy yourselves, and do what you are happy with, it is your family after all.

Archived