Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

Go for theSting Ray C:) ity tour. It was the most memorable of our excursions in the Grand Caymens. Prior to our involvement with cruising we stayed a week in the Grand Caymens and did every excursion offered...Sting Ray City is a must!

Melissa, my vote for you is to choose the one thing you have always wanted to do but were afraid to. Parasailing, snorkeling, whatever. Enjoy the thrill and rush afterwords and you will ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner. There are no guarantees in life, enjoy everyday the Lord blesses us with to the fullest.

Then go sample all the rum....it's free.

Melissa,

We took our Granddaughter on her first cruise in February of this year, and all she wanted to do was stay at the Kids Club :mad: . I tricked her one morning and turned the TV to the Tour previews. Of course she wanted to go swimming with the Stingrays. Unfortunately the Tour was completely sold out, so we took her second choice and went on the Turtle Farm/Hell/Rumcake Factory Tour. If there is ever a next cruise with her, we WILL be doing the Stingray Tour.

Melissa,

I'm going with the majority on this one. We did this with Captain Marvin two years ago and we really enjoyed it. My wife is not a swimmer, but she got up the courage and really had fun with the rays. We bought the video and still enjoy looking at it, especially since I love the background music. We would recommend a private tour, not one of the big party boats. We got much better assistance and we learned about GC from the crew as we snorkeled and at Sting Ray City. Great experience, not to be missed.

Melissa,

I'm going with the majority on this one. We did this with Captain Marvin two years ago and we really enjoyed it. My wife is not a swimmer, but she got up the courage and really had fun with the rays. We bought the video and still enjoy looking at it, especially since I love the background music. We would recommend a private tour, not one of the big party boats. We got much better assistance and we learned about GC from the crew as we snorkeled and at Sting Ray City. Great experience, not to be missed.

Parasailing is AWESOME!!! If you've never done it, you should try it. What an incredible view! Your instructor will show you everything you need to know before you take off, so no worries there.

I cannot tell you how incredible the view is, ans such an exhilerating feeling it is (almost like you're flying:-)

Sometimes the operator will let your friend ride in the boat to take a picture of you from that angle. Or you can also ask him/her to take one of you if you're traveling alone. I can guarentee it will bring back some butterflies to your tummy every time you look back at that picture and remember the experience.

The sting ray swim is a wonderful experience. I grew up loving the ocean and my yankee husband from PA was a little uneasy about doing it. After much pleading he agreed to get off the execursion boat and into the water. More pleading and he actually started enjoying it. Insisted on getting the DVD and when we went to the Caymans the 2nd time, his choice was the swim again.

sting ray city sit the one to do. part of the fun is the whole community spirit you share with others on your boat, swimming in the warm ocean, feeding and playing with barbless rays. and the fun is ageless, anybody and everybody can enjoy the experience, from 5 to 105.

john

Melissa,

We took a stingray tour, arranged on shore. It was very nice. My wife said that she would just ride along and watch, but when she saw how much fun we were all having, she put on her bathing suit and got in with us. She didnit let her feed touch the bottom, even though it was only about 3.5 feet deep.

Duane

You should go parasailing!! For sure. I mean come on, how many fish can you look at, REALLY. I have been parasailing 3 times. Twice in Hawaii, once in Mazatlan. Each time you go, it is a different experience. Trust me, 6-8 minutes will be a good amount of time for your first time. Ask the driver NOT to dip you if you don't want to get wet!!!! Not to many people will have the view you will, I can guarantee you that. If you can, bring a camera up with you. Make sure it has a wrist stap on it though. If you can go tandem, it's a little more fun because you can laugh together! Singles are nice too. Relaxing most of the time. Just have a great time, whatever it is you will do!

You should really try this. We absolutely loved this excursion. I'm a bit of a chicken but was comfortable with the excursion offered the crew was great and I didn't want to come out of the water with the sting rays. If you can get a picture with the sting ray just to prove you did it

All the people I know who've been to Stingray City have said it is the best tour they've experienced. At the end of December, I'll be going to Grand Cayman and plan to finally have that thrill myself. Whichever excursion you choose, I hope you have a terrific time. :D

Cindy

Sting Ray City has to be the best choice. I haven't done it yet as I haven't been to Grand Cayman. But the day will come, and you can bet that I'll be making that excursion a priority! My wife and I just recently snorkeled for the first time in Aruba, and it is now a permament activity for all future cruises where it is a feasible activity!

I've done the Stingray City thru RCCL's tour and while it was quite an experience, if I had to do it over again, I think that I would enjoy parasailing and getting a bird's eye view of the island!

In the stingray tour, there were too many of us in the group and our stingray "expert" was a bit of a Barney Fife. I'd go for a small charter group, if I did it again. They probably/hopefully have a guide that would be much more personable, as well as having a smaller group.

Also, the stingrays love to go up and thru your legs, especially from behind you, and it really creeped me out. It really tickled and I was too afraid to move when they were doing this.

The "pros" regarding the stingrays are that they are beautiful to watch, and the area that you are in is so beautiful....I would have loved to have snorkeled around there.

Hope this helps you some! And have a WONDERFUL trip!

Hi Melissa!

My husband and I did Sting Ray City when we sailed on Carnival Valor last October 2005. I was very afraid to swim with them. When we got there I stood very still and soon sting rays came to me, swimming up over my back and down the front of me. Then swimming around me. If you look at their white bottom they look like a smilie face! They kept swimming around my feet and going up and over me until I was no longer afraid of them. You can feed them the fish the tour guides give you. They are such gentle creatures at Sting Ray City. I'm sure they are very used to people since they have been coming to this protected spot for many, many years to be fed. I do, however, object to people picking them up to be photographed. I think they deserve to be left to their own friendliness and habits and for us to enjoy them as they are.

Can't wait to sail on Carnival Ecstacy Nov 27 2006 Just a few days away!

Hi,

My hubby and I are going to GC the first part of Dec aboard the Voyager. We are going to snorkle with the rays so there is my vote! We will use Capt. Marvin, he seems to be a popular guy :D .

Horse back riding if you've never been would be my second vote. Riding a horse is an experience no one should miss out on! :) These tour groups with the horses are a perfect place to learn the very basics and have a blast! The animals are unusually gentle. I told My DH that I wanted to do things on the cruise that I couldn't do anywhere around here (WA) I can para-sail on the lake an hour away from home. Swimming with rays? not gonna have the chance to do that on the west coast!:( What ever you choose Have a wonderful time.

Trudy :rolleyes:

All of you above have great choices, but even though it is not on the nominee's list our choice is . . .

Swim in the Spanish Bay Reef Resort’s pool, relax in the Jacuzzi, swing in a hammock under the pines and soak up the sun. Your tour includes transportation, open bar, buffet lunch, and use of hotel facilities including snorkeling gear.

This is an RCL sponsored excursion. And how can you go wrong with ALL of the above?

Archived